Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 11-10-2017, 06:34 PM   #1
Kalzazz

Default Why isnt Wealth a Knight option?

I just find this really weird
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 06:49 PM   #2
corwyn

Default Re: Why isnt Wealth a Knight option?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
I just find this really weird
I find it kind of strange that only Bards and Thieves can start with wealth. I mean, it makes sense for those two, but it could make sense for most - maybe not Barbarians or Martial Artists, but why restrict backgrounds.

Playing: GURPS Nordlond Dragons of Hosgarth
Running Savage Worlds Tour of Darkness (Vietnam + Mythos)
corwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 06:55 PM   #3
Colarmel

The thing that makes sense is, wealth creates a significant role for a character in town. It really is the Knight horning in on the Thief and Bard niche if he's also selling stuff at full price without them.
Colarmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 07:02 PM   #4
Kalzazz

I admit, when I think of Knights I think of 'the pinnacle of First World Force Projection', the sort of high expense hardware, like aircraft carriers. Except less modern

So the lack seems weird
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 07:14 PM   #5
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by corwyn View Post
...but why restrict backgrounds.
Exactly!

I mean no reason someone else shouldn't be able to pick up the slack if those two templates are missing.

Of course they can always buy it up later... but that's not the same (and besides it'll usually cost more dosh for anyone that isn't a Bard or a Thief).
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 07:40 PM   #6
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
I admit, when I think of Knights I think of 'the pinnacle of First World Force Projection', the sort of high expense hardware, like aircraft carriers. Except less modern

So the lack seems weird
Aircraft carriers seem to be pretty bad at selling stuff for more.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 07:42 PM   #7
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colarmel View Post
The thing that makes sense is, wealth creates a significant role for a character in town. It really is the Knight horning in on the Thief and Bard niche if he's also selling stuff at full price without them.
Honestly, this right here is the problem. Wealth in GURPS has several components, only one of which is starting with more cash. Dungeon Fantasy cuts that down to just more cash and getting better prices in town. DFRPG might have been better off divorcing these entirely and creating a "Commerce Rank" which gives you better prices in town and then just requiring you to Trade Points for Cash for the extra cash part. That way the Thief and Bard could have Commerce Rank, but the Knight could be allowed to trade a lot of points for equipment.
Kaboom-baya.

Last edited by ericbsmith; 11-10-2017 at 08:01 PM.
ericbsmith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 09:39 PM   #8
Stone Dog

Even if they were landed knights drawing money from their property, it is likely going to be somebody in their employ that actually has "Wealthy" as an advantage under the DFRPG definition.

Which means I agree with Eric a bit. A differently named advantage for automatically having a better deal selling loot in town would be a good house rule at the very least. "Commerce Rank" sounds a little clinical though. Maybe something like "Marketeer?"
Stone Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 06:50 AM   #9
Dalin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone Dog View Post
A differently named advantage for automatically having a better deal selling loot in town would be a good house rule at the very least. "Commerce Rank" sounds a little clinical though. Maybe something like "Marketeer?"
Similarly, there could be an alternate version of wealth ("nest egg", "trust fund baby," or something) available to knights and others that doesn't include the bonuses to selling loot. It can't just be starting wealth, I think, because that would merely be the equivalent of converting points to cash, which should simply reduce character point value. So to make it worth the points, perhaps it provides a lump sum at start plus a stipend whenever you go back to town, or it offsets cost of living while in town, or something like that. Regardless, it explicitly doesn't include the mercantile skills. Further flavor could be added, of course, with a compulsive spending disad or various quirks ("Firmly believes that price always reflects quality.")
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 10:16 AM   #10
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalin View Post
It can't just be starting wealth, I think, because that would merely be the equivalent of converting points to cash, which should simply reduce character point value.
I've never had anything "just reduce character point totals". It's always marked on their sheet, a part of their permanent record.

Points For Cash, Impulse buys, Bought Off Disads, Lost Ads, etc. All of it is permanently recorded on the sheet, all of it shows how 'powerful' the character has become over the years.

Quote:
So to make it worth the points...
Points For Cash is already worth the points.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
knight, wealth