Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-08-2014, 04:32 AM   #1
Tomsdad

Default TG "applying CP" and bladed weapons

Just checking when armed grappling with a "bladed" weapon you inflict 1 point of basic cutting damage for every 2 CP "applied".

But what counts as applied?

Is it CP inflicted i.e ones you accumulate when grappling?

or

Is it CP you spend on doing various things after you have accumulated them?

I've been doing the former (and damage occurs when the CP are rolled upon a successful grapple), is this right?

And just quickly, take a weapon which is both Impaling and Bladed.

You stab your target for say 4 points of damage, if you leave it there (and keep a hold of it) you get 4CP for active and referred control, but do you also then inflict 2 points of basic cutting damage as well?

I ask because that normally you'd need to successfully grapple to inflict the extra cutting injury from a bladed weapon, but in this case you'd get the extra cutting damage as a by-product* of CP automatically gained after a successfully thrusting attack that already inflicted Imp damage?

I'd allow following up armed grappling attacks with that embedded weapon either way to increase those CP (and allow more cutting damage to inflicted due to it being bladed)

*but then the CP is already an automatic extra anyway so I guess the precedent has been sent, and you're trading that ability to attack normally with the weapon and losing the use of the hand holding it for anything else while its in your target getting these benefits. Also in terms or raw damage half CP in cutting is going to be less than what you'd be dishing out using it to make regular attacks, unless you getting an awful lot of trained ST bonus (and especially if it's a one handed one weapon).

(yes got to thinking after reading the sentry removal thread)

Last edited by Tomsdad; 11-08-2014 at 09:05 AM.
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 07:07 PM   #2
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Default Re: TG "applying CP" and bladed weapons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomsdad View Post
Just checking when armed grappling with a "bladed" weapon you inflict 1 point of basic cutting damage for every 2 CP "applied".

But what counts as applied?

Is it CP inflicted i.e ones you accumulate when grappling?

Yes, this. When you do an armed grapple with (say) the cutting edge of a sword, if you're rolling 1d+2 CP, and roll a 4, you inflict 6 CP and do 3 HP of damage.

Quote:
Is it CP you spend on doing various things after you have accumulated them?

I've been doing the former (and damage occurs when the CP are rolled upon a successful grapple), is this right?
Yep. That's what the rules say.

And just quickly, take a weapon which is both Impaling and Bladed.

You stab your target for say 4 points of damage, if you leave it there (and keep a hold of it) you get 4CP for active and referred control, but do you also then inflict 2 points of basic cutting damage as well?[/quote]

I don't think there are any weapons that do both cutting and impaling damage. I'd make you pick one, if there were. If you want to use it as an impaling weapon, you use the rules on p. 15 for Impaling.

Quote:
I ask because that normally you'd need to successfully grapple to inflict the extra cutting injury from a bladed weapon, but in this case you'd get the extra cutting damage as a by-product* of CP automatically gained after a successfully thrusting attack that already inflicted Imp damage?
As noted, no. Pick an attack mode.

One thing that is not on the list that I'm shocked didn't get suggested is to overtly apply direct damage after grappling with a cutting weapon - if you want to do this, use the rules for the garotte (p. 32). You may actually roll hit using weapon skill or an appropriate unarmed grappling skill. Damage is 1:1 by spending CP, x1.5 for cutting (x2 for cutting to the neck). No hit location penalty applies if you're attacking an area already grappled.
DouglasCole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 03:47 AM   #3
Tomsdad

Default Re: TG "applying CP" and bladed weapons

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
Yes, this. When you do an armed grapple with (say) the cutting edge of a sword, if you're rolling 1d+2 CP, and roll a 4, you inflict 6 CP and do 3 HP of damage.

Yep. That's what the rules say.
Cheers!

(Originally my quote) And just quickly, take a weapon which is both Impaling and Bladed.

You stab your target for say 4 points of damage, if you leave it there (and keep a hold of it) you get 4CP for active and referred control, but do you also then inflict 2 points of basic cutting damage as well?[/quote]

Quote:
I don't think there are any weapons that do both cutting and impaling damage.
I might be missing something but all daggers and swords with points?

Quote:
I'd make you pick one, if there were. If you want to use it as an impaling weapon, you use the rules on p. 15 for Impaling.

As noted, no. Pick an attack mode.
Cool, cheers.

Quote:
One thing that is not on the list that I'm shocked didn't get suggested is to overtly apply direct damage after grappling with a cutting weapon - if you want to do this, use the rules for the garotte (p. 32). You may actually roll hit using weapon skill or an appropriate unarmed grappling skill. Damage is 1:1 by spending CP, x1.5 for cutting (x2 for cutting to the neck). No hit location penalty applies if you're attacking an area already grappled.
Cool cheers, this fits nicely into sentry removal (and is the effect I was going for with Impaling and bladed working together at the same time).
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote