Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-14-2018, 08:26 AM   #21
Luke Bunyip

Default Re: Why did the PC find the intelligent sword?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
... The only thing worse is an AI...
NOTHING to do with swords, grumpy or otherwise...

Many years ago, I was playing in a Play By Email Game, as the manager of the Luna colonies in a 22nd C setting. Got told that an AI had evolved in the intercolony network. Decided to offer it citizenship. Much fun ensued. BTW my faction in the game was called TANSTAAFL.

As you were....
Old 10-21-2018, 11:34 AM   #22
Astromancer

I'm late to this thread but try this idea, what if the Intelligent sword is also a shrewd sword? If the intelligent sword in question has been around for a while they might have mental advantages and/or practical experience. An intelligent sword might not want to let the fact of their intelligence be known until they've figured out a few things about the person who has found them. Then they might not be very honest about their (the sword's) goals and purposes.

Stormbringer might prefer to let the nebbish that has hold of him think he's a holy sword teaching his "owner" how to be a hero. I mean, do you trust an intelligent piece of iron that's whole goal in existence is to kabob people gloriously?

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 09:46 AM   #23
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromancer View Post
I'm late to this thread but try this idea, what if the Intelligent sword is also a shrewd sword? If the intelligent sword in question has been around for a while they might have mental advantages and/or practical experience. An intelligent sword might not want to let the fact of their intelligence be known until they've figured out a few things about the person who has found them. Then they might not be very honest about their (the sword's) goals and purposes.
The only intelligent sword I've designed - inspired heavily by the previously mentioned Darkshard (Darken webcomic), Frostmourne (Warcraft III/World of Warcraft), and Soul Crusher (Emperor Beld's sword from The Record of the Lodoss War anime) - did something like this (or at least was intended to - never did put it in a game). It had some two-way empathy abilities, with just a hint of mind reading, which it used when an adventuring party (or whatever) stumbled upon it to determine who would be the most appropriate to wield it and then make that character feel "Hey, that looks like a really sweet sword, I should totally use it." It also had the ability to change its shape (and weight) within certain limits, basically being any sword from a greatsword to what GURPS would call a light edged rapier, so it would match itself to its chosen wielder's favored weapon (as it was designed for That Other Game, this would be the weapon the wielder likely had the Weapon Focus and/or Weapon Specialization Feats for). It would initially just assist the wielder by a) being a really good weapon and b) using its empathy to warn the wielder of danger from time to time. Over time, it would unlock some of its hidden abilities and, provided the character earned its trust, would reveal its nature as a sapient sword via telepathically speaking to the character. Following that, a loyal wielder would unlock more and more of its potential until it was fully unleashed.

Sadly, the sword didn't have particularly complicated motivations - it basically just wanted souls to eat, and to kill demons from time to time.
Old 10-31-2018, 02:01 PM   #24
naloth

Nightblood is perhaps my favorite intelligent sword. It has the command "destroy evil" but it's often bored and trying to motivate its user. It seems rather young and impatient rather than malicious.
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 03:44 PM   #25
Astromancer

Following the swords imbued with the wrong souls in a GURPS book, I once had the wrong ashes found in a crematorium and a sword was imbued with the soul of a mischievous five-year-old Tomboy. Much blood spilled.

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 01:36 PM   #26
The Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromancer View Post
Stormbringer might prefer to let the nebbish that has hold of him think he's a holy sword teaching his "owner" how to be a hero. I mean, do you trust an intelligent piece of iron that's whole goal in existence is to kabob people gloriously?
Stormbringer is holy alright ... just not to a particularly well organised or pleasant religion.
The Colonel is online now   Reply With Quote