Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 05-20-2018, 06:02 PM   #21
Shostak

Default Re: First peek at the new counter art from Liz Danforth for MELEE 5/18/2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Kane View Post
I am hoping Liz gives us another two-headed Giant;

JK
I'll second that, bellbottoms and all. It was my favorite giant counter of any of the sets. But only if it isn't a top-down view ;)

Speaking of top-view V side-view, here is a link to a side-view 7-hex dragon sketch
which I hope illustrates how side view is perfectly serviceable for multihex creatures.
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 08:29 PM   #22
Jim Kane
Banned

Default Re: First peek at the new counter art from Liz Danforth for MELEE 5/18/2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shostak View Post
I'll second that, bellbottoms and all. It was my favorite giant counter of any of the sets. But only if it isn't a top-down view ;)

Speaking of top-view V side-view, here is a link to a side-view 7-hex dragon sketch
which I hope illustrates how side view is perfectly serviceable for multihex creatures.
Yes, I saw that layout design for the 7-Hex Dragon, very cool also! Did you draw/design that?

JK
Jim Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 10:46 PM   #23
Kirk

Hey, Shostak, any chance you have a relative living in Austin, software developer, graduate degree in Math, legendary ASL player? Your name is somewhat unusual down here, and we've been friends for almost 30 years.
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 02:30 PM   #24
Shostak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk View Post
Hey, Shostak, any chance you have a relative living in Austin, software developer, graduate degree in Math, legendary ASL player? Your name is somewhat unusual down here, and we've been friends for almost 30 years.
Yes, he's the excellent brother who saved his paper route nickels to send away for OGRE by mail, quickly followed by Melee and Wizard . I repaid him with Squad Leader for his birthday several years (and a lot more nickels!) later. We played some great, long-running TFT campaigns back through in the day. His most memorable character was a shrewd wizard named Zendas, who led a party's efforts to thwart a nefarious, lich-worshiping cult.

Jim, yes the 7-hexer sketch is my own, inspired in part by Hokusai.
Old 05-23-2018, 01:52 PM   #25
JLV

I'm not actually hard-over on either top-down or side views. They both work just fine, as long as the head and tail ends are clear and there's no chance for a debate on facing for the counter.

So, I'd say use whichever one facilitates understanding of the facing issues, and don't worry about it.
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 02:53 PM   #26
Skarg

Ideally, I'd want a hinged 7-hex dragon that can bend left and right about the center hex. :-)
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 03:19 PM   #27
Jim Kane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
Ideally, I'd want a hinged 7-hex dragon that can bend left and right about the center hex. :-)
AAaaahhhh!!!! SKARG You Sir, are a devilishly clever fellow!

JK
Jim Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 07:56 AM   #28
Shostak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
Cool idea! I think it would be possible to build, but I don't think an illustration would always match. Will work on it when I can.
Old 05-25-2018, 08:46 AM   #29
DarkPumpkin

Liking what I see a lot. Ms Danforth does quality work. And no need for bell-bottoms, the counters are nostalgic enough already, that would be simply hokey.
DarkPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 11:35 AM   #30
GlennDoren

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPumpkin View Post
Liking what I see a lot. Ms Danforth does quality work. And no need for bell-bottoms, the counters are nostalgic enough already, that would be simply hokey.
Frankly, I never thought of the "bell bottoms" as 70's-style bell bottoms. I simply thought it was an illustration style she used for making the little iconic characters have a little more flair/meat, since the actual detail on them was pretty minimal (which I liked) and the visual scale was so small.

I could go either way with the "bell bottoms"--altho I think they look great considering the small size and minimal detail. And again, I never even associated it with "70s fashion" until I saw it described that way in the SJG forums.
GlennDoren is offline   Reply With Quote