Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-02-2013, 03:36 PM   #21
Dammann

Default Re: The Definite d20/D&D Conversion thread

Alright, all set, except that the Balrog isn't showing up in the list of D&D Monster Conversions. I'll look into that later, though.
Dammann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 03:38 PM   #22
Rasputin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dammann View Post
I entered the Balrog, but I must have made an error in formatting the stats, which is weird, given that the instructions are embedded. If someone fixes it while I am away this evening, I'll try to learn from the repair. Otherwise, I'll try puzzling out how to fix it tonight.
He's one I didn't take from D&D, strange for some folks to think. I actually took a GURPS demon, a Tolkien wiki and my copy of Fellowship, and went from there, though I decided on wings since D&D Balors have wings, the movie has wings and it just makes them more bad-ass. The stuff I took from D&D says outright that I took it from the Monster Manual or the Tome of Horrors or (in one case) the 1e Fiend Folio (I was using its random encounter charts in the back to place monsters), with the page number in the Notes.

My GURPS blog.
Rasputin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 03:40 PM   #23
Rasputin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dammann View Post
Alright, all set, except that the Balrog isn't showing up in the list of D&D Monster Conversions. I'll look into that later, though.
I did a fix or two. He won't show up in there because I took out the tag (he isn't a D&D conversion, as I said), but there's a problem that, when you enter the monster at first, it assigns the tag "+dnd_conversion" instead of "dnd_conversion."

My GURPS blog.
Old 07-02-2013, 04:39 PM   #24
Dammann

Ah, missed that. I'll look more carefully at what you have written- I see from other entries how you did things, now.
Dammann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 04:47 PM   #25
Faolyn

I have about a bazillion creatures I wouldn't mind putting somewhere. But I have no idea who created most of them or where I got a lot of them (I ransacked not only all of my monster books from multiple editions but also my Dragon mags as well). Can we actually post them without violating some sort of copyright?
Old 07-02-2013, 05:11 PM   #26
Rasputin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faolyn View Post
Can we actually post them without violating some sort of copyright?
Officially, this is kind of muddy, but as long as we follow the OGL terms, we should be good. (The Tome of Horrors helpfully has a page dedicated to citing it the right way.) Game rules are widely thought to not be subject to copyright, but nobody has ever tested this.

My GURPS blog.
Old 07-02-2013, 05:44 PM   #27
simply Nathan
formerly known as 'Kenneth Latrans'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
SM -1 [-15]
Many of your races seem to be off by fifteen points. This is officially a 0-point Feature, maybe a -5 Social Stigma ("Inconvenient Size") if the baseline society is not used to accommodating them. Sure, they use smaller weapons and weaker armor, but they also get +1 to hit, -1 to be hit, and consume fewer rations.

And halflings are SM-2 in all editions other than 4. The "half" refers to them being half human height, or roughly three feet tall (SM-2).
Old 07-02-2013, 05:47 PM   #28
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth Latrans View Post
Many of your races seem to be off by fifteen points.
Probably 10, since he's also altering Move based on SM.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 05:48 PM   #29
JP42

I've not been able to dig deeply yet, but is anyone converting the spells from any of the D&D editions - say to RPM? I'd been considering this for a while, and this is the kind of impetus that might be helpful.
JP42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 06:35 PM   #30
simply Nathan
formerly known as 'Kenneth Latrans'

I treat them as the equivalent GURPS spell, where possible. I'm not used to high-level D&D spellcasters so one of the only ones I really want is Magic Missile, which I would treat as a Meta college Regular spell that creates a missile of magical energy that inflicts 1d pi-, always hits whatever it's sent to if the caster knows either a location to aim at or has the target in his line of sight, always aims for center mass (cannot be aimed at specific body parts). Costs 1 FP, but cannot be charged into a bigger attack like a standard Missile spell which is why I made it Regular instead. DR from magic protects fully, but it ignores all others.

Tags
conversion, d&d to gurps, d20 conversion, gurps repository