Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 04-06-2019, 09:17 PM   #1
Izzy_B

Default Fnord Con M6 M7 maps

These look cool, I already ordered them since I couldn't travel to Austin for the con. Looking forward to them.

We really do live in glorious times for Ogre!
Izzy_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 11:07 PM   #2
wolf90

Default Re: Fnord Con M6 M7 maps

Glad you liked them. I've been keeping these under wraps until FnordCon, as I wanted attendees to have first glimpse. That said, these are in the wild now, baby!

We have two new maps: one is a playground for GEVs, the other a playground for Heavy Tanks. Both geomorph with previous playmat map releases. allowing even larger maps. I think they are worthy additions to the line. Both are available on W23.

D.
Proud sponsor of Ogre KS $4.5k Sheet #3 - Bringing the Vatican Guard, a Tiger-striped mercenary unit, and of course pink GEVs, to a game near you! Orders may be placed here.
wolf90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 03:17 AM   #3
Celjabba

They look like nice additions to the existing ones !

Any hope they will be included with a future Battlefields II ? (or another KS backerkit ?)

Unlikely, but if any European gamer is at the Fnord Con and willing to pick a couple playmats for me ?
Celjabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 09:48 AM   #4
Cat

M6 looks very familiar — sending sketches to Drew pays off!
Old 04-07-2019, 09:52 AM   #5
Stabliser

Whats the most efficient way to get these in the UK if Im currently waiting for m4 & m5 from battlefields backerkit and dont mind waiting?
Stabliser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 09:54 AM   #6
Bowser

I got an email notification about these and ordered my copies right away. I love the fact that they geomorph with several of the previous releases. So . . .

Drew,

I would love to see a mini-contest for designing the best three- or four-playmat scenario for OGRE. (I'm not bright enough to do this, but there ya go.) I'll bet there would be some great ideas out there. The best ones could go into Ogrezine III or Ogrezine IV, (hint, hint). Maybe the overall winner would be allowed to work with you in developing yet another playmat! Yay!

The other issue I'd like to bring to your attention (and this has come up before), is the possibility of a two-part original orange playmat(s) that represent the original Ogre map. Since there would be extra space, I would propose that the hexes that mirror the original could be edged in a bright orange hex-sides so that any scenarios that use the original map could be played on these two playmats. But the extra hexes around the edges would allow for vastly altered tactics.

Also, (and I think I mentioned this awhile back), with the extra hexes both on the side the Ogre enters the game and the side which would be "behind" where the CP usually is placed, this would allow for an "easier" or "tougher" game. If I remember correctly (I may be wrong here, but the theory would be the same), there would be three extra rows of hexes on each of these "end" edges.
A) A "Novice" setting for the defender's side would consist of automatically having the Ogre start three rows further back, allowing the CP to be located three rows further back in the opposite direction (total of 6 rows further away!) and moving up (i.e. towards the Ogre) the line behind which the defense sets up its forces. This setup should give a big advantage to the defender. Conversely, this would constitute an "Advanced" setting for the player of the Ogre.
B) Switching things around to make an "opposite" scenario wouldn't be quite equal, however. The "A" scenario put the CP a total of 6 hex rows further away giving the defender a minimum of two more turns to blast away at the Ogre. For the "B" scenario, giving the Ogre two fewer turns (i.e. forcing the CP to be 6 rows closer) might make playing the defense unwinnable. In any case, leave the line behind which the defense must set up at the same place as in the original scenario, but state that the CP cannot be in the last 6 rows of that playmat (i.e. cannot be in the last 3 rows of the area representing the original Ogre map). Without playtesting this at all, it just seems like the Ogre would crush the CP 100% of the time. It might be hard to make a "B" scenario that would be a fair one - where the Ogre player would be rated as a "Novice" and the defender would have to be an agile "Advanced" player, but still winnable by either side.
I should note that as I thought up both "A" and "B" above, I assumed that the extra columns of hexes to the left and right sides of these proposed playmats would be off-limits.

I really think that two playmats which would geomorph together to make an "expanded" orange Ogre map, would be a viable product at $60. I know I would buy it (several copies) and I've seen other requests for such a map in these forums over past months.

Anyway, long post which in hindsight probably should have been separated into two threads, but these two new playmats (especially with the fact that geomorphing is now considered valid - which wasn't the case originally) really got my juices flowing.

Congrats on a great job, Drew! I very much look forward to receiving my copies.

Bowser
Old 04-07-2019, 02:11 PM   #7
voodoo54

Are these available now or are they pre order?
voodoo54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 02:32 PM   #8
jfleisher

Just ordered 2x both new mats...

My Ogre Miniatures Blog: http://ogreminiatures.blogspot.com
jfleisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 03:32 PM   #9
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoo54 View Post
Are these available now or are they pre order?
In Warehouse 23 right now and shipping out this week.

http://www.warehouse23.com/products?...D=558398555-sb
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote