Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-04-2013, 09:36 AM   #101
Laughing Man

Default Re: The Definite d20/D&D Conversion thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jürgen Hubert View Post
Hmmm... given that they are supposed to be small and agile, how about giving them a level of Enhanced Dodge instead?
Enhanced Dodge would leave Fortitude and Will out of the picture.
That's why I chose Luck (Defensive). While not 100% accurate I found it very flavorful. Also it covers pretty much all the D&D saves: Fortitude, Reflex and Will.
Laughing Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:06 AM   #102
Jürgen Hubert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
Enhanced Dodge would leave Fortitude and Will out of the picture.
That's why I chose Luck (Defensive). While not 100% accurate I found it very flavorful. Also it covers pretty much all the D&D saves: Fortitude, Reflex and Will.
Yeah, that makes sense. The hobbits in The Lord of the Rings really were lucky little bastards, weren't they? That advantage certainly fits their "everyman hero" image...
Old 07-04-2013, 10:14 AM   #103
Raekai
World's Worst Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faolyn View Post
It's the feel, not the system. For me, DF wants a point-and-shoot, I-cast-magic-missile-at-the-darkness type of magic. RPM feels more realistic, needing reagents and time and invoking the essence of magic. I kinda wish I was running a more serious fantasy game so I could use it.
Then you're feeling it wrong and doing it wrong. Not to sound like a jerk! By no means do I mean to call you out. It's flexible for a reason. RPM works just fine for DF. Anything anyone else tells you (including yourself) is lying. ;)
Raekai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:31 AM   #104
vierasmarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekai View Post
Then you're feeling it wrong and doing it wrong. Not to sound like a jerk! By no means do I mean to call you out. It's flexible for a reason. RPM works just fine for DF. Anything anyone else tells you (including yourself) is lying. ;)
Indeed. For a lighter, "point-and-shoot" style of RPM, all you need to do is have some pre-defined offensive spells that casters prepare as Charms. Don't expect casters (even Adepts) to be casting spells from scratch in the the fast-paced combat of DF. I haven't used it much in-game, but it seems ideally suited for a (sensible) Vancian-esque magic system.

EDIT: Also, thanks for linking to that old thread. I'd mostly forgotten about it, despite taking part in the discussion myself. =P

Last edited by vierasmarius; 07-04-2013 at 10:44 AM.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:47 AM   #105
Faolyn

Quote:
Heh. That's OK, you're not a jerk. I've already changed magic systems once in this game, though, so I'm not going to do it again. If this game ends (and since my players love being medieval rock stars who adopt goblins, they won't let me stop it), and I run another DF game, I might just try it and see how it works for me.

Now if only they'd actually publish the RPM book...
Old 07-04-2013, 11:14 AM   #106
Raekai
World's Worst Detective

Quote:
You know what? There are enough of us that want it! Let's form an angry mob!
Raekai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 11:14 AM   #107
Faolyn

Quote:
I'll get the pitchforks. You get the flaming torches.
Old 07-04-2013, 11:24 AM   #108
Faolyn

Laughing Man!

I got a notice that said you replied to my post about my leveled magic system, but for the life of me I can't find it here on the boards. Did you or someone else delete it?

Anyhoo, you said:

Quote:
Me personally, I do not like level-based magic, it reminds me too much of the arbitrary constraints of the original D&D. I want to be able to play a really low-magery scholar, who has not much talent for magic (hence the low magery), but studies his ass of so he is stable able to learn most of the spells. This is just an example, but it think it is clear where I am coming from.

I hope I don't sound rude. I don' want to criticize your work, it just isn't my cup of tea.
Which was more or less the point of it--it's just a bit of D&Dism and not too dissimilar to the standard DF clerical spell lists. That, and I really hate the prerequisite system. Any system where Haircut has a longer prerequisite chain than Explosive Fireball is kinda messed up. I wouldn't use this system in any other sort of game, because, as you say, it doesn't allow for a character with wide knowledge but low power, but it does kinda help to model the struggling apprentice versus the grand master that you find in D&D-style games.

(BTW, if you did deliberately delete your post, I'm sorry for re-posting it. Let me know and I can delete this one, too.)
Old 07-04-2013, 11:34 AM   #109
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I'll get the pitchforks. You get the flaming torches.
You guys do that, I'll settle for the ICBMs... Hard to be part of an angry mob from the other side of the pond!

Trust me when I say that I have my own reasons to want GT:RPM to be out...
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 11:54 AM   #110
Faolyn

I've put up Doppelgangers, Dragonnes, Genies, and Hags.

...I expect that some people will have issues with my version of the genie.

Tags
conversion, d&d to gurps, d20 conversion, gurps repository