Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 10-17-2012, 08:30 PM   #11
Archangel Beth
In Nomine Line Editor

Default Re: Scabbard and Malakite of Creation attunment?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelaughter View Post
It's worth remembering that misusing an attunement can damage the Word - so while it would work, you'd give Laurence a migraine.
That said, if the Malakite uses MalofCreation on a toy sword, or a dress/decorative one, and then Scabbards it, Laurence might only get hiccups? O;>

I do think that the requirement of using Malakite of Creation on the object should be the minimum threshold for Things You Can Scabbard. I would probably be willing to go with this (...and hiccups...) but my riff would be that if you use MoC on anything else, while the item is Scabbarded, it removes the "weaponizing" effect and the first item pops out of malletspace, er, Scabbardspace. So you can have one weird non-weapon "weapon" Scabbarded at a time.

Alternatively! The item is weaponized "for the length of a single combat." Allowing it to be Scabbarded until the combat ends is another potential limitation; in this case, it is possible that the Malakite could run around MoCing everything it could grab and stuffing them in Scabbard to throw them at people later*... But it is also possible that with so many rolls, an Infernal Intervention might do something Very Bad, like explode everything out of the Scabbard, as a weapon, causing damage to the angel who put it there...

* HALLMARK CARD AISLE OF DOOOOOOOOM! Like a cornucopia, only of ninja throwing greeting cards.
Old 10-18-2012, 01:17 PM   #12
naraht

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archangel Beth View Post
That said, if the Malakite uses MalofCreation on a toy sword, or a dress/decorative one, and then Scabbards it, Laurence might only get hiccups? O;>

I do think that the requirement of using Malakite of Creation on the object should be the minimum threshold for Things You Can Scabbard. I would probably be willing to go with this (...and hiccups...) but my riff would be that if you use MoC on anything else, while the item is Scabbarded, it removes the "weaponizing" effect and the first item pops out of malletspace, er, Scabbardspace. So you can have one weird non-weapon "weapon" Scabbarded at a time.

Alternatively! The item is weaponized "for the length of a single combat." Allowing it to be Scabbarded until the combat ends is another potential limitation; in this case, it is possible that the Malakite could run around MoCing everything it could grab and stuffing them in Scabbard to throw them at people later*... But it is also possible that with so many rolls, an Infernal Intervention might do something Very Bad, like explode everything out of the Scabbard, as a weapon, causing damage to the angel who put it there...

* HALLMARK CARD AISLE OF DOOOOOOOOM! Like a cornucopia, only of ninja throwing greeting cards.
But the MoC attunement doesn't have the one item at a time limitation on it in general right? You don't need to use it on the Chicken and the Painting of George Washington at the same time, right?

While you could avoid the II if in heaven, that would require that the greeting cards be relicized first, right? Not sure if there is any way to get around that. (Sit in the tether focus?)

Of course that leads to the concept of a "loaded" scabbard where greeting cards (or for non MoC, bullets) are placed in the Scabbard and come out in a particular direction at speed. Hmm. Firing bullets into "Scabbard Space" and having them come out moving at speed when you want them...
naraht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 03:35 PM   #13
Archangel Beth
In Nomine Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by naraht View Post
But the MoC attunement doesn't have the one item at a time limitation on it in general right? You don't need to use it on the Chicken and the Painting of George Washington at the same time, right?
It doesn't have a "one item at a time" in general, no. That's my take for Scabbard. I do interpret the rules as meaning that you do have to make a Perception roll per item (or per reasonably identical item -- one roll in the greeting card aisle to toss them around for Deadly Papercuts, but another roll when you go into the toy aisle to turn Barbie into a deadly weapon). So if you have a greeting card in one hand, and Barbie in the other, that's 2 dissimilar items, and thus 2 rolls, but you can still dual-wield them -- you won't be hitting someone with a Deadly Ninja Greeting Card with one hand and a plastic doll with the other. It'll be DNGC and Death-Dealing Barbie at the same time.

I can see an argument the other way, and if a GM chose to play faster and looser, that'd be reasonable, too, but I'm pretty sure all the MoC assumptions I've seen "live" or in text have favored "one roll per (dissimilar) item."

The thing that is still needing to be taken into account with Scabbard is the for the length of the combat issue. Pre-loading DNGCards into Scabbard doesn't work because... you're not in combat, so they're not weapons!

Tags
eli, malakim