Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 11-20-2014, 01:33 PM   #1
43Supporter

Default Dumb Question Re _ODE_ Counter Sheets

Is there a software program out there specifically for laying out how a _ODE_ counter sheet is assembled (that is: Locating the counters; indicating the cut-lines; etc.)? With all the discussion of counter sheets, I thought I'd take a whack at designing the one I wanted to see. (Never actually get made, most likely; but I can dream.)

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 06:33 PM   #2
lomn

Default Re: Dumb Question Re _ODE_ Counter Sheets

It appeared to me, from early Kickstarter updates, that the prototyping for sheet layout was done by laying physical pieces on a sheet of paper and arranging them.

Eventually you'd probably do some sort of vector layout, but for creating a hypothetical sheet, the analog approach should work.
lomn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 06:38 PM   #3
Mack_JB

From making parts in the past, I'd draw in CAD the pieces we needed, then nest them into a sheet size in CAD and process that to the laser. I'm not sure what tolerance a die-cutter would need, but the laser could do minimal part spacings with ease -- or use shared cut lines to great effect.
Mack_JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 09:17 PM   #4
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

When I visited the SJG office, I saw a lot of mockups on paper hanging on the wall. It may have been a more low-tech solution than you might think.
Old 11-21-2014, 08:04 AM   #5
BlackHat

I am not positive, (I maybe mis-remembering) but I thought they had blank PDFs of some counter sheets so people could color in the designs they wanted on the counters.... I could have sworn I saw photos of someones Arab Ogre designs

EDIT: Yes they were stretch goals There was one of some buildings (Goal #5), and another of some Ogres (Goal #1). I m not sure if there were any others.

Last edited by BlackHat; 11-21-2014 at 08:21 AM.
BlackHat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 09:58 AM   #6
Mack_JB

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43Supporter View Post
Is there a software program out there specifically for laying out how a _ODE_ counter sheet is assembled (that is: Locating the counters; indicating the cut-lines; etc.)? With all the discussion of counter sheets, I thought I'd take a whack at designing the one I wanted to see. (Never actually get made, most likely; but I can dream.)
Back to your original question. What technology or software do you have access to or experience with? If you have zero graphic arts skills, you may be sunk, but if you are a decent artist, then anything is possible with some effort and some outlay of time and cash.

A template for the actual SJG artworks would only aid you if you wanted to duplicate their counter mix -- since you are making your own, you could add whatever you wanted to the unit selection.

I've debated getting my CAD program fired up, and doing Litko style Plexiglas counters for use as miniature bases, but with the unit's specs etched right in the surface of the base like a standard card counter. It's nice being on good terms with my old employer so I can go run their laser cutter if I need it.
Old 11-21-2014, 11:19 AM   #7
ldj00

Hello,

I saw someone do a couple of great office/skyscrapper buildings using plexiglass facades with color printed paper on the inside, with a light source.

Really had that look of a building at night... some cut wholes in the paper made it look like the lights were on...

I thought Litko would do something like that, but I don't see anything like that (their buildings are not plexiglass).
Old 11-21-2014, 11:58 AM   #8
Mack_JB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldj00 View Post
Hello,

I saw someone do a couple of great office/skyscrapper buildings using plexiglass facades with color printed paper on the inside, with a light source.

Really had that look of a building at night... some cut wholes in the paper made it look like the lights were on...
Did that quite often, and before lasers, we did it all by hand (gasp!), including the nine foot tall Sears Tower that was once displayed in their Visitor's Center in the late 1980's. There we used neon internals to show various elevators, communications, and air shafts.
Old 11-21-2014, 04:41 PM   #9
43Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack_JB View Post
Back to your original question. What technology or software do you have access to or experience with? If you have zero graphic arts skills, you may be sunk, but if you are a decent artist, then anything is possible with some effort and some outlay of time and cash.
Well, as far as the unit artwork is concerned: That will require "copy and paste" -- let's just say the punchline to the joke is "Yeah, but I shoot with *this* one".

As to laying out where the counters go: If it involves paper and pencil, I'm golden. It's when computers get involved I start to have problems. (My SO is a programmer; she uses me as a "canary", because if there is a way to break a piece of software, I *will* find it.)

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 04:48 PM   #10
Buzzardo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack_JB View Post
Did that quite often, and before lasers, we did it all by hand (gasp!), including the nine foot tall Sears Tower that was once displayed in their Visitor's Center in the late 1980's. There we used neon internals to show various elevators, communications, and air shafts.
Any pictures of that around? That'd be neat to see.

Want a random dungeon? How about some tables for that? How about a random encounter?
Buzzardo is offline   Reply With Quote