Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-16-2020, 07:01 AM   #21
tbone

Default Re: Predicting opponent's movements to attack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomsdad View Post
I think the OP was looking for bonus to both attack and defence
The OP does say "a flat bonus to hit with any attack", so the people suggesting ways to model a bonus TH are, indeed, addressing the OP. Fair enough!

I guess I should be addressing the OP directly myself: Cursed_Lich, are you sure a bonus TH is what you want? I ask because, while it'd make sense in game systems that only have TH rolls, it doesn't really work in GURPS, with its TH and defense rolls. "Break through their defenses" literally suggests a penalty to the defender's defense roll, not a bonus to the attacker's TH roll.

A precog power that augments attacks with "apply -X to any active defense vs the attack" would seem to fit your description on the nose, and would be a cool power. But I don't really know how to price it.

If there isn't already some version of this, or some suggestion of what it should cost, in Powers or elsewhere, I imagine each level could be built as +2 DX, with limitation "For TH purposes only" (-X%) and "Only to reduce TH penalty from use of Deceptive Attack" (-Y%) . . . then given a snazzy name and described as simply "Reduces foes' active defenses by -1".

But it may not be quite as simple as that. Should such an ability also boost Feint rolls (compounding the above reduction in foes' defenses)? Then there are oddball situations like Acrobatic Guard, that actually apply TH penalties to attackers for defense-like actions by defenders; should the ability also reduce those TH penalties?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomsdad View Post
FWIW I think I agree with you re animal handling, maybe a better way to do it is the animal doesn't get penalty to hit, but you get a bonus to defend?
Agreed; that's how I house-ruled it long ago (with a mention or few on my site). So Animal Handling-15 would let you reduce animals' AD rolls by 1, and give you a +1 bonus when they attack you. Double those at Animal Handling-20.

Twitter: @Gamesdiner | RSS: here ⬅︎ Updated RSS link | This forum: Site updates thread (occasionally updated)

(Latest goods on site: GLAIVE Mini levels up to v2.4. Update to melee weapon design tool, with more example weapons and commentary.)
tbone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 10:05 AM   #22
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbwarrior View Post
It starts to get common in melee combat with skill levels above 20 (below that, you're still worrying about other penalties). At 26 skill, you can do a full Deceptive Attack with effectively no penalty to yourself.
I see it commonly at skill 17+, occasionally at 16, definitely at 14-16 if they AOA(Determined). Almost never if final skill is 15 or less.

What I do see at skill 13-15 is Feint if the Player thinks their foe has a slightly lower skill (like 2 or more difference).
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 10:20 AM   #23
Anthony

Deceptive attack is generally net worthwhile at (pre-DA) skill 14 against a foe with a defense of 10-17, net worthwhile at skill 16 against a foe with defense of 8-14 (above that range you're better off hoping for a crit, below you're better off attacking normal).
Old 01-17-2020, 08:19 PM   #24
kirbwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
I see it commonly at skill 17+, occasionally at 16, definitely at 14-16 if they AOA(Determined). Almost never if final skill is 15 or less.

What I do see at skill 13-15 is Feint if the Player thinks their foe has a slightly lower skill (like 2 or more difference).
That's largely why I don't see it at lower levels. Darkness, terrain, alcohol, SM, hit location, there are lots of penalties in combat. DA is always the last penalty considered.
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
attacks, precognition