Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-08-2013, 09:37 AM   #1
fifiste

Default RPM grimoire only

I have an idea for a magic system that at least first sounded rather self consistent in my own thoughts. Still I would like some feedback and have also a few questions.
Idea .... Use RPM as in Monster Hunters - with exceptions. You can in reasonable time cast only pre-defined spells that are in your grimoire already.(maybe treat PC-s as adepts in these cases and non-adepts in other cases).

For adding new spells into grimoire you need to do it as an invention - with thaumatology as the invention skill.

The idea here is to remove some of the on the fly adjudicating troubles form the GM and to remove time spent on figuring out spell parameters on the fly. It can help the players more prone to decision paralysis and especially the other fellows on the table.

And i think in some games it can give cool focus on the research and development angle and on some others vice versa remove all this from sight(keep it DF-ish) and just use spells bought/looted/found etc.

Questions:
Should I just use the costs on the inventions chapter?
What would TL-s be? - the complexity would probably be rather high for most spells?
What would be the cost at character development to have some list of spells already in your grimoire ? Figure out their retail price somehow and buy them for cash/points for cash or signature gear etc.?
fifiste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 09:53 AM   #2
vierasmarius

Default Re: RPM grimoire only

Quote:
Originally Posted by fifiste View Post
I have an idea for a magic system that at least first sounded rather self consistent in my own thoughts. Still I would like some feedback and have also a few questions.
Idea .... Use RPM as in Monster Hunters - with exceptions. You can in reasonable time cast only pre-defined spells that are in your grimoire already.(maybe treat PC-s as adepts in these cases and non-adepts in other cases).
I'm definitely in favor of this kind of system. It keeps the flexibility and balance of RPM, while minimizing the in-game time and calculations. Langy proposed a similar thing for RPM in DF.

Quote:
Questions:
What would TL-s be? - the complexity would probably be rather high for most spells?
What would be the cost at character development to have some list of spells already in your grimoire ? Figure out their retail price somehow and buy them for cash/points for cash or signature gear etc.?
Here's one option from Ghostdancer:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
I did this exact thing when running one of my campaigns. I transitioned over from the standard spell system to RPM (which is also when I did my own conversion of Magic spells to ritual path magic spells). At first, I only allowed rituals that duplicated existing spells, then I slowly allowed the PCs (and one in particular) to figure out that spells weren't as rote as they thought. Adding a Armor Disorder to Fireball, increasing the time of the Haste ritual and so on. I treated each "varied" spell as a Simple invention and "new" spells as Average (for 30 energy or less), Complex (for 30 to 150 energy), and Amazing (151 or more energy). It worked pretty well and eventually one new spell lead to the fracture of magical energy that enabled the use of free form spell casting.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 10:02 AM   #3
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:

For adding new spells into grimoire you need to do it as an invention - with thaumatology as the invention skill.

The idea here is to remove some of the on the fly adjudicating troubles form the GM and to remove time spent on figuring out spell parameters on the fly. It can help the players more prone to decision paralysis and especially the other fellows on the table.

And i think in some games it can give cool focus on the research and development angle and on some others vice versa remove all this from sight(keep it DF-ish) and just use spells bought/looted/found etc.
Hmmm. Okay.

Quote:
Short Answer: Yes. I've already talking at this in a another thread here.

Quote:
Instead of a prerequisite chain (which is what they suggest in Magic), I gave a -5 penalty beyond the first Path skill required (doubled if you don't have Ritual Adept), -1 per Lesser effect, and -2 per Greater effect.

Quote:
An Unusual Background (Ritual Inventor) [10] for any number of original spells, and Secret Spell [1] for just a few spells, with a perk required for each spell. I'd remove the need entirely or reduce it for those with Ritual Adept.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 10:27 AM   #4
Peter Knutsen
Banned

I think if you were to go a Ritual Perk only-route, you should give each character (not just player characters, but all characters) a number of free Ritual Perks, derived from some value. It could be IQ, or half of IQ+Thaumatology, or 2 per Path skill the have learned (minimum 1 CP), or anything like that. In order to offset the high cost of having to buy those Perks, which was never thought into the RPM system as a mandatory element.
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 11:39 AM   #5
mehrkat

I've been trying to figure out how I wanted to deal with calculation time. I've got an inspiration for a "typical" fantasy game where the magic system is RPM but they can only do "precasts". Basically require them to have a safe space to cast.
In my brain it feels a lot like fire and forget magic.

However, maybe Peter's idea for required rituals might work as my main problem is how do I keep from boring my nonmage characters.
Old 10-08-2013, 11:57 AM   #6
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehrkat View Post
However, maybe Peter's idea for required rituals might work as my main problem is how do I keep from boring my nonmage characters.
In general, if you spend a lot of work making the magic system cool, and less work making the non-magic stuff cool, you're going to wind up encouraging people to play mages. I'm finding my preferences moving towards totally eliminating tactical magic.
Old 10-08-2013, 08:12 PM   #7
Adelus

I really like this idea, and was eagerly awaiting the RPM book for ideas on tackling this to use RPM as a sorta building system for academic spells, but I can see a few problems.

If you allow spells to be cast on a non-adept timeframe without the restriction of having spells with Ritual Mastery, in their Grimoire, or some kind of Technique system (which I was planning for my house rules), then you run the risk of people only using their grimoires for combat-scale spells, spells they really want buffed, etc. Everything else they'll do when they have time, or make charms for it.

You might want to make non-Grimoire casting take a bit longer or impose some other difficulties, otherwise players might neglect the system when not under time-sensitive conditions.
Adelus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 01:55 AM   #8
fifiste

Quite right. I was more in line thinking that they will not only use the timeframe for non-adepts but actually be non-adepts when not using grimoires with all appropriate penalties.
What to you think the Ritual adept(with grimoire only spells) should be worth in this campaign?
Also it would probably be good idea to keep (most/all) grimoires a spellbooks only meaning no flat bonuses. Grimoire that will give somekind of bonus to casting would be rare or non-existent.
Old 10-09-2013, 09:36 AM   #9
vierasmarius

Quote:
What to you think the Ritual adept(with grimoire only spells) should be worth in this campaign?
I think somewhere in the ballpark of -50% would be fair.

Quote:
Also it would probably be good idea to keep (most/all) grimoires a spellbooks only meaning no flat bonuses. Grimoire that will give somekind of bonus to casting would be rare or non-existent.
Not sure why you'd need to limit grimoires. I'd just add a new Grimoire size to the bottom of the chart: +0 Bonus, 1 lb, x0.05 cost. Or if you really think the existing grimoires are too generous, drop all of their bonuses by 2 points, so the 2lb version becomes +0.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 03:49 AM   #10
fifiste

I was thinking about enchanted items too. When going DF, DD style then tehy will just loot or buy them. In case they are interested in makeing teir own though the RPM is not so good at long time lasting enchantemnts.
I as thinking that enchanted items should come from skills like alchemy and symbol drawing etc.
A simple idea would also use the invention rules - so every magic item is a single and somewhat unique invention/project. Invention rules make for quite costly both in time and cost items so would suit for artifacts like magic items are. Just put them down as something very complex and expensive with no known exemplars to reverse engineer them and voila.
Require alchemy, thaumatology, symbol drawing and what not for engineering rolls and its done.
Maybe for not so flashy consumables a standard alchemy system from magic is also ok.

Tags
ritual path magic