Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 11-18-2012, 08:36 PM   #951
tHEhERETIC

Default Re: In Nomine: the Pacific War (OOC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalillama View Post
Seriously, I can't make head nor tails of it.I can make out a few words on my own, like door and key, but the only Old English translator I've found does one word at a time and doesn't recognize all of them. Something about being imprisoned behind a door, and a key, and possibly swallowing something?
Probably the same Old English translator I was using--probably the same one Ryuki is using, for that matter. The difference between he and I in this case is that he understands declension--albeit in Latin--and I'm only dimly aware of it. Even in-game this is going to be rough and creaky Old English.

What I was aiming for was "One door closes, another opens. My friend has/is the key." For all any of us knows the result doesn't say that at all--will have to let the dice/cards decide unless you know someone who knows the language.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:32 PM   #952
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Seems roughly right, based on a linguist friend I was able to check with and a paper on Old English I found online. "Eaxlgestealla" literally means "shoulder," but figuratively means "friend" -- I suppose the implication is one who will go shoulder-to-shoulder with you when needed, similar to the English sense of "bosom friend."

"One door closes" is correct; "Handselen" has to do with trade or handing over something.

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:02 PM   #953
tHEhERETIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
Seems roughly right, based on a linguist friend I was able to check with and a paper on Old English I found online. "Eaxlgestealla" literally means "shoulder," but figuratively means "friend" -- I suppose the implication is one who will go shoulder-to-shoulder with you when needed, similar to the English sense of "bosom friend."

"One door closes" is correct; "Handselen" has to do with trade or handing over something.
"One door closes, the trade begins. My shoulder/guy next to me is key."

Not too bad for someone who's just guessing, eh?"
Old 11-18-2012, 11:15 PM   #954
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Quote:
Originally Posted by tHEhERETIC View Post
"One door closes, the trade begins. My shoulder/guy next to me is key."

Not too bad for someone who's just guessing, eh?"
Not bad at all!

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:03 PM   #955
Puck

Hey, just wanted to let people know that I'm going out of town for a few days starting tomorrow and will probably be slow in replying. Have a good Thanksgiving everyone!
Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:08 PM   #956
Mysteris

Late happy Thanksgiving everyone! :)

Heretic, need a Remiel post?
Mysteris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 05:12 AM   #957
tHEhERETIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysteris View Post
Late happy Thanksgiving everyone! :)

Heretic, need a Remiel post?
Always warmly appreciated. I'm waiting for someone else (other than me) to get things moving, trying not to railroad too much. I'm also in Nagasaki taking in all the tourist sites in just over 24 hours, so understand I won't be answering until Monday night (my time) at best. Probably.

Who knew feet and knees and ankles could hurt so much?
Old 11-25-2012, 11:45 PM   #958
tHEhERETIC

Quote:
"Exactly: Germanic. Aside from Artemis, but she's being as cooperative as you can expect already."

(OOC:Germanic is a term that applies to the lingusitic and to some extent cultural grouping that encompasses German, Dutch, Norwegian, Danish, Swedish, English, and ancillary and ancestral forms of those languages. Aesir-worship was spread throughout much of pre-Christian Northern Europe.)
...which is something I was reminded of when I did my web-research on this myth. Odin in this case is nearly an accident--I was looking at the Wild Hunt and whether it had any leader, and there he was. That's why his helmet is sporting antlers--one of the Hunt's more famous leader-incarnations is Cernunnos. Since very little seems written about the latter, it made sense to me to make them the same Ethereal.
Old 11-26-2012, 12:08 AM   #959
Dalillama

Oh, they're totally distint mythic entites from different traditions. Cernunnos is Celtic, not Germanic and they have totally different portfolios. However, afaict, the association of Cernunnos with the Wild Hunt is a pretty recent thing. The Celtic version of the Hunt is just the Sidhe being Sidhe. I have no evidence, but I suspect that its entirely an import into Celtic cultures via the Norse incursions. So Odin is the best candidate for the original master of the Hunt.

Last edited by Dalillama; 11-26-2012 at 12:38 AM. Reason: copyedit
Dalillama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:24 AM   #960
tHEhERETIC

Quote:
Oh, they're totally distint mythic entites from different traditions. Cernunnos is celtic, not germanic and they have totally different portfolios. However,afaict, the association of Cernunnos with the Wild Hunt is a pretty recent thing. The Celtic version of the Hunt is juat the Sidhe being Sidhe. I have no evidence, but I suspect that its entirely an import into Celtic cultures via the Norse incursions. So Odin is the best candidate for the original master of the Hunt.
...or I'm just an academically lazy neopagan. ;)

Tags
in nomine