Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-10-2010, 11:44 AM   #1
Diomedes

Default [Ultra-Tech] Gauss Weapon Weights

I was looking over the Gauss weapons in Ultra-Tech, and I noticed an oddity:

The 7mm Sniper Railgun and the 10mm Portable Railgun both have the same weight, but the 7mm has a Min ST of 11B† while the 10mm is just 10†. Meanwhile the Gauss Rifle and Prtable Railgun both have a Min St of 10† despite weighing in at 8.5 and 20 pounds, respectively.

Should this be an errata, or am I just missing the reasoning?
Diomedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 11:49 AM   #2
Langy

Default Re: [Ultra-Tech] Gauss Weapon Weights

MinST does not correspond to weapon weight for firearms. It corresponds to felt recoil. That's why the heavier weapon has a lower MinST even though it fires a higher-energy projectile.
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 11:51 AM   #3
Crakkerjakk
"Gimme 18 minutes . . ."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langy View Post
MinST does not correspond to weapon weight for firearms. It corresponds to felt recoil. That's why the heavier weapon has a lower MinST even though it fires a higher-energy projectile.
Doesn't that mean that the equal weight 10mm should have a higher minST than the 7mm?

Semper Fi
Crakkerjakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 11:55 AM   #4
Langy

Huh. Yeah, I guess you're right. I thought the 7mm railgun was lighter than the 10mm version - but since they're the same, the 10mm version really should have a higher MinST than the 7mm one unless it has some sort of recoil compensator built in that the 7mm one doesn't.
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 12:07 PM   #5
Crakkerjakk
"Gimme 18 minutes . . ."

Quote:
Huh. Yeah, I guess you're right. I thought the 7mm railgun was lighter than the 10mm version - but since they're the same, the 10mm version really should have a higher MinST than the 7mm one unless it has some sort of recoil compensator built in that the 7mm one doesn't.
Well, the 7mm does come with a scope, which by it's bonus and the TL it's introduced at must be an Enhanced Targeting Scope, making the 7mm 2 lbs lighter than the 10mm. Plus it comes with a bipod, however much that weighs...

Still you'd think ~3 lbs (out of 20) wouldn't be enough to bump up the minST over that of the 10mm. I'd call 'em equal, eyeballing it.

Semper Fi
Old 07-10-2010, 12:09 PM   #6
Diomedes

Quote:
That could be. the 7mm has an empty weight of 13.6 pounds, while the 10mm is 18.
Old 07-10-2010, 12:13 PM   #7
Crakkerjakk
"Gimme 18 minutes . . ."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diomedes View Post
That could be. the 7mm has an empty weight of 13.6 pounds, while the 10mm is 18.
What? According to my book the 7mm sniper railgun is 20 lbs, minST 11Bt, reload weight 1.4 lbs. The 10mm portable railgun is 20 lbs, minST 10t, reload wt 1.5 lbs.

Assuming 2.5 lbs for the bipod and scope, that leaves the 7mm at 16.1 lbs and the 10mm at 18.5 lbs.

Semper Fi
Old 07-10-2010, 12:16 PM   #8
Diomedes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crakkerjakk View Post
What? According to my book the 7mm sniper railgun is 20 lbs, minST 11Bt, reload weight 1.4 lbs. The 10mm portable railgun is 20 lbs, minST 10t, reload wt 1.5 lbs.

Assuming 2.5 lbs for the bipod and scope, that leaves the 7mm at 16.1 lbs and the 10mm at 18.5 lbs.
By "empty" I was also subtracting the weight of the power cells. 5 lb. for the 7mm's D cell, 0.5 lb. for the C of the 10mm.
Old 07-10-2010, 12:21 PM   #9
Crakkerjakk
"Gimme 18 minutes . . ."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diomedes View Post
By "empty" I was also subtracting the weight of the power cells. 5 lb. for the 7mm's D cell, 0.5 lb. for the C of the 10mm.
Ah. I always assumed the power cells are incorperated into the magazine. I see how that's a problematic assumption in this case. But then, if you have to replace both the power cell and magazine to fire another magazine's worth of shots, that certainly makes the reload time under the Shots statistic pretty useless.

Actually, hell. The 10mmG round has a WPS of .08. The 10mmG Portable Railgun has an ammo capacity of 25, yet a reload weight of 1.5 lbs. But 25 10mmG rounds weigh 2 lbs. Sigh.

Semper Fi

Last edited by Crakkerjakk; 07-10-2010 at 12:27 PM.

Tags
gauss weapons, ultra-tech