Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-03-2013, 01:05 AM   #41
Jürgen Hubert

Default Re: The Definite d20/D&D Conversion thread

Looks good so far... though I have some comments:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
Dwarves (41 points)

Size Modifier: -1
Attribute Modifiers: HT +1 [10].
Secondary Characteristic Modifiers: Basic Move -1 [-5]
Advantages: Dark Vision [25]; Extended Lifespan 4 [4], Magic Resistance 1 [2], Resistant (Poison, +3 to HT) [5].
They still need an "Improved" Magic Resistance because otherwise they can't get Magical Aptitude - and starting in D&D 3E, at least, they can become wizards. Or perhaps they can buy Improved Magic Resistance as a "power-up"...

Quote:
Gnomes (15 points)
Attribute Modifiers: ST -1 [-10], HT +1 [10].
Advantages: Acute Hearing +2 [4], Extended Lifespan 3 [3], Night Vision 3 [3], Resistant (Illusions, +3) [5], Speak With Animals (burrowing creatures only -60%, 3 Uses/day -20%) [5].
I know I wrote them up this way originally, but maybe it would be a good idea to ditch the "3 Uses/day" limitation (increasing the cost of the advantage to 10 and the template to 20). D&D uses that as a balancing limitation, but in GURPS we don't have to do that.

Quote:
Halflings (24 points)

Size Modifier: -2
Attribute Modifiers: ST -1 [-10], DX +1 [20]
Advantages: Acute Hearing +2 [4], Luck (Defensive -20%) [12], Extended Lifespan 1 [1], Fearlessness +1 [2]
I'd add Silence 1 to this template to reflect the fact that they are supposed to be really stealthy.

Hmmm... maybe we can come up with "Power-Ups" in the way of Dungeon Fantasy for the races later, to reflect all those feats and other special abilities that the various races can get in the various rules incarnation. It would certainly help to make them more personalized...
Old 07-03-2013, 01:14 AM   #42
Strabo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jürgen Hubert View Post
Sure, put them up and we can discuss them.
Well, I have uploaded a file here. For some reason I had added an Unusual Biochemistry for all races that was not of the Humanoid type in D&D.
http://www.mediafire.com/?8xrmscu259leal2
Strabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 01:22 AM   #43
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jürgen Hubert View Post
They still need an "Improved" Magic Resistance because otherwise they can't get Magical Aptitude
Why do they have magic resistance anyway? d20 dwarves don't have SR, they have a bonus to saves, which is either Resistant (Resisted Spells) or just a straight-up bump to HT and Will.
Anthony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 01:25 AM   #44
Jürgen Hubert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Why do they have magic resistance anyway? d20 dwarves don't have SR, they have a bonus to saves, which is either Resistant (Resisted Spells) or just a straight-up bump to HT and Will.
If we are going that way, I'd go with Resistant as their bonus is explicitly to "spells and spell-like effects".
Old 07-03-2013, 01:56 AM   #45
Jürgen Hubert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strabo View Post
Well, I have uploaded a file here. For some reason I had added an Unusual Biochemistry for all races that was not of the Humanoid type in D&D.
Oh, wow! That's... comprehensive.

Lots of stuff to dig through, to be sure. I'll add commentary as I read through the templates.
Old 07-03-2013, 02:06 AM   #46
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strabo View Post
*yoink* filler

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 02:10 AM   #47
Blind Mapmaker

I've been doing a Forgotten Realms conversion for quite some time now. Would you be interested in 6 MB of German-language word files, Jürgen? I've been using it mainly for my 7+ year campaign and so it is a somewhat weird mix, but the major races, spells, magic items and monsters are accounted for.

The only problem is that all the GURPS terms are in German translation and I can't give you my translation files for copyright reasons. If you started with the old Pegasus 3rd Edition translation you should be familiar with 70% of the translations, though. PM me if you are interested.

Last edited by Blind Mapmaker; 07-03-2013 at 02:13 AM. Reason: Grammar
Blind Mapmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 03:03 AM   #48
Dammann

Alright, I may have missed some, but I got through Rasputin's pdf, and entered them to the Repository. I fogot to skip letters after a while, but I think I only missed a few on the second pass. Got too tired.
Dammann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 03:04 AM   #49
Jürgen Hubert

Some further comments after looking at Strabo's notes:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
Dwarves (41 points)

Attribute Modifiers: HT +1 [10].
Advantages: Dark Vision [25]; Extended Lifespan 4 [4], Magic Resistance 1 [2], Resistant (Poison, +3 to HT) [5].
Strabo includes the perks "Sure-Footed (Uneven)" and "Can intuitively know the depth underground". I would keep the latter, but would replace the former with some sort of resistance against knockback, which would fit better... does anyone know of such a thing within the GURPS rules?

He also includes Alcohol Tolerance, but I think that's adequately covered by HT +1 and Resistant to Poison.

Quote:
Elves (46 points)

Attribute Modifiers: DX +1 [20], HT -1 [-10].
Secondary Characteristic Modifiers: Per +2 [10].
Advantages: Extended Lifespan 5 [5], Less Sleep 4 [8], Magery 0 [5], Night Vision 3 [3], Resistant (Immunity to supernatural “sleep” effects) [5].
Elves should also get the "Trance instead of sleep" perk - while they are in a trance they won't get anything useful done, but they are not as oblivious of their surroundings as someone who is actually sleeping.
Old 07-03-2013, 03:06 AM   #50
Dammann

I think there is a "Light Sleeper" perk that might fit.
Dammann is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
conversion, d&d to gurps, d20 conversion, gurps repository