Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-09-2008, 04:38 AM   #11
LordHelmet

Default Re: Question on Disarm and Ready Weapons

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Benj
Your weapon is Ready. Just like if you take an Attack, your Attack doesn't take until the start of your next turn to resolve, your Readying a weapon doesn't either.
Very good point - I am now inclined to see it your way.

While giving it another thought I came up with another example. Here it gets quite obvious that the weapon is ready during the Ready maneuver.

Think of two opponents facing each other. Green uses a weapon that becomes unready after each attack. Red uses a 'normal' weapon that doesn't become unready.

Read the example as follow:
y-axis, first row: Maneuvers of Green and his Defenses
y-axis, second row: alternating Turns
y-axis, third row: Maneuvers of Red and his Defenses

x-axis: Time
Code:
                                    no Parry
                                   weapon is
Maneuver Green: Attack              unready    Ready              Parry  Attack

Turns:          Green(1)      Red(1)          Green(2)     Red(2)        Green(3) 

Maneuver Red:          Parry  Attack                       Attack

- - - - - - - - - t i m e - - - - - - - >
If it were true what I said before Green would be unable to parry during his first and second turn - which would be indeed a to great disadvantage for using a weapon that becomes unready after each attack.

Thank you The Benj for the enlightenment.
LordHelmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 04:52 AM   #12
The Benj

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmet
Thank you The Benj for the enlightenment.
That's cool. I must admit, I do kind of like the idea of applying things the other way around, but it gets too complicated when you're having people interrupt each other.
It's (I believe) why the good Doctor revised the way that Concentration for spells, to avoid this kind of "I stabbed you before you could do that!", "No you didn't, I cast my spell!" sort of cowboys and Indians hoo-ha.
The Benj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 10:38 AM   #13
Verjigorm

Location: Charlotte, North Caroline, United States of America, Earth?

[QUOTE=mook]Perfectly fine workaround Verjigorm - unfortunately, the examples are meant to illustrate the Basic set rules-as-written, no more no less, so adding in a house rule isn't really an option for me. Thanks though. : )
[QUOTE]

Uh, I'm pretty sure my solution is RAW. Attempting to draw a weapon in Close Combat requires a DX roll. If the hand or limb is grappled, then it's at -4 to DX. Therefore by RAW, you would be able to attack, grapple the hand(or arm) and make it hard to draw a weapon.
Old 02-09-2008, 12:50 PM   #14
mook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verjigorm
Uh, I'm pretty sure my solution is RAW. Attempting to draw a weapon in Close Combat requires a DX roll. If the hand or limb is grappled, then it's at -4 to DX. Therefore by RAW, you would be able to attack, grapple the hand(or arm) and make it hard to draw a weapon.
Oops - you're right. I was overthinking much of this issue, I wish I could say that's a rarity. Thanks for pointing that out, I would have disregarded a perfectly legal maneuver otherwise.
mook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 01:08 PM   #15
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verjigorm
Doesn't grappling a limb prevent all limb use, not merely -4 DX?
Old 02-09-2008, 01:55 PM   #16
Daverius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molokh
I think you are right. You can wait to grapple the person's arm as they attempt to ready their sword. If you succeed. They suffer a -4 penalty to that limb, and if I understand correctly, once grappled they can't parry with that arm either. But they could use the other arm.

I think the better tactic would be to grapple the foe as they attempt to get their sword. If you succeed, they suffer -4 dex, and they can't use a sword anyways. Unless they draw out a knife, which I think they have difficulty doing anyways. I don't know, I need to look at the rules again.
Daverius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 03:10 PM   #17
mook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molokh
I don't think so. B370 (Grappling - Hit Location) "If you hit, your foe has -4 to DX only when using that body part." (emphasis theirs)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daverius
I think the better tactic would be to grapple the foe as they attempt to get their sword. If you succeed, they suffer -4 dex, and they can't use a sword anyways.
Agreed, though going by the rest of the discussion in this thread, you would have to attempt the grapple before they declare their Ready maneuver, since once the Ready maneuver is declared and the turn ends, the weapon is already out and ready.
Old 02-09-2008, 03:22 PM   #18
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mook
I don't think so. B370 (Grappling - Hit Location) "If you hit, your foe has -4 to DX only when using that body part." (emphasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by MA121
Defense While Grappling
A grappled fighter has -4 to DX (p. B370). This affects
combat skills, giving -2 to Block and Parry – and a grappled
limb can’t block or parry.
Ten chars.
Old 02-09-2008, 03:26 PM   #19
mook

Ah, good to know! (Though insofar as the examples I'm working on go, I'm trying to restrict to Basic set only for the moment).
Old 02-09-2008, 03:35 PM   #20
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mook
Ah, good to know! (Though insofar as the examples I'm working on go, I'm trying to restrict to Basic set only for the moment).
IMO the advent of MA made some balance changes for GURPS combat. Not a bad thing, but there is a point in illustrating similar combat situations with different rulesets (and similar rolls).

Tags
draw parry