Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 04-02-2019, 11:19 AM   #51
Munchkin King

Default Re: Your Dirtiest Tricks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post
Dragons are a subtype of monster. A Dragon Steed is not a monster but a Steed, and you can't add monsters to Steeds.

(Adding in the wrinkle that if you chose to fight a Dragon Steed as a monster, it would count as a Dragon at that point. But that's not what you were doing.)
The Dragon rules you published in the packet called Dragons do not specify that Dragon cards can only be played on Dragon monsters, they only need be Dragons. I was quoting you directly what the published rules said, and I followed those rules to the letter. Just because a Dragon Steed is not a monster doesn't make it not a Dragon (Although your ruling now changes this.). My reasoning for thinking a Dragon Steed is a Dragon goes something like this: it says Dragon on it. A Dragon Steed is (or rather was) much more clearly a Dragon per the rules than the Big, Black .45 is a Gun for the purposes of granting an Assassin a +2. Would you say that the Bowie Knife is not a Bow for granting an Indian a +2 for using a Bow?

Absent a prior rules posting I am not aware of, I clearly was not breaking the rules at the time I made the play. I quoted you comprehensively the rules that I was following: can you cite any rule I broke?

That being said, I acknowledge and accept this change in the rules.
Munchkin King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 12:12 PM   #52
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Undead and Sharks are types of monsters and in the context of that rule, Dragons are also being discussed as a type of monster. This isn't a change in the ruling, it's how the rule was intended to be interpreted from the beginning.

I'm busy getting ready for FnordCon, so this will be my last word on the subject.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 01:21 PM   #53
TheAmishStig

The whole reason Munchkin Cthulhu is one of my favorites is the potential for mutually-assured destruction. If you're way behind, with no way of catching up...squirrel away a Cultist and a Blow to the Head (may not be the exact card title). If the players decide to get greedy with the Cultist combat bonuses, you're one "Biff! You're a cultist" -> "I'm voluntarily becoming a Cultist" away from "Screw you all, Cthulhu wins!"
MIB Agent #0460
Ogre 134th Battalion

Lancaster, PA
Imgur: https://agent0460.imgur.com/
TheAmishStig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 10:05 PM   #54
Munchkin King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post
Undead and Sharks are types of monsters and in the context of that rule, Dragons are also being discussed as a type of monster. This isn't a change in the ruling, it's how the rule was intended to be interpreted from the beginning.

I'm busy getting ready for FnordCon, so this will be my last word on the subject.
So it wasn't that I violated the letter of any rule, it's that I exploited the rules and used them in a way that they were never intended to be used in order to gain a mechanical advantage that you never intended.

My behavior, in other words, was munchkinly.

In any other game, that might be considered poor play.
Old 04-03-2019, 10:12 PM   #55
Munchkin King

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAmishStig View Post
The whole reason Munchkin Cthulhu is one of my favorites is the potential for mutually-assured destruction. If you're way behind, with no way of catching up...squirrel away a Cultist and a Blow to the Head (may not be the exact card title). If the players decide to get greedy with the Cultist combat bonuses, you're one "Biff! You're a cultist" -> "I'm voluntarily becoming a Cultist" away from "Screw you all, Cthulhu wins!"
Well, when the last player in the game becomes a Cultist, one of the players wins: the one with the highest level. Cthulhu is of course the big winner, but the Munchkin with the highest level is recognized as the head of the Cthulhu Cult.

That being said, you raise a very good point that is a very good idea to keep a Cultist card in your hand, and hoard those Whack on the Side of the Head Cards. The last player in the game who is not a Cultist goes up a level, and if that makes him the highest level player, he can totally make himself a Cultist and win. I have won Munchkin Cthulhu games that way.
Old 04-04-2019, 08:10 AM   #56
Mister Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchkin King View Post
Well, when the last player in the game becomes a Cultist, one of the players wins: the one with the highest level. Cthulhu is of course the big winner, but the Munchkin with the highest level is recognized as the head of the Cthulhu Cult.

That being said, you raise a very good point that is a very good idea to keep a Cultist card in your hand, and hoard those Whack on the Side of the Head Cards. The last player in the game who is not a Cultist goes up a level, and if that makes him the highest level player, he can totally make himself a Cultist and win. I have won Munchkin Cthulhu games that way.
I won the only game of Munchkin Cthulhu I ever played this way. I was the last non-cultist, and I sold everything I had until I was the highest level, then made myself a cultist. I know there are many ways this could go wrong, since you are obviously telegraphing what you are doing when you start selling everything for levels, but luckily nobody had an answer.
Mister Ed is offline   Reply With Quote