Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-24-2012, 07:15 AM   #11
Bruno

Default Re: [LT] Monstrous Bow SM+3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seneschal View Post
As for the "deadly spring", I don't know what you're referring to. Is there a system somewhere for calculating any of the things that would help me? I haven't seen it in any of the books, and if I try to do purely physical modelling, I'll probably get it wrong and not know how to translate it into GURPS rules anyhow.
It's a Pyramid article from issue #33 Low Tech, all about making bows.

A quick run through suggests using TL4 steel, you could get:
Draw Weight: 625 lbs
MinST: 36
Draw Length: 90"
Damage: 8d+0 imp
Acc: 4
-1/die dmg Range: 337 yd
1/2D Range: 337 yd
Max Range: 337 yd
Weight: 86.2/2.45
Bulk: -12
Cost (Bow/Arrow): $2145/$31.30

Arrows are 96 inches long, 1.25 inch diameter, listed arrows are barbed war arrows made of black walnut wood.

For folks with the spreadsheet, N is 3, thickness is 0.75 inches, stave is straight/rectangular, bow length is 192", working percentage 94%, damage is "cinematic" to be more in line with GURPS but I think cinematic damage diverts a bit at the higher ST ranges :)

Last edited by Bruno; 10-25-2012 at 07:22 AM.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:46 AM   #12
Aneirin

The deadly spring is in an issue of Pyramid and comes with an excel sheet to work things out and make bows more realistic.

It includes materials and shape, for bows and arrows, whether composite, how much it curves draw length. Just try with various figures until you get what you want and what strength you would need as well as damage range and accuracy for your creation.
Aneirin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:00 AM   #13
Seneschal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
It's a Pyramid article from issue #33 Low Tech, all about making bows.

A quick run through suggests using TL4 steel, you could get:
Draw Weight: 625
MinST: 36
Draw Length: 90
Damage: 8d+0 imp
Acc: 4
-1/die dmg Range: 337
1/2D Range: 337
Max Range: 337
Weight: 86.2/2.45
Bulk: -12
Cost (Bow/Arrow): $2145/$31.30

Arrows are 96 inches long, 1.25 inch diameter, listed arrows are barbed war arrows made of black walnut wood.

For folks with the spreadsheet, N is 3, thickness is 0.75 inches, stave is straight/rectangular, bow length is 192", working percentage 94%, damage is "cinematic" to be more in line with GURPS but I think cinematic damage diverts a bit at the higher ST ranges :)
That looks suited for what I'm trying to do, but those stats are weird! Damage is 8d imp, but ST 36 thrusting is 4d-1. Bulk is -12 when ship-mounted cannons tend to have -10.

I don't have that Pyramid, but I might get it and fiddle around with the stats a bit.
Seneschal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:06 AM   #14
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seneschal View Post
That looks suited for what I'm trying to do, but those stats are weird! Damage is 8d imp, but ST 36 thrusting is 4d-1. Bulk is -12 when ship-mounted cannons tend to have -10.

I don't have that Pyramid, but I might get it and fiddle around with the stats a bit.
Remember that you're not firing arrows, you're firing long spears.
Old 10-24-2012, 09:17 AM   #15
Aneirin

The spreadsheet has 2 settings. Cinematic and realistic. Realistic may give better stats (well...worse stats from an effectiveness view point!)
Aneirin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:30 AM   #16
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aneirin View Post
The spreadsheet has 2 settings. Cinematic and realistic. Realistic may give better stats (well...worse stats from an effectiveness view point!)
At more human poundages, both give lower damage ratings than you'd get from a comparable GURPS thrust damage, but cinematic is closer. At higher poundages, it does spiral off.

Note that The Deadly Spring correctly treats bows as a mechanical projectile launching machine that happens to be loaded and held taught by muscle power. In this variant, damage isn't calculated based on ST, it's based on kinetic energy (like a gun or siege weapon). The ST of the bow is "strength required to draw (and hold drawn)".

Basically, the whole point of the article is to disconnect bows from ST :)
Old 10-24-2012, 12:04 PM   #17
Der Wanderer

Monstrous Bow seems slightly heavy, how do you plan on transporting that thing???

I found at high ST throwing to be the best ranged skill (especially since in your case Super Throwing (TK) seems reasonable and would add lots of damage and range relatively cheap)...

Mighty Metallic Boomerang (SM+2)
Doesn't return!
Damage: sw+1 imp (a boomerang can have almost any shape and with metallic imp is not out of bounds)
MinST 15
Range 10.8x / 18x
Weight 6.25 lb (now thats way lighter than the bow)
Price 20 x 6.25 (scaling) x 5 (metallic) = 625$

Personally I would simply get a Steel Gauntlet XXL, then you can pick up stones and hurl those...
Old 10-24-2012, 01:05 PM   #18
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Wanderer View Post
Monstrous Bow seems slightly heavy, how do you plan on transporting that thing???
I presume with the TK, although that limits you to one step per turn unless he has Compartmentalized mind :)
Old 10-24-2012, 01:08 PM   #19
Anders

Quote:
I presume with the TK, although that limits you to one step per turn unless he has Compartmentalized mind :)
How much would ít cost to 'hammerspace' that baby?
Old 10-24-2012, 02:47 PM   #20
Der Wanderer

Quote:
TK counts as two hands (more or less) and hands are not so good to carry loads (thats what the backpack is for).
Besides BL 175 lb carrying that bow (no arrows!) is like an average person (ST10) carrying 10 lb in his hands (do that on your next hike, I mean its possible, but its certainly uncomfortable.).

Also, even with CM, every time your concentration is broken (e.g. a tiger roars nearby) he drops the whole shebang (which might lead to damaging that bow)...

But foremost there is fatigue to consider:
Personally I think concentration is at least as taxing as hiking (actually I would say its way more taxing) so there is additional FP cost (in addition to whatever other activity you do hiking/riding etc) to consider even with CM (you do 2 things hiking and concentrating), so obviously you burn through more FP.

Tags
bow, deadly spring, low-tech, pyramid 3/33, steel bow, tubular bow