Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Illuminati Headquarters > SJ Games Discussion

Old 03-12-2005, 10:17 AM   #1
Taliesin
Banned

Default Report To The Stakeholders

I enjoyed reading the Report to the Stakeholders. Steve's usual straightforward cador is refreshing, especially when applied to business issues. I was shocked the first time my employer lied to me. After 20 years in the army where falsifying a report can get you discharged or even jailed I was appalled to learn that lying to you customers, stockholders, and employees is considered normal business practice in the civilian world.
I hope everything turns out well for SJG. I recently started running a RPG after a six year hiatus for gaming. One thing I noticed is that as soon as RPGing is over everyone heads straight for my Xbox or PS2. Gaming as a hobby is continuing to evolve and I'm glad SJG is adapting to the changes.

I wish all the best for Steve and crew in the new year.
Taliesin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 11:46 AM   #2
Hex
Banned

Default Re: Report To The Stakeholders

Considering SJ doesn't have to do this at all, I think it's a credit he reports everything- warts and all. SJgames continually shows its customers that it cares about them and what they think...that's why there are so many loyal SJgames player/customers.
Hex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 12:28 PM   #3
Ze'Manel Cunha

Seriously, a very good report.

You know, if Steve was looking to do a Public Offering, and decided to sell say ~40-45% of the company in the form of 10,000 shares at ~$100.00 a share or 50,000 shares at ~$20.00 a share, I know I'd be there to willingly give him some of my hard earned money.
Good products deserve support.
Ze'Manel Cunha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 03:27 PM   #4
davester64

Very nice to read the report from SJ. But, I am still hoping for Car Wars to return this year.

I hope my hopes are not in vain...

Dave
davester64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 04:17 PM   #5
angel_lord

It was nice to see, once again, the stakeholders report from Steve.

I knew that losing Andrew Hackard was a blow to SJG, but I did not realize how much of a loss it was. I am hoping that they will find someone to bridge the gap soon, and that by next year they will be able to put together a top notch department that is able to get back to the one book a month ideal.

I also was surprised that the card game side of the company was so productive. More than ever I plan to support all the little permutations of Munchkin, because it seems the continued success of the company is in large part due to this addition. If I'm guessing right, the card games produce a bit more income than the RPG line. Very intriguing.

Overall, the large staffing turnover this year seems to be as big a blow to the fans, since the shortage affected our ability to get 4th ed stuff as quickly as possible.

Shawn
angel_lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 10:43 PM   #6
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

You can click here for the report.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 02:28 AM   #7
thona
Banned

I am seriously impressed by this report. Seriously.

But, Steve -if you read this. I swould stasrt thinking about different product lines. See, there is this issue about 40% of your revenue coming from munchkin, and this growing.

Once day you have to tell your childs what you are doing for business. And then you wil lonly be remembered as the "guy running a munchkin company".

But really, this openness is wonderfull.
thona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 06:32 AM   #8
The-Original-Lonewolf

Location: Yeovil. Back with Pompy crew. Going to next con on the Phil Masters list.

This report does pretty much explain it all. As did the last report. He has always has been quite open about the state of the company and the gaming industry. The company has had more its fair share of bumps. There have been many mini shareholder reports over the years that gave insight into one particular aspect or another. Steven Jackson Games is very a human face in an industry dominated by faceless corporations. Corporations that bought up gaming companies and do not have a clue what to do with them. The fans care deeply for the state of the company as well. The very best of luck to Steven Jackson Games.

In addition, for a bit of high weirdness, consider this. If we gathered all the MIB together, I bet Steven Jackson could field his own private army ;->

"So many GURPS 3rd Edition books that my laboratory glows with FNORD. With 4th Edition I can achieve the necessary Critical Mass ! If only they knew !"
(Robotic Mechanical Laughter..)
The-Original-Lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 08:28 AM   #9
al_kenobi

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Original-Lonewolf
This report does pretty much explain it all. As did the last report. He has always has been quite open about the state of the company and the gaming industry. The company has had more its fair share of bumps. There have been many mini shareholder reports over the years that gave insight into one particular aspect or another. Steven Jackson Games is very a human face in an industry dominated by faceless corporations. Corporations that bought up gaming companies and do not have a clue what to do with them. The fans care deeply for the state of the company as well. The very best of luck to Steven Jackson Games.

In addition, for a bit of high weirdness, consider this. If we gathered all the MIB together, I bet Steven Jackson could field his own private army ;->
What do you mean "if"? Oh, wait... You weren't cleared for that were you? You don't need to see our MiB Pins. We're not the MiBs you're looking for. Move along.

;-)
Al
al_kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 08:20 PM   #10
Steve Jackson
President and EIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze'Manel Cunha
. . . if Steve was looking to do a Public Offering, and decided to sell say ~40-45% of the company in the form of 10,000 shares at ~$100.00 a share or 50,000 shares at ~$20.00 a share, I know I'd be there to willingly give him some of my hard earned money.
Hrm. That would value the company at less than three million dollars . . . Yeah, *I* would buy some of that too :-)

I'm not saying I'd never sell out, but I think we're worth more than that. Uh oh, I bet THAT starts a thread!
Steve Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote