Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 12-19-2012, 02:53 PM   #1
Diseptikon

Default Star munchkin rogue sidekick

There has been some debate about what the rogue sidekick can and cannot steal in my group. The rogue has the ability to steal non wearable items from players on rolls of 4 or higher. Does this mean rogues can steal class and race cards including super munchkin and half-breed? Are equipped items such as weapons considered non-wearable? What is and isn't allowable?

Another random question came up which is can you time warp a wandering monster? If yes what happens to the monster, is it just discarded or go back into the players hand?

Many thanks.
Diseptikon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 05:18 PM   #2
Clipper

Default Re: Star munchkin rogue sidekick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diseptikon View Post
There has been some debate about what the rogue sidekick can and cannot steal in my group. The rogue has the ability to steal non wearable items from players on rolls of 4 or higher. Does this mean rogues can steal class and race cards including super munchkin and half-breed? Are equipped items such as weapons considered non-wearable? What is and isn't allowable?
Items are those cards that have a value written on their lower right corner in Gold Pieces (or Credits if you have an older set). "No value" is equivalent to 0 Gold Pieces, so those are Items too. No other card is an Item, so you can't steal Race cards, Class cards, Half-Breed, Super Munchkin or any other card that lacks a listed value. Wearable Items are those Items that you wear on your body. Headgear, Footgear, Armor, Kneepads, etc. Items that qualify would include Weapons, any One-Shot Items the player has played to the table and anything else that has a value that isn't worn on the body.

Quote:
Another random question came up which is can you time warp a wandering monster? If yes what happens to the monster, is it just discarded or go back into the players hand?

Many thanks.
Time Warp can be used on Traps and One-shot Items. Due to the definition above, neither Wandering Monster nor the monster itself are an Item, and they are not Traps either (all of which start with the word Trap). You cannot use Time Warp in this situation.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:17 PM   #3
six's monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipper View Post
Items that qualify would include Weapons, any One-Shot Items the player has played to the table and anything else that has a value that isn't worn on the body..
You meant "not qualify", right?
six's monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:41 PM   #4
Diseptikon

Quote:
Originally Posted by six's monkey View Post
You meant "not qualify", right?
No. By the description on the rogues card it states any non wearable item can be stolen. Since weapons are not wearable they can be stolen. So after a successful steal is the card placed into the hand of the player who stole it or does the item go into effect as if they played it (for one shot items)?
Old 12-19-2012, 11:53 PM   #5
Clipper

Yes, I did mean that those Items qualify to be stolen. I should qualify that not all weapons will be able to be stolen (there are some that can be worn in Fantasy, such as the Spiked Codpiece), but most should.

As for whether to draw the card into your hand or leave it in play, Items that are in play generally stay in play unless a card says specifically to put it into your hand or you are looting the corpse of a recently deceased munchkin.

So you just move the card from in front of the original player to being in front of the player with the Sidekick. If it's a One-Shot Item, it won't get used immediately or anything. Note that you can only steal One-Shot Items that the player has in play in front of them (they probably would have played them there to avoid Charity). You can't steal one that the player has just played to utilise its effect.

Last edited by Clipper; 12-20-2012 at 12:01 AM.
Clipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 04:52 AM   #6
MunchkinMan

Quote:
No. By the description on the rogues card it states any non wearable item can be stolen. Since weapons are not wearable they can be stolen. So after a successful steal is the card placed into the hand of the player who stole it or does the item go into effect as if they played it (for one shot items)?
Items in play, generally, always stay in play. Looting a body is the only exception in Star Munchkin that I can currently recall. Stealing an Item doesn't trigger its usage, so a one-shot Item that was in play would remain in play, just now placed in front of the player whose sidekick stole it for him. For anything else to happen, the Sidekick: Rogue card would have to say a lot more on it.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:36 AM   #7
Diseptikon

I might be missing an element of play that you both are referring to. When our group plays we place all race, class, armor, sidekicks, and weapons in front of us. These items are the only items considered in play. How exactly can a one shot be placed in front of you and not be considered in play?

Last edited by Diseptikon; 12-20-2012 at 09:55 AM.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:52 AM   #8
Mister Ed

Quote:
I might be missing an element of play that you both are referring to. When our group plays we place all race, class, armor, sidekicks, and weapons in front of us. These items are the only items considered in play. How exactly can a one shot be placed in front of you and not be considered in play?
It can't. I don't think he said it could, though. You may play a one shot ITEM in front of you without actually using it at that time, and it still counts as in play. If somebody steals it, they must put it in front of them, in play, but they don't have to use it just then, either.
Mister Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 02:44 PM   #9
Diseptikon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
It can't. I don't think he said it could, though. You may play a one shot ITEM in front of you without actually using it at that time, and it still counts as in play. If somebody steals it, they must put it in front of them, in play, but they don't have to use it just then, either.
Your situation is what I was trying to describe. Our group has not allowed people to place one shots (or other cards) in front of them for future use and I don't understand how that is legal considering it allows players to bypass charity.
Old 12-20-2012, 03:04 PM   #10
MunchkinMan

Quote:
Your situation is what I was trying to describe. Our group has not allowed people to place one shots (or other cards) in front of them for future use and I don't understand how that is legal considering it allows players to bypass charity.
The rules say, in the section about Charity, that you may try to put in to play or use as many cards as necessary to get below 5 cards in your hand. ("If you have more than five cards in your hand, you must play enough of them to get down to five, or give the excess to the player with the lowest Level.") The rules also say that you can carry any Item; since there is no restriction in that statement about one-shot Items, one shouldn't be implied. However, the rules go on to say, in what should be two different places now, that one-shot Items may be played to any combat (or situation where they may be played, such as Loaded Die) from either your hand or from your carried Items (i.e., those that are in play in front of you), further cementing the notion that one may, in fact, put one-shot cards in play for use later ("One-shot items, such as grenades, may be played directly from your hand during combat. You can also use one-shot items that you already had in play."; "Any one-shot item can be played during any combat, whether you have it in your hand or on the table.").
MiB #1029

Last edited by MunchkinMan; 12-20-2012 at 04:29 PM. Reason: Added the rules quotes
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote