Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS > GURPS Character Assistant

Old 08-29-2020, 02:44 PM   #1
Saurbaum

Default Spell caster templates and required spells

I'm trying to add one of the Fantasy templates

When it's done it's showing there are errors like this

TE:Battle Wizard (Fantasy) still needs:

SP:Lend Energy>=1pts, SP:Recover Energy>=1pts

But those two spells have been added.

I have the data sets load for the basic set and Fantasy but I did also try loading Magic and it didn't seem to make a difference, nor did removing and re-adding the spells.

Hopefully this is something I've managed to do which is silly but I've really got no idea.
Saurbaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 04:35 PM   #2
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.
Default Re: Spell caster templates and required spells

Alrighty, I can confirm that the spellcaster templates from Fantasy are doing this, and I have no idea why. I played around with things a bit and couldn't suss out why they are not fulfilling the prerequisites. So your options at this point are to either ignore the missing prerequisite flag or to Edit the template on the character to delete the offending spell entries from the needs() tag.
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 03:28 PM   #3
Armin
GCA Prime

It's because the Spells are CountAsNeed(Magical), but Battle Wizard isn't ident(Magical).

This means that the spells are considered to be valid prereqs only for things that identify themselves as Magical, and since Battle Wizard is not so identified, those spells don't count.

Simplest solution: Click Battle Wizard, click Edit, click Full Edit Window, click Advanced, click Add Tag, enter ident as the Tag and Magical as the Tag Value. Click OK. Confirm ident() now appears in Tag list of Advanced Edit. Then OK all the way back out.

Battle Wizard should now identify as Magical and should now have all prereqs satisfied.
Old 09-01-2020, 03:05 AM   #4
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armin View Post
It's because the Spells are CountAsNeed(Magical), but Battle Wizard isn't ident(Magical).
OK, that makes sense. These templates predate when we added that feature and I'd completely overlooked it.
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 07:11 AM   #5
Saurbaum

I'm so glad I wasn't going completely mad and doing something wrong. I was getting a similar issue with the Holyman template where it was not seeing Power Investiture instead of Magery for the spells.

My best bet is to delete the template once I have added it as all the contents appear separate and it doesn't make a difference for the maths at the end of the day. I'm only using it as a shortcut to give me a theme to work with.

I do get a lot of seemingly random crashes while I'm manipulating the characters. Is there anything useful I can provide to see what the problem there is?
Old 09-02-2020, 11:22 AM   #6
Armin
GCA Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saurbaum View Post
My best bet is to delete the template once I have added it as all the contents appear separate and it doesn't make a difference for the maths at the end of the day. I'm only using it as a shortcut to give me a theme to work with.
Ah, yes, that is indeed the easiest way to fix the problem ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saurbaum View Post
I do get a lot of seemingly random crashes while I'm manipulating the characters. Is there anything useful I can provide to see what the problem there is?
I'm not sure what I might be able to do to help with that at this point. However, if you're generally using QuickView to work on your character, that may be part of the problem, as there is a bug there if you click on the gray area of the sheet much. See this thread: http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=131683
Old 09-03-2020, 12:28 PM   #7
Saurbaum

I do indeed spend a lot of time in Quick View. I'll keep an eye out and see if that's the trigger. I also cleaned the AppData folder in case that was the issue.
Old 09-18-2020, 01:57 AM   #8
Saurbaum

My crashes are definitely different.

Application just ups and vanishes while it's churning on something like adding something new to the character (skill, spell, advantage).

Tried on a couple of different machines without trying to share settings or characters and the problem follows me.