Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-25-2009, 08:11 AM   #1
Ravenspath

Default [Spaceships] Feedback and advice needed

Hello,
I will be playing in a Space campaign soon and would like some advice on shipbuilding. The campaign right now is set in a variation of Transhuman. There are two players and we will each have one character and one Ally on the ship. We are covert intelligence officers. I am ex military who owns the ship and is acting as a trader. The other player is a 'magician' who entertains in the ports we land it. (Magic has just come back to the universe.)

I have been using the Traveller spreadsheet (sorry, don't remember I got it. Author is TheDS) to get some rough ideas of how to build a ship. What I am looking for is a decent sized ship that can carry a medium amount of cargo, move pretty quickly and has good offense/defense capabilities. Some of these would be hidden since she is a military ship. Please take a look at the stats below and let me know what you think. I also need her to be able to run by only 2-3 people. My ally will be the copilot/mechanic. I am also thinking about adding a single seat fighter in a hanger bay to give us some more capabilities.

Any feedback is welcome. I know this is Traveller based so anything that would make it more TH or regular GURPS based is also welcome.

Thank you

Quote:
Hull: Streamlined Needle/Wedge hull, DDR 22 armor
Systems:
240 MW Fusion/11 Power Plant, Small Cockpit (Comp 5), Model 9 Sensor (Scan 24), 12 hour Fuel Purification
Subordinate Craft:
Statistics:
Jump: 2, Jump Range: 4, FPP Time: 12 hrs
Crew: Command: 1, Engineering: 3, Gunnery: 4, Maintenance: 1
Total: 9, Officers: 4, Petty Officers: 1, Crewmen: 4
Passengers: None
Other: USE THIS SPACE TO DETAIL ANY OTHER SPECIAL FUNCTIONS FOR THIS CRAFT.
Description:
120 Fuel Tanks, 1 Bunkrooms, 4 Staterooms
65 Cargo Spaces (typically Normal), 1 Sickbays
4 Hardpoints (0
unused), 3 Light
Turrets, 1 Heavy
Turrets, 2 Plasma
Guns, 2 Beam Lasers,
5 Pulse Lasers, 2
Missile Racks
4 Hardpoints (0 unused), 3 Light Turrets, 1 Heavy Turrets, 2 Plasma Guns, 2 Beam Lasers, 5 Pulse Lasers, 2 Missile Racks

SM: +9, Asig: +9, Hull DHP: 50, sAccel: 5.4G, Top Air Speed: 740
Emass: 1000 tons, Lmass: 1500 tons, Cost: M$250, LS Cap: 18, Days: 0

Last edited by Ravenspath; 05-25-2009 at 08:20 AM.
Ravenspath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 10:30 AM   #2
thtraveller

Default Re: [Spaceships] Feedback and advice needed

We need a few more stats to check the ship. I guess it is 300 DT and mixed TL10/11. The small (single seat cockpit?) bridge would need to be TL11 to be able to do the jump-2 calculation on its computers for Traveller. The scan rating of the model 9 sensors suggests TL10.

What is the maneuver-drive? To get 5.4G with an ISW reactionless drive you would need several hundred MW of reactor - probably close to 800 MW just for the drive. So around 1000MW required for the drive + sensors + weapons.

I am guessing the stats I am missing are 40 m-drive, 3 fuel processors, maybe a workshop and around 4 other spaces of something.

There isn't really anything in the ISW design system for reducing crew or automation. Other than having smaller lighter ships. Though this is TS so just replace the command crew and gunners with AIs. You probably want the G:Spaceships total automation feature which would remove your engineer requirements.

Is there a reason for not using G:Spaceships? you would likely get a lot more feedback and have more options available.

I characterize the TS feel as being advanced hard science and how it has changed people/society. So I would try to limit the super-science components. Though magic is also not hard science. So what are the TS elements you are trying to keep?

Accepting you want FTL, I would have a reaction drive for normal space maneuvering. And maybe a dedicated interface craft for planet side work.

Also what is the cargo? TS is close to the stage where it can manufacture almost anything locally. So cargo has to be something special.