Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS > GURPS Character Assistant

Old 01-20-2021, 12:54 PM   #1
Praxian

Default Creating powers / custom powers with mods

So... if I were to make (for example) a Burning Attack (Super-magic), in the GDF text.

So... would it look like this:

Burning Attack (Raw Magic Attack), modifiers(Accessibility: Can only be powered by Energy Reserve -5%, Cosmic: Irresistible attack +300%, Long-Range +3, Magical -10%)

Long-Range has 4 levels of modifiers... would the +3 go in the modifiers or the +150%? If I can figure out this one, I can get the rest of the advantages.

Also, would the (Raw Magic Attack) go into the Name Extension part of the GCA??
Praxian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 04:08 PM   #2
Armin
GCA Prime

Default Re: Creating powers / custom powers with mods

No, I'm afraid that's not the right syntax.

For this kind of thing, I'd strongly encourage you to create the attack within GCA, and when it looks right there, go to the Full Edit window for it and click the Save to Data File button to have GCA write it out for you to the file of your choice.
Old 01-20-2021, 04:41 PM   #3
Armin
GCA Prime

I'll try to swing by later to clarify what the syntax should be.
Old 01-20-2021, 05:46 PM   #4
Praxian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armin View Post
No, I'm afraid that's not the right syntax.

For this kind of thing, I'd strongly encourage you to create the attack within GCA, and when it looks right there, go to the Full Edit window for it and click the Save to Data File button to have GCA write it out for you to the file of your choice.
I didn't know that was possible... does this look correct:

Code:
Burning Attack (Raw Magic Attack), 5/10,acc(3),damage($solver(%level)d),damtype(bu),dmg(1),familiarities(),mode(Primary),mods(_Attack Enhancements, _Attack Limitations, Alternative Attack, Burning Attack Enhancements, Burning Attack Limitations, Innate Attack),noresync(yes),page(B61, P53),parry(0),rangehalfdam(10),rangemax(100),rcl(1),reach(),reachbasedon(0),rof(1),shots(),skillused(SK:Innate Attack (Projectile), ST:DX-4, SK:Innate Attack (Beam)-2, SK:Innate Attack (Breath)-2, SK:Innate Attack (Gaze)-2, SK:Innate Attack (Projectile)-2),tl(),upto(@if(@hasmod(Partial Dice (Does only 1 pt)) THEN 1)),usernotes(), cat(Exotic, Physical, Innate Attack, Natural Attacks, Exotic Physical, Exotic, Physical),initmods({"Accessibility: Can only be powered by Energy Reserve", -5%,shortname(Can only be powered by ER),group(_General),page(P119),level(1),valuenum(-5)} | {"Cosmic: Irresistible attack", +300%,group(_General),page(B103),level(1),valuenum(300)} | {"Costs Energy Reserve (Variable)", -5%/-10%,mods(Costs Fatigue),forceformula(yes),group(_General),page(P101),shortname(Costs FP),formula(-5 * @int( (me::level / owner::level) * (1 + owner::level) / 2 )),description(NOTE: While GCA calculates the correct value for this limitation based on the maximum FP cost you select you will have to figure out the FP cost per die/level of the ability yourself.),x(#message(NOTE: While GCA calculates the correct value for this limitation based on the maximum FP cost you select you will have to figure out the FP cost per die/level of the ability yourself.)),level(1),valuenum(-5),basedon(Costs Fatigue (Variable)),basedgroup(_General)} | {"Long-Range", +50%/+100%,upto(4),group(_General),page(P108),level(3),valuenum(150)} | {"Magical", -10%,group(_Power Modifiers),page(P27),level(1),valuenum(-10)})
Old 01-21-2021, 07:39 AM   #5
Armin
GCA Prime

Yes, that looks right, without breaking it down for matching parens and math formulas and such.

There are some tags in there you probably don't need, but they don't hurt anything by being there.

That giant block of text is why I suggested the Save to Data File method. Tags like initmods() aren't the easiest things to do by hand.
Old 01-21-2021, 08:40 AM   #6
Praxian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armin View Post
Yes, that looks right, without breaking it down for matching parens and math formulas and such.

There are some tags in there you probably don't need, but they don't hurt anything by being there.

That giant block of text is why I suggested the Save to Data File method. Tags like initmods() aren't the easiest things to do by hand.
Nice. I never knew about that option before to make the text file... I really appreciate that tip. :)
Old 01-22-2021, 10:31 AM   #7
Armin
GCA Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxian View Post
Nice. I never knew about that option before to make the text file... I really appreciate that tip. :)
I'm glad I could help!
Old 01-22-2021, 11:19 AM   #8
Praxian

trying to have an advantage give +1 to Thaumatology (or Theology depending) per level taken... how would I go about adding that in?

, gives(+1 to SK:Thaumatology) ?? Or gives(+1 to SK:"Thaumatology") ??

Something along those lines?
Old 01-22-2021, 06:34 PM   #9
Armin
GCA Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxian View Post
trying to have an advantage give +1 to Thaumatology (or Theology depending) per level taken... how would I go about adding that in?

, gives(+1 to SK:Thaumatology) ?? Or gives(+1 to SK:"Thaumatology") ??

Something along those lines?
Yes, the first one, or the second one if the quotes include the SK: also.

gives(+1 to SK:Thaumatology) or gives(+1 to "SK:Thaumatology")

Using the quotes is generally the safer practice.