Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-01-2017, 05:46 PM   #21
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: [Basic] Advantage of the Week (#34): Destiny

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
This is why I'm very saddened by discussion veering into IB/MH. Because I want more insight into ensuring that Destiny-characters get their Destined Thing.
I think "How do I ensure that campaigns reach a conclusion with all the same players?" is probably outside the scope of this thread.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 03:51 AM   #22
weby

In my current campaign all the PCs have destiny at 15 or 5 point levels by their choice. The destiny is treated basically as a combination of unusual background and how much the story/world focuses on the characters.

For the focus I use following descriptions based on movie character types.

15 pt. Title role In film credits: in large letters: “Starring XX as XX” This means that you are one of the primary beings in the legend, this is both good and bad. Good in that if the group is successful you will go to history, bad in that there will be way less freedom to chose character development.

5pt Name Role In films your character is named in the credits by name "XX as XX" This means that your name will be remembered by scholars if all things go well.

0pt Supporting character In films your role is mentioned like: “XX as Cop #1” No special effects. History will not remember you.
-10pt Mundane background Spear carrier In films not even your role is listed in credits. Do not roll any special background events, you were born normally and had a boring childhood/adolescence/early adulthood. You are also very unlikely to be singled out in a group. Thus when talking to your group the elven princess will likely not even look at you(not to mention acknowledge you).

As for the unusual background part: The campaign focuses on the ascension to divinity for a group of new deities when a huge cataclysm happens. Those with the 15 point version will become the deities and those with 5 points can become their lieutenants/demigods and similar lower level divine things. Anyone of the two lower level categories could not get any divine traits and thus no Player selected such.
Old 03-02-2017, 09:10 AM   #23
wellspring

Quote:
Originally Posted by weby View Post
15 pt. Title role In film credits: in large letters: “Starring XX as XX” This means that you are one of the primary beings in the legend, this is both good and bad. Good in that if the group is successful you will go to history, bad in that there will be way less freedom to chose character development.

5pt Name Role In films your character is named in the credits by name "XX as XX" This means that your name will be remembered by scholars if all things go well.

0pt Supporting character In films your role is mentioned like: “XX as Cop #1” No special effects. History will not remember you.
These are really evocative descriptions and I like how they immediately set your expectations. Very cool!
wellspring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 09:32 AM   #24
johndallman
Night Watchman

This series is now indexed under "Index to threads with lasting value" in GURPS Resources.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 11:21 PM   #25
kirbwarrior

On the note of Heir, I kind of like a similar approach. You figure out what your Destiny is in point total, pay for half of it, and get it for free later on. I'd still want some 'known' factor of when you'll get it (at the end of the first adventure, which is a hanful of campaigns, or maybe you 'accrue' the free points at a fraction of the speed you get actual points?), but it's a good start.

Also, Unusual Background: 'Destined to X' sounds like a good substitution. Actually, it works with plenty of traits. Unluckiness could be flavored as Destiny. So could an Ally Group that you continue to pour points into (I will conquer the world!), an Innate Attack (I have the Master Sword that will slay the true evil!), even Gadgeteer (I will invent the internet!). Higher Purpose works as a 'continued' destiny.

As for the trait itself, it might work if I knew the character would always be a part of the campaign. Then I would steer it that way without xem having a choice and eventually they will fulfill the destiny.

On that note, I don't think positive Destinies can end with your death unless the purpose of the destiny is a 'plot protection' version of Unkillable (oh wait, I've used Unkillable that way).

As for story-telling, you don't need to pay points to be a PC. PCs already are destined for conflict and (theoretically) greatness because that's how stories usually are. (Random example and spoilers:) Mulan wasn't trying to save China, but rather take her father's place in the army. The story went the way it did because that was the story being told. I don't know how taking a 15pt trait changes that.

Lastly, if PCs buy anything and don't know what they are buying, they should be getting it at half price (or double effectiveness). I know there is a rule in Basic about that, but I don't recall where. This is especially true for Destiny; If I knew I could spend 15pts now and get a 60pt package later for doing something (my destiny) without knowing what I'm getting and my destiny being hard to figure out, I... might do it.
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 09:36 PM   #26
Otaku

Just a quick update; the next BAotW should be Detect, and I hope to finally post it tomorrow. If it doesn't happen, I will likely wait until the weekend and effectively have taken this week "off", as perhaps I should have scheduled a break given some stuff I knew was coming up.

My apologies for the wait.
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 11:43 AM   #27
Gedrin

I allow players to pick their heading when it comes to destiny. I let them pick the magnitude by the points. Then I use their Advantage as a pool of points to fuel their progression toward destiny.

Examples include; a crucial ally, wealth, status, a dramatically discovered talent, or even Extra Life. I tend to think the penalty of the delay and less control is countered by the ability to spend emergency points, but I still tend toward generosity on advantages gained through play.
Gedrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 01:01 AM   #28
obaibullah

I love the idea of grouping vision-based advantages under one heading
obaibullah is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advantage, advantage of the week, destiny, week, [basic]