Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars

Old 01-21-2017, 03:03 PM   #1
Blue Ghost

Default Foam grenade inside a car

So, I just looked at the rules and the foam grenade is not listed in the compendium. I'm wondering if anyone ever asked the question of what happens if you pull the pin on a foam grenade inside a car.

Just curious.
Blue Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 03:37 PM   #2
swordtart

Default Re: Foam grenade inside a car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ghost View Post
So, I just looked at the rules and the foam grenade is not listed in the compendium. I'm wondering if anyone ever asked the question of what happens if you pull the pin on a foam grenade inside a car.

Just curious.
Which compendium? It's in 2.5.

So if it goes off in a car that is on fire, the car will be within the 1/2" so it gets it's 1 in 6 chance to put it out. It will also block visibility like paint so all firing by crew will be at -2.

I would consider the following.

If it goes off inside a car should it only affect internal fires (i.e. it would have no effect on burning tires or armour)?

If it goes off inside crew component armour should it will only affect fires within that compartment?

When does the paint like effect wear off? The effect of paint only lasts a turn or two because it is washed off. What is there inside the car that would wash foam off?
swordtart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 04:22 PM   #3
Blue Ghost

It's the PDF from e23, 2nd edition.

Not a big deal. I guess I didn't remember the rules correctly, because I thought a foam-nade had 1-3 (50%) chance of putting out a fire if thrown within a certain radius.

Are there later editions that have this device included in them?
Old 01-21-2017, 06:52 PM   #4
adm

Instant foam party?
Old 01-22-2017, 12:45 AM   #5
swordtart

In the green and black compendium (which is the second edition compendium in e23) the Foam Grenade is on p65 under pedestrian equipment.

As far as I am aware it first came into the game in Uncle AL's catalogue of 2036 and the stats haven't changed since then.

The Catalogue from Hell adds Foam Rockets and Foam Dischargers that create foam with the same effect (i.e. 1 in 6 chance of extinguishing a fire within their area of effect). You can extrapolate from this and assume a foam grenade produces a 1/2" square foam counter (though I think all grenade counters would benefit from 5th edition round counters instead). I am not sure this is explicitly stated in the entry under Foam Grenade.

I may have missed it somewhere but, given the personal fire extinguisher has a 1-2 chance of extinguishing and even a vehicular fire extinguisher only increases that to 1-3, I sincerely doubt the humble foam grenade ever gave anything like this.

Foam Rockets introduces some extra rules for foam (not least of which is their persistence) if you extrapolate it to all foam. In this case all stacked foam counters from whatever source would allow the cumulative benefit (i.e. +1 to the chance per extra counter - and presumably the paint effect would also stack). Thus you could drop 3 foam grenades in the car and get a 1-3 chance. That is a lot of firing actions though.

Externally mounted dischargers need to be mounted front, top or under to work on your own vehicle and if you were moving might only work for 1 phase as they stay on the board. I allow dischargers to be internally mounted in which case their effects are limited to internal components (not just foam, flechette dischargers or tear gas are effective anti-theft devices if linked to the ignition). In this case the foam would stay in the car once produced and continue to offer a chance to extinguish the fire. The paint effect would also however be persistent - but that is probably the least of your worries.

Last edited by swordtart; 01-22-2017 at 03:35 AM. Reason: Typos
swordtart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 01:56 AM   #6
Blue Ghost

Ah, ped-gear. :)

Yes, Uncle Al's in ADQ 2036 is where I first saw them. I used to mount them linked on my cars like AP grenades for a campaign as a cheapo alternative to a fire extinguisher (one to a side ... I don't think I ever mounted one on the roof of any car I designed). And, I never had the opportunity to test my "handiwork" kludge one-shot fire extinguisher in any game. I sure would like to though >:)

p.s. they're not listed in the index.
Old 04-01-2017, 08:59 PM   #7
owenmp

Bruce Lam of AVRO wrote several good variants for Foam Grenades and Foam Dischargers over 15 years ago.

SWAT HQ Salvage Yard - AVRO - Resources - Rule Interpretations
http://www.seanet.com/~owenmp/avro-2000/rule-inter.html
Twitter: Car Combat Central
https://twitter.com/carcombat
owenmp is offline   Reply With Quote