Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V. > Ogre Video Game

Old 08-25-2019, 11:54 AM   #1
HeatDeath

Default Stacked units generic icon

Am I the only only person who this drives absolutely bonkers?

Can we pleasepleaseplease get some kind of graphical representation, literally anything else, that shows what units are in a stack without having to mouseover it?

PLEASE?

It's a ridiculous amount of physical and cognitive overhead to not be able to look at a map and see the tactical situation without mousing over a bunch of stacks and trying to remember what they are. It's worse even than the awkwardness of using stacks of counters in the boardgame, because there you can at least read the top one!

I can't be the only person this is basically a showstopper for.
HeatDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 08:54 PM   #2
Tim Kauffman

Default Re: Stacked units generic icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatDeath View Post
Am I the only only person who this drives absolutely bonkers?

I can't be the only person this is basically a showstopper for.
You are not alone and I feel your pain.

Until Auroch gets more funding, they cannot move forward on the list of things they would like to add to the game...I think this "feature" should have been in the game at launch though and with that said, it should be added even though it does not fit their requirements to add anything new.
Old 08-30-2019, 10:23 PM   #3
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Yeah, I griped (a LOT) during the beta to no avail. I thought it was a broken beta placeholder that I reported as a bug. I was very disappointed when it made it into the final game, especially considering the alpha option example was better looking. Like Tim said, nothing is going to change without more money to throw at it that currently does not exist.

To be completely fair, it’s not much different than stacking physical counters; you can’t tell what’s there, either (other than the top unit). It’s just so ugly the way it is right now, literally anything else would have been better. :-(
Old 09-03-2019, 07:50 AM   #4
offsides

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranitePenguin View Post
To be completely fair, it’s not much different than stacking physical counters; you can’t tell what’s there, either (other than the top unit). It’s just so ugly the way it is right now, literally anything else would have been better. :-(
Well, at least it's true to the original boardgame in that respect :P

Realistically, this is one of those things where they really should have done something different, just because it's such an obvious place where the technology could have been leveraged to make the game arguably better with (relatively) minimal effort. Even ugly icons would have been better than the generic stack...
Joshua Megerman, SJGames MIB #5273 - Ogre AI Testing Division
offsides is offline   Reply With Quote