Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Traveller

Old 03-25-2019, 08:48 PM   #1
hal

Default First and Second Surveys for the Third Imperium

Hello Folks,
Rather than give my own conclusions on analyzing the raw data, I'd like to make a suggestion of the following:

Download from www.TravellerMap.com both the data from the Third Imperium's second survey (year 1105 of the Third Imperium.) and the data for the Third Imperium's First Survey *(year zero of the Third Imperium)

The way to do this is to go to the web page, double click on a sector. You will get a menu that lets you view "raw data". If you click on it, you will see a text file that is fixed column formatted information. Click on that view and do a "Save as". This in turn will download the file into your download folder.

You probably are wondering "how do I view data from the First Census if the default view is the Second Census?". The answer to that is to click on the upper right hand side of your view while in www.travellermap.com on the symbol that when mouse over it says "Options". It looks like a series of 3 black parallel lines inside of a red square box. Click on that, and new symbols will appear on the menu in that same area. They are from left to right...

A gear symbol, a beaker/flask symbol, a clock face symbol, an odd square with a curved arrow on it, and a question mark symbol.

The one you want to use is the Clock face symbol. What that permits you to do is select the time line in in which you can view the various different times of the region of known mapped space for the Traveller Universe.

Sadly, they don't have a map listing for the First Imperium, although, if you go to http://wiki.travellerrpg.com/First_Imperium - you will see that they did make a map using www.travellermap.com.

In any event - what is my suggestion is this:

For example, download the text file for the Corridor sector in both the First Census and for the Second Census. Import them into an excel spreadsheet such that you have both the UWP values of the worlds, and the PBG values. I would suggest making certain with the hex id for both census files (in the Corridor sector, there is at least ONE world that had a name change between the First and Second Census.

My suggestion? Compare how some worlds started out with a higher population value in year 0 than what they had in year 1105. There has to be a STORY there right?

In some areas, you will see that the star port doesn't change despite the 1,000 years of time. Think about it. Those star ports that were class A (Class V) star ports in year zero, and are also class A star ports in 1105 - those star ports are OLD!

Sadly - the First Census only covers 12 sectors. The closest sector to the Spinward Marches is Corridor - and for me, my goal/objective is to explore the potential history of how/why the Third Imperium spent all the resources it did, to colonize Mora by year 60. For me, the question is "Why did the Third Imperium spread across 92 parsecs distance (Vland/Vland to Mora/Spinward Marches)?

If Corridor had not been part of the Third Imperium in year zero, if Deneb was not part of the Third Imperium, then why was it that Mora was so important?

In the end, any GM who cares about this kind of thing (and few likely will) the implications will require them to resolve it in their own minds. However - looking a the before and after data sets for those 12 gives any GM or author a chance to maybe start describing things as ANCIENT. Come on. 1105 years in which the world has had an A star port? Sure, they can always move things about and renovate things and such - but imagine being able to point out the "old" star port "pits" are blackened from a cumulative 400,000 plus days of ships descending into the pits. Imagine being able to point out "landmarks" that haven't changed in Vilani landscapes (aren't they supposed to be unwilling to change things?).

I think this is a good opportunity to enrich the flavor of the Third Imperium...
hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 12:53 AM   #2
inexorableTash

Default Re: First and Second Surveys for the Third Imperium

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal View Post
Download from www.TravellerMap.com both the data from the Third Imperium's second survey (year 1105 of the Third Imperium.) and the data for the Third Imperium's First Survey *(year zero of the Third Imperium)
The First Survey was published in 420, per Atlas of the Imperium; it started centuries after Year Zero.

Quote:
A gear symbol, a beaker/flask symbol, a clock face symbol, an odd square with a curved arrow on it, and a question mark symbol.
The "Enable Experiments" option on the settings page of the menu must currently be enabled for all of these options, including Milieu, to appear. It is not visible by default.
inexorableTash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 01:08 AM   #3
hal

Default Re: First and Second Surveys for the Third Imperium

Per Milieu Zero (T4) - what is called FIRST SURVEY is for the year 0.

per the product on page 4 of the introduction...

"This detailed UWP information is based on data originally created for the Traveller Atlas of the lmperium (for the Mature Imperium Milieu circa 1105); it has been backdated to correspond to the Year 0 Milieu."
hal is offline   Reply With Quote