Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 10-12-2012, 03:20 PM   #1
naraht

Default Scabbard and Malakite of Creation attunment?

Would an angel with Scabbard and the Malakite of Creation attunment be able to use Scabbard on more items than an angel with just Scabbard?

I see three possibilities
1) What Scabbard can be used for is determined by Lawrence, Eli's attunements don't affect it.
2) Something can only be "Scabbard"ed only after it is used as a weapon. So the chicken that was used against the Kobalite can be Scabbarded, but not a "fresh" chicken.
3) Subject to the weight limits, get Creative. :)
naraht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 04:23 PM   #2
robkelk
Untitled

Default Re: Scabbard and Malakite of Creation attunment?

Considering that Scabbard is an attunement from the Archangel of The Sword (who is also Commander of the Armies of God and thus outranks Eli), I suspect it might mot work for anything without a really long blade... so, yeah, I'd go with #1.
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:00 PM   #3
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkelk View Post
Considering that Scabbard is an attunement from the Archangel of The Sword (who is also Commander of the Armies of God and thus outranks Eli), I suspect it might mot work for anything without a really long blade... so, yeah, I'd go with #1.
Actually, it's canon that it'll work for weapons that lack a blade as well:

This attunements lets the angel “sheathe” any number
of weapons just outside of normal space, concealing
them utterly until needed....
Weapons stored with this attunement must be
ones that the angel can personally wield – it can’t be
used to hide field artillery. An M-60 is about the practical
limit.

Since it speaks to weapons that "the angel can personally wield," I would say the floor is wide-open for a Malakite of Creation who happens to be gifted with Scabbard. After all, it's not like an angel of Eli is going to earn Laurence's trust frequently enough for it to matter. (And it's not like Eli's going to be around long enough to give the Malakite attunement to angels of other Words!)

So either 2 or 3. And in a Hell campaign, I can see a Creation Virtue with Scabbard becoming a much-feared foe. :)

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 09:24 AM   #4
ISNorden

The spirit of the rules suggests that Laurence meant Scabbard to work only on a handheld weapon which was already designed as a weapon. Of course, some everyday non-combat items can still be remade into weapons ahead of time--think of all the ways convicts make knives, blackjacks, or clubs in prison movies. If a Creationer Virtue has earned Laurence's trust enough to get Scabbard in the first place, then I'd let that Virtue use the attunement on a weapon he'd made from scratch before the fight broke out--no matter what the item used to be. (Preparing a butcher-shop chicken for use in combat might sound ludicrous; but a desperate Creationer might grab a deep-frozen bird, then wrap it in dish towels to form a sap.)
Old 10-13-2012, 05:18 PM   #5
William

Let's put it this way -- a Scabbard probably shouldn't be used as a place that a Malakite Creationer could put anything just because it could potentially be used as a weapon. I would say that if the Malakite has used his Choir Attunement, so that an object has already been used as a weapon (or at least wielded with intent), then the Malakite has perceived the object from the proper Symphonic point of view and can thereafter Scabbard it. He could, possibly, teach someone else to view it that way as well, though this would take a while.
William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:17 AM   #6
naraht

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
An M-60 is about the practical
limit.
Under the heading of getting creative, what M-60 are they talking about? See (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M-60) . One of the choices is the M-60 Tank, the primary battle tank for the US-Army and NATO from 1961 to 1997.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:53 AM   #7
fwcain
Evil Game Master For Hire

Quote:
Originally Posted by naraht View Post
Under the heading of getting creative, what M-60 are they talking about?
This one...
fwcain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:36 AM   #8
naraht

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwcain View Post
Hmm. That's about 10 kg. (22 lbs). OTOH a Medieval Longsword is supposed to be about 1.5 kg. Hmm. Probably means that most Corp Heavy Angels would use the heavier standard human swords the way that most Humans would use a rapier...
Old 10-16-2012, 09:02 AM   #9
Whitelaughter

It's worth remembering that misusing an attunement can damage the Word - so while it would work, you'd give Laurence a migraine. Expect Scabbard to be stripped pronto by an annoyed Laurence, while a sympathetic Eli approves of your creativity and wonders what Larry is getting so upset about.
Whitelaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:02 PM   #10
cptbutton

Digressing, would some smartass Superior try to give Scabbard to one of David's servitors?

Oops, I was misremembering the rules for David. Never mind.

Last edited by cptbutton; 10-16-2012 at 09:03 PM. Reason: I am stupid
cptbutton is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eli, malakim