Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-20-2014, 05:58 PM   #11
Fred Brackin

Default Re: [IW] Infinite geography

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgb View Post
Thanks for all the input. I hadn't really thought about the discworld case, as I don't naturally think of that as linking to Infinite Worlds - even though there is a brief visit to Earth in one of the early books. Interesting ideas though. I'm surprised no-one mentioned the impact of L-space...
Discworld is only possible in the IW setting as a "Myth" parallel wherein fiction on the IW world is discovered to be reality elsewhere.

Yrth turns out to be an Earth duplicate in Banestorm, altered in ancient times by asteroid bombardment. the tell is in its' identical Moon, years, constellations etc.
Old 06-20-2014, 08:19 PM   #12
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyneras View Post
I tend to play with the idea that Infinity and Centrum don't know as much as they think they do, but just enough to make predictions that seem right until it gets them into deep trouble ( and lead to ADVENTURE!)

So a conveyor in London would take them to alternate London's (or where London would be if it had a London)... until it inexplicably puts them 20,000 feet over the middle of the pacific ocean on a world where the only difference is that Microsoft has a slightly different logo.
As long as some of the time at least the reason for such discrepancy can be discovered, I love it.

It's not the obvious geological similarity that matters but X.
Ley line convergences.
Historical volcanic eruptions.
Sites of presidential assassinations.
Old 06-20-2014, 08:32 PM   #13
Dwarf99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyneras View Post
only difference is that Microsoft has a slightly different logo.
Doors instead of Windows? Rooms instead of Tabs?
Dwarf99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 12:04 AM   #14
arconom

If your nexer failed his parachronics check, you might end up on the back of a giant turtle flying through space. Good luck climbing onto the disc.

In most of my IW games, the player characters tended to lose their transport. That made the return trip usually require some adventuring and spilled blood. Quite literally the cops' only method of transport was a teleport spell that required 8 pints of fresh blood.
arconom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 08:24 AM   #15
cacosta

I would like to know if this would apply to other analogous astronomical bodies. You see, I want to GM an Infinity adventure in Steel, which I think its an amazing scenario, even more so because during the adventure the IA Brisbane will discover parachronics (and became the terror of the multi-verse - the Brainiac of my game). But in this parallel, there is a friendly IA in the dark side of the moon that is human-friendly, and I want to make it the main ally of Home World and the remaining humans of Steel, the IA Serenity; also, there is a small astronaut colony on Mars, sent there before the Last War between the machines and humanity (and in my game world, the settlement on Mars will have a lesser IA, build by the astronauts there with help of Serenity on Moon . So, I would have a political meeting in Home World to have a great International Space Program to deploy conveyors on Moon and Mars, to send raw material to both the IA Serenity and the colony on Mars, and to help Serenity overtake the IA Luna. So, you think a conveyor on Moon or Mars would travel to the same place on those cosmological bodies?

Last edited by cacosta; 06-21-2014 at 12:53 PM.
cacosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 08:52 AM   #16
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by cacosta View Post
I would like to know if this would apply to other analogous astronomical So, you think a conveyor on Moon or Mars would travel to the same place on those cosmological bodies?
Yes.

Infinity would probably utilize the space capabilities of parallels with space travel before they built their own from scratch. At least in the short run. There are many. One Lucifer, multiple azoths, Louis' home, others. They do tend to be weird tech.

Homeline does already have its' own space tech. If you look in the section for Special Ops on p.14 of the IW book there's a mention of Homelines own "Icarus-class suborbital VTOL gunships" that carry 24 men and have their 0own built-in conveyors. Anyone who can build one of those can probably get to the Moon pretty easy. Mars might be harder but you can still borrow other people's space travel capabilities.
Old 06-21-2014, 01:40 PM   #17
arconom

Don't forget the fungi from Yuggoth. Chances are Infinity has stolen some magical transport.
arconom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 04:37 PM   #18
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

When I run IW infinity has conveyors attached to satellites, so they can flit from world to world without drawing much attention at all.

But yes, infinity is much more likely to send agents into space the 'long way', using other people's space programs. It should be quite doable.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 04:40 PM   #19
scc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
Yes.

Infinity would probably utilize the space capabilities of parallels with space travel before they built their own from scratch. At least in the short run. There are many. One Lucifer, multiple azoths, Louis' home, others. They do tend to be weird tech.

Homeline does already have its' own space tech. If you look in the section for Special Ops on p.14 of the IW book there's a mention of Homelines own "Icarus-class suborbital VTOL gunships" that carry 24 men and have their 0own built-in conveyors. Anyone who can build one of those can probably get to the Moon pretty easy. Mars might be harder but you can still borrow other people's space travel capabilities.
The Azoths are magic settings, doesn't work. The Lucifer is some wort of super science setting, I'd presume the magic rocks that make space travel work there don't work anywhere else, and Louis' home is an advanced future, Infinity steers clear of those where ever possible
scc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 04:56 PM   #20
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by scc View Post
The Azoths are magic settings, doesn't work. The Lucifer is some wort of super science setting, I'd presume the magic rocks that make space travel work there don't work anywhere else, and Louis' home is an advanced future, Infinity steers clear of those where ever possible
Yes, but its not about getting spacecraft, its about getting forces to make contact with the AI on the moon. For which modes of travel that only work on one timeline are absolutely fine: you get up to the moon, don your advanced gear, and jump to the target world line.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
infinite worlds