Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-25-2014, 06:43 PM   #21
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: [RPM] Misc Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angle View Post
my main problem with buying it as a follow up innate attack is that that seems much too cheap. as a follow up, it costs 4 or 5 energy per die, depending on whether or not you have follow up be +0% or -20% for (Melee attack, reach C, 1). This means you can add +3d for a mere 12-15 energy plus duration, effects, and greater effects multiplier. This seems a little too powerful. But if you buy it as a bonus turning the numbers into dice, it seems to cost about what I feel it should.
You could also do it this way: to add a plain Jane "magical" bonus to a sword's attack use Strengthen Matter and Bestows a Bonus. To add a form of energy do the same thing - but use Create Energy. Honestly, I don't have a issue with Innate Attack like this, I do limit the dice of damage to whatever the maximum is in the setting (so about 4d for most games) and that seems to deal with the munckinry. It also occurs to me that you could use the method for conjured weaponry as well. To do that you'd need Create Matter (to create typical version of whatever weapon you've conjured) and Bestows a Bonus to increase the bonus to hit, breakage, damage, etc. For weapons made of energy you'd do the same thing except add Create Energy.

It's not really adding as much damage as you think. You still have to hit with it, and it still has to go through their DR. BTW, you can't have Follow-Up and Melee Attack on the same Innate Attack - Melee Attack would be included in the spell. If you were building everything as a advantage - yes, but the way you are proposing - I'd say no.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 06:44 PM   #22
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
Doesn't seem particularly cheap when I ran it through (I have a character who may use it)

Coooooold Steel: This adds 3d burning (intense cold) damage to a steel weapon. It also causes spiffy vapor trails as the water in the air freezes in its wake.

This Casting: Greater Destroy Energy (5) + Lesser Control Magic (5) + Duration, 10 minutes (1) + Altered Trait, , 3d Burning followup (15). 78 energy (26×3).
You need "No Incendiary" on that Burning Attack unless it's some sort of crazy "cold fire" which can start fires.

Become a Patron!
Old 01-25-2014, 06:51 PM   #23
Kalzazz

I don't remember seeing No Inciendiary, where or which book is it?

It shouldn't raise the cost very much I wouldn't think though
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 06:54 PM   #24
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
I don't remember seeing No Inciendiary, where or which book is it?

It shouldn't raise the cost very much I wouldn't think though
It's a Missing Damage Effect from Powers (p.102) and is worth -10%

Become a Patron!
Old 01-25-2014, 07:52 PM   #25
Angle

Quote:
Doesn't seem particularly cheap when I ran it through (I have a character who may use it)

Coooooold Steel: This adds 3d burning (intense cold) damage to a steel weapon. It also causes spiffy vapor trails as the water in the air freezes in its wake.

This Casting: Greater Destroy Energy (5) + Lesser Control Magic (5) + Duration, 10 minutes (1) + Altered Trait, , 3d Burning followup (15). 78 energy (26×3).
That is pretty damn cheap, especially because by the rules I'm using for DF, that's a lesser effect. Compare with

Fireball
Greater Create Matter [6] (Explosive Fireball) Lesser Control Magic: cast as charm [5]
Damage: External 4d+2 Explosive [5]
Enhancements: Explosive 1 [10]
Cost : 78 (26*3)

This might do 4d+2 to one target once, assuming you hit with it, and might do some percentage of that to nearby enemies. That spell could do 3d a whole lot of times, depending on how often you attack (and hit) with it.

Last edited by Angle; 01-25-2014 at 07:58 PM.
Angle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 08:04 PM   #26
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
That is pretty damn cheap, especially because by the rules I'm using for DF, that's a lesser effect. Compare with

Fireball
Greater Create Matter [6] (Explosive Fireball) Lesser Control Magic: cast as charm [5]
Damage: External 4d+2 Explosive [5]
Enhancements: Explosive 1 [10]
Cost : 78 (26*3)

This might do 4d+2 to one target once, assuming you hit with it, and might do some percentage of that to nearby enemies. That spell could do 3d a whole lot of times, depending on how often you attack (and hit) with it.
You're going to need to figure out what's going to work when you go into specific setting territory. While I appreciate Langy (he's a wonderful chap) - I do not agree with his assumptions for using ritual path magic in DF. That said, going by those guidelines I'd use my alternate method and use Bestows a Bonus, that should keep high levels of damage restricted suitably (anything over +4 is going to be stupid expensive).

Become a Patron!
Old 01-25-2014, 08:31 PM   #27
Angle

Why don't you want to use RPM with DF? It's somewhat more complicated than DF usually uses, but that's easily enough worked around - just insists that all wizards take "Grimoire or ritual mastery required" on their magery.

Last edited by Angle; 01-25-2014 at 08:35 PM.
Old 01-25-2014, 08:35 PM   #28
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Why don't you want to use RPM with DF? It's comewhat more complicated than DF usually uses, but that's easily enough worked around - just insists that all wizards take "Grimoire or ritual mastery required" on their magery.
I didn't say that. I said...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
...I do not agree with his assumptions for using ritual path magic in DF.
In other words: I would have done it differently. That's all. :-)

Become a Patron!
Old 01-25-2014, 08:39 PM   #29
Angle

oh... Alright, fair enough.
Old 01-25-2014, 08:46 PM   #30
Angle

Of course, that brings up the question of how would you do RPM in dungeon fantasy?

Tags
ritual path magic, rpm