Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-28-2015, 02:27 PM   #31
DanHoward

Default Re: Making books in Low-Tech & LT:Companions 1 & 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turhan's Bey Company View Post
That, I strongly suspect, is a question of familiarity rather than fanciness vs. utility.
Agreed. When I first started uni I didn't know the Greek alphabet. Within 3 months of daily exposure I was reading Greek as quickly as English. However, even today, I still struggle with texts that are written in all capitals because I had mainly been exposed to lower case.

Last edited by DanHoward; 02-28-2015 at 02:30 PM.
DanHoward is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 02:51 PM   #32
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanHoward View Post
Agreed. When I first started uni I didn't know the Greek alphabet. Within 3 months of daily exposure I was reading Greek as quickly as English. However, even today, I still struggle with texts that are written in all capitals because I had mainly been exposed to lower case.
There probably are some differences - it can after all take a page or two to get used to a big font change, and essentially every manuscript is in a different font - but they're small.

I suspect the contractions are the biggest hurdle for modern readers, and that's no different than learning to penetrate texting, which uses lots of them for not so dissimilar reasons. Being familiar enough with the variations to read any legible manuscript as easily as clean print is a reasonable perk. If you don't have it, reading time for a short text in an especially poor or eccentric hand might go up enough to notice, or require some sort of PER roll to avoid getting confused.
Old 02-28-2015, 03:25 PM   #33
Flyndaran
Untagged

I'm sure I remember just such a suggestion in one of the Perk Threads.
At least such a person wouldn't have such the hassle I often have with Captchas.

Tags
books, low-tech, low-tech companion 1, low-tech companion 3, making