Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 03-29-2019, 02:35 AM   #1
Thorsz

Default Weapon ST Requirements

If ST falls below the weapon requirements due to injury or exhaustion, does the DX penalty apply? I'm assuming it doesn't since the combat example has a figure wielding a Morningstar (ST 13 req) and his adjDX didn't change after taking 2 hits of damage. I didn't see it specifically addressed in the rules, just implied in the combat example.

Last edited by Thorsz; 03-29-2019 at 02:47 AM.
Thorsz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 05:06 AM   #2
flankspeed

Default Re: Weapon ST Requirements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorsz View Post
If ST falls below the weapon requirements due to injury or exhaustion, does the DX penalty apply?...
No, when injury or fatigue temporarily reduce ST below the requirement, there is no DX penalty for wielding a weapon with less ST. It would be a real hassle to keep track of such fluctuations in ST. (At least I have never seen a rule requiring that level of detail, but if I’m wrong, I am open to being corrected.)

However, if something were to reduce ST in a long-term or permanent way, such as the loss of a limb or an effect designed specifically to weaken a person’s muscles (old age, disease, poison, drugs, magic, etc.), then I would treat the character as functioning with the reduced ST.

And it is always necessary to keep in mind the temporary effects of injury during battle, such as taking 5 Hits in one turn causing -2 DX next turn.

Hope that helps!

Last edited by flankspeed; 03-29-2019 at 05:11 AM.
flankspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 06:24 AM   #3
Chris Rice

Actually this effect is in the rules, albeit in a simplified form. When ST is reduced to 3 the character is at -3DX until ST can be brought above 3 again. So it's okay ish) to be reduced to ST4 but don't let it drop to ST3!
Chris Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 07:46 AM   #4
hcobb

Two cases were adjST counts:

ITL 66: "Strictly, weight carried/moved should be based on the ST a figure has at that moment. For play purposes, you should usually base it on the figure’s basic strength, and let it go."

ITL 71: "Since tunneling speed is based on a figure’s ST at the moment affected by any wounds or exhaustion) this means that the diggers will slow down each
hour until they drop."
Old 03-29-2019, 01:30 PM   #5
JLV

I thought this was specifically addressed in the rules somewhere -- that injuries received in combat did NOT affect ST for purposes of armor or weapons use. Now I'll have to wade through the rules again to see if I can find it... ;-)
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 04:29 PM   #6
flankspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLV View Post
I thought this was specifically addressed in the rules somewhere -- that injuries received in combat did NOT affect ST for purposes of armor or weapons use. Now I'll have to wade through the rules again to see if I can find it... ;-)
The original "In The Labyrinth" book from approximately 40 years ago had a section called "Losing Abilities When Attributes Are Reduced" on page 17.

It specifically stated that temporary losses do not affect skill/talent requirements, but that is probably not what you are looking for.

It does not specifically address weapon ST requirements here, but one may infer that only permanent reductions to ST would invoke a DX penalty.
Old 03-29-2019, 08:20 PM   #7
JLV

Well, that explains it. I've been reading through BOTH sets of rules as I go, comparing and contrasting, and I must have gotten that mixed up between sets. Thanks!
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 08:26 PM   #8
flankspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLV View Post
Well, that explains it. I've been reading through BOTH sets of rules as I go, comparing and contrasting, and I must have gotten that mixed up between sets. Thanks!
You are welcome!
Old 03-30-2019, 02:07 PM   #9
Skarg

I think magic effects such as the Weakness enchantment, and Reduce ST potion, would reduce your ST for purposes of using weapons, but injury doesn't do that.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 06:42 PM   #10
flankspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
I think magic effects such as the Weakness enchantment, and Reduce ST potion, would reduce your ST for purposes of using weapons, but injury doesn't do that.
I agree. I just didn't fully spell out that anything specifically designed to directly affect a figure's physical strength and carrying capacity, whether temporary or permanent, would almost certainly change effective ST either positively or negatively.