Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 03-12-2023, 12:11 PM   #1
Finius_Lyn

Default Why does +1 Defense Bonus cost less than +1 Block?

Looking through the DFRPG magic items book, I see that for armor and shields, the magic bonus for +1 block is 5 times the cost of +1 Defense Bonus, which applies to ALL Defenses...

Am I missing something?

Exploits page 47: Defense Bonus
If you have a ready shield or cloak, add its Defense Bonus (DB) to any Dodge, Parry, or Block roll against an attack that comes from your front or shield side. Defense Bonuses appear on the Shield Table (Adventurers, p. 107).

https://www.screencast.com/t/qJPo0XLuq
Finius_Lyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 08:19 PM   #2
tbone

Default Re: Why does +1 Defense Bonus cost less than +1 Block?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finius_Lyn View Post
Looking through the DFRPG magic items book, I see that for armor and shields, the magic bonus for +1 block is 5 times the cost of +1 Defense Bonus, which applies to ALL Defenses...

Am I missing something?

Exploits page 47: Defense Bonus
If you have a ready shield or cloak, add its Defense Bonus (DB) to any Dodge, Parry, or Block roll against an attack that comes from your front or shield side. Defense Bonuses appear on the Shield Table (Adventurers, p. 107).

https://www.screencast.com/t/qJPo0XLuq
Are you referring to the Deflect enchantment vs the Defending Shield enchantment?

I posed the question here, as such:

Quote:
The Magic Weapons and Armor Table on Adventurers 118 says a $2000 Deflect enchantment provides a +1 Defense Bonus, which I understand would aid any defense.

Meanwhile, a $10,000 Defending Weapon/Shield enchantment also gives a +1 bonus, but to Parry or Block alone.

Am I missing something, or is the latter a really bad deal?
Turns out there's an earlier thread, too: http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=153471

I think the key (made clear in the second link) is this: The two bonuses do stack, so it makes sense for a wealthy PC to get both.

But it definitely makes sense to get Deflect first!

Twitter: @Gamesdiner | RSS: here ⬅︎ Updated RSS link | This forum: Site updates thread (occasionally updated)

(Latest goods on site: GLAIVE Mini levels up to v2.4. Update to melee weapon design tool, with more example weapons and commentary.)
tbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 12:55 AM   #3
ehrbar

It's a straightforward pull of the relative enchantment costs as seen in GURPS Magic for 4th edition, as was dragged forward without revision from 3rd edition's GURPS Magic (copyright 1989) for Deflect and GURPS Grimoire (copyright 1994) for Defending Shield.

I suspect the pricing of Defending Shield in Grimoire was done on a "This new, more limited bonus stacks with the already-established Deflect, so we have to price it to reflect that it's an increase for people already benefiting from Deflect" basis, but I wasn't an author, editor, or a playtester on Grimoire thirty years ago.

I would have revised the whole scheme going into 4th edition GURPS, but that obviously wasn't done.

GURPS Technomancer resources. Including The Renegade Mage's Unofficial GURPS Magic Spell Errata, last updated July 7th, 2023.
ehrbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 02:07 AM   #4
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

I wish Deflect had gone away with PD. The whole "my gloves have deflect +4 and my breastplate has Deflect +1" thing is very annoying in play, and requires random hit locations to be rolled before defenses.

A DB bonus item that gives a force field effect like a ring of protection wouldn't be as bad. Nor is adding DB to shields.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 07:22 AM   #5
ehrbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
I wish Deflect had gone away with PD.
Well, there's a reason my "errata" for GURPS Magic converts it into the more-expensive Dodge bonus enhancement counterpart of Defending Weapon (Parry) and Defending Shield (Block). But that might be underpowered for DFRPG.

GURPS Technomancer resources. Including The Renegade Mage's Unofficial GURPS Magic Spell Errata, last updated July 7th, 2023.
ehrbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 10:33 AM   #6
sjmdw45

Quote:
I wish Deflect had gone away with PD. The whole "my gloves have deflect +4 and my breastplate has Deflect +1" thing is very annoying in play, and requires random hit locations to be rolled before defenses.
I'm pretty sure you're not suggesting that someone could stack Deflect +4 from gloves with +1 from breastplate, but at any rate Exploits pg. 118 says they can't. You only get one DB.

Are you saying it's annoying to determine the DB of a specific hit location (+4 vs. hands, +1 vs. body in your example)? If so, why not just not buy armor that annoys you? BTW you can still roll random hit locations last if you want to--just apply DB retroactively. It's no different really than rolling 3 attacks and damage before rolling 3 defenses, which is also a timesaver.

(Also wow, putting Deflect +1 on just a breastplate is only $350! What a great deal.)

Last edited by sjmdw45; 03-26-2023 at 11:08 AM.
sjmdw45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 10:39 AM   #7
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmdw45 View Post
Are you saying it's annoying to determine the DB of a specific hit location (+4 vs. hands, +1 vs. body in your example)? If so, why not just not buy armor that annoys you?
Other than banning it, what prevents players from doing it?
Old 03-26-2023, 05:07 PM   #8
sjmdw45

Quote:
Other than banning it, what prevents players from doing it?
If they do, what's the impact on you? They're the ones who have to deal with it.

You can still roll random hit locations only on a failed defense if you want to.
Old 03-26-2023, 05:16 PM   #9
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmdw45 View Post
If they do, what's the impact on you? They're the ones who have to deal with it.
I'm pretty sure I have to deal with it. I think you are assuming a very optimistic level of rules mastery.

Quote:
You can still roll random hit locations only on a failed defense if you want to.
So "You can buy Deflect, but it doesn't do anything"? I'm not sure how this is different from just banning it.
Old 03-28-2023, 11:24 AM   #10
sjmdw45

Quote:
So "You can buy Deflect, but it doesn't do anything"?
You misunderstand.

GM: the peshkali tries to slice off part of your anatomy. [rolls] Thunk! 11 hits.

Bob: wait, maybe I can parry it! [rolls] 15. I fail.

GM: it's a random hit location, so [rolls] the scimitar hits your right hand. [starts to roll damage]

Bob: oh, my hand?! My right hand has an extra Deflect +4 on it, so the parry is successful after all.

GM: lucky for you. Here comes the next peshkali scimitar... [rolls]

Tags
defense bonus, dungeon fantasy rpg, magic items