Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-23-2016, 08:39 AM   #41
safisher
Gunnery Sergeant,
 Imperial Marines
Coauthor,
 GURPS High-Tech

Default Re: [AtE] Condition of Highways

Quote:
Originally Posted by (E) View Post
I read a few books about the great depression where locally at least the government contracted individuals to maintain stretches of road. One person with basic tools can maintain a passable road remarkably well.
That is the system used today in developing nations.
https://books.google.com/books?id=Nm...0tools&f=false
safisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 08:18 PM   #42
acrosome

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjard View Post
Another vote for location and weather conditions to play a major role. I'm in a high mountain desert area, but about 65 years ago, they shifted the route of one of the state highways marginally (a deviation of a few hundred yards away from the current path (fewer hills to loop around for safety reasons). You can still clearly make out where the old highway went, and it's not particularly cluttered. You wouldn't want to drive highway speeds on it, but you can easily make 40mph without much worry. There aren't even many weeds on it. .
Well "high mountain desert area" sort of explains that. Vegetation in the more arid areas here out west can grow quite slowly. There are places where you can see footprints that are two generations old, let alone a road! Being dry helps, too- that's why there are so many surviving cabins. Back east a log cabin rots quickly if it isn't maintained. And the ground is so dry that although there is a large temperature variation throughout the year there isn't enough moisture in the soil to cause a frost heave.

The American west really is the perfect place for an AtE campaign. Australia is damned good, too.
acrosome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 09:25 AM   #43
Žorkell
Icelandic - Approach With Caution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
60 mph is what you do on nice, smooth, modern, paved highways, with nice wide lanes, wide clear shoulders, and big smoooooth curves.
Oh my, you'd get a heart attack here. I don't think there are roads here that this description fits, yet the speed limit here is 90 kph. There are also non-paved roads and as far as I can tell people don't drive much slower on them.

Viking kittens | My photos | More of my photos
Žorkell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 09:55 AM   #44
tshiggins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Žorkell View Post
Oh my, you'd get a heart attack here. I don't think there are roads here that this description fits, yet the speed limit here is 90 kph. There are also non-paved roads and as far as I can tell people don't drive much slower on them.
I don't drive, when I visit Europe. Partially, I don't enjoy it and partially, I don't know the rules and can't read the signs (I've only ever passed through Great Britain, so far, and I ride the tube down to Picadilly for lunch and a beer, if the layover is long enough).

I also don't drive because some of the driving, there, is insane. The Germans are insanely good at it, and the Romanians are insanely bad. The Spanish seemed okay, but it was easy to use the Metro and then just walk, to wherever it was I wanted to go.
tshiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 02:18 PM   #45
acrosome

I've lived a total of five years of my life in Germany and I'll agree- the Germans are insanely good at it. It's also very expensive to take all of the required classes and get a license, there, which probably helps. They also have a much better traffic system than the US. (I envy their recycling system, too.) I like to claim that some of it rubbed off. For instance, it annoys the hell out of me that no one here knows how to use a traffic circle. And then they have the gall to honk at me as if I was the one who screwed up.

OTOH places not to drive include Italy, Greece, and anywhere in the Balkans. Of course, if you're on foot then you're essentially defenseless, so pick your poison...
acrosome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 02:48 PM   #46
fredtheobviouspseudonym

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
One thing I've run into with my current GURPS Rifts game set along the Chesapeake Bay (ca 102 PA) is travel times.
IIRC in the colonial era (c. 1609 to 1776) most folks in that area went by boat -- safer and faster than trying to move across roads.

Safer? If you know the local conditions and have a good Weather Sense and stay close to land your chances of drowning are low. Given the major inletting of the Bay coastlands it's probably a much shorter distance. While highwaymen can use boats (they're then called pirates) it demands at least some boating knowledge & is more visible than bushwhacking -- so a fair chance of being caught.

In that area boats rule.
fredtheobviouspseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 07:08 PM   #47
dcarson

I live in Maryland. The old land parcels tended to be long and thin so that everyone had a waterfront stretch.
dcarson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 01:15 AM   #48
sjard
Stick in the Mud

I don't think I see anyone driving as slow as 60mph here unless it's on a dirt road. Even the highways with 65mph speed limits see a flow of traffic speed closer to 75, and the interstate goes up to 85 or 90 in some places with the average speed being a bit more than that.

The speed limit on the, then, dirt road I grew up on was 55 except on a couple of turns where it dropped to 35 (and you really didn't want to take it faster than that, more than one car ended up in the canal).
MIB #1457
sjard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 01:45 AM   #49
Warlockco

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjard View Post
I don't think I see anyone driving as slow as 60mph here unless it's on a dirt road. Even the highways with 65mph speed limits see a flow of traffic speed closer to 75, and the interstate goes up to 85 or 90 in some places with the average speed being a bit more than that.

The speed limit on the, then, dirt road I grew up on was 55 except on a couple of turns where it dropped to 35 (and you really didn't want to take it faster than that, more than one car ended up in the canal).
On a dirt road I have been on before and know the condition of I have no problems with going those speeds.
On unfamiliar dirt roads, I'm going slower because I don't know where all the potholes/ruts are to avoid them.
Warlockco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 09:54 PM   #50
sjard
Stick in the Mud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlockco View Post
On a dirt road I have been on before and know the condition of I have no problems with going those speeds.
On unfamiliar dirt roads, I'm going slower because I don't know where all the potholes/ruts are to avoid them.
Out here, ruts aren't that big of an issue. Washboarding is however. These are a sort of series of sort of ruts that cross the road side to side. Think naturally occuring speed bumps, a few dozen side by side. Or similar to going across several cattle guards in a row.
MIB #1457
sjard is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
after the end