Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-13-2013, 02:16 PM   #131
Langy

Default Re: The future of Ritual Path Magic

You may feel that way in general, but I really doubt a grimoire of magic spells can be sold one path at a time like that and do well. Besides, how many spells do you want? Even at 100 per path, that's going to be only something like 16 pages each (900 total, roughly the same as in GURPS Magic). Even if you add in 8 pages of general rules/GMing advice per book, that's still only 24 pages a book. Seems short, though at least 24 pages is a size SJG has published before.
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 03:04 PM   #132
dataweaver

Yeah, per-Path probably wouldn't be the way to go for a series of RPM supplements. There would need to be some other organizational principle, such as what kinds of uses the rituals are designed for. For instance, the different classifications of styles outlined in Thaumatology: Magical Styles: elemental rituals, folk magic, magical trades, war magic, scholarly magic, and religious rituals could provide a solid start for such a series.
Old 10-13-2013, 09:08 PM   #133
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataweaver View Post
Yeah, per-Path probably wouldn't be the way to go for a series of RPM supplements. There would need to be some other organizational principle, such as what kinds of uses the rituals are designed for. For instance, the different classifications of styles outlined in Thaumatology: Magical Styles: elemental rituals, folk magic, magical trades, war magic, scholarly magic, and religious rituals could provide a solid start for such a series.
Now your talking about soemthing that ha value.
Paths are too broad and often someone might not know where to look for a aprticualr Ritual. But by theme it has merit.
Also a theme is easier to organize crunch for.

Merchant magic could go over different ideas of what happens when the duration expires, ways to protect against inflation and magical fraud.

Military magic of course has so many ideas it needs no explanation.

Religious can handle different ideas on gainin energy from congregations and gods. Also what happens when your god does not approve of your spell?

Craft and Tradesman can handle more detail on building manufactured goods.

Lot of potential here, may of which could be fairly short and digestable.
Also some of these would make good Pyramid articles. Perhaps as a test bed.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 02:11 AM   #134
SCAR

In a previous discussion of issues with the standard Magic Book/System, David Pulver made some suggestions for organizational structure which I think apply equal here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David L Pulver View Post
Spells should be better organized by genre and use.

(a) There should be a fundamental core of "traditional" spells that provide the sort of effects suitable for most campaigns that use magic. Demon summoning, divination, glamor, zombie, weather control, suggestion, etc. These are the spells suitable for low-fantasy, horror, modern-day magic, etc. games. They are spells that primarily either produce subtle effects or effects that are clearly traditionally necromantic or supernatural. In general, these spells are those that you would not find out of place reading about in a horror story, a medieval legend, Lord of the Rings, etc.

(b) There should be a second tier of spells that cover the flashier fantasy effects. These spells are those that would not be out of place in an Arabian Nights tale, a D&D campaign, a supers campaign, etc. Mark them with the magical equivalent of a Superscience tag or a separate chapter. Flight, teleport, etc.
Organisation by Genre makes sense for publication as separate PDFs, as you're more likely to find people interested in particular genres and not in others, than you are in professions (I think).
SCAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 04:25 AM   #135
dataweaver

A "subtle" vs. "flashy" system is already kind of in place through the Lesser/Greater Effects distinction; but I could see having a "cinematic"-style tag along the lines of what David Pulver suggests using a purely ęsthetic judgment call to decide which ones get the tag. (I would, however, be surprised to learn of a "cinematic" ritual that only uses Lesser Effects.) I wouldn't use that as a way to divide up the books, though: it wouldn't give us enough books.

Tags
ritual path magic