Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 07-10-2018, 08:53 AM   #111
luguvalium

Default Re: New Skills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jackson View Post
I don't know. 32/2 = 16, and giving 16 spells to every starting wizard seems as though it breaks one of the big tradeoffs of Wizard.
Here is another formula I've pondered: Total Knowledge ( points in talents and spells ) should not exceed IQ + ( IQ minus 8 )

In this way, the limit of an IQ 8 character is 8 points,
IQ 9 -> 10 points
IQ 10 -> 12 points
IQ 14 -> 20 points
IQ 16 -> 24 points

In this way, higher IQ characters have a greater capacity for knowledge, while keeping low IQ characters limited.

Steve Jackson Games my freely use this idea.

Last edited by luguvalium; 07-11-2018 at 05:35 PM.
luguvalium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 04:31 PM   #112
Rick_Smith

Default Forgetting talents and spells. --> Make it easy.

Hi all,
Since we are going back to the rules that your memory IQ (mIQ) is strictly limited we need again rules for forgetting spells and talents.

I would like to suggest that talents and spells can be forgotten instantly, at any time, for no cost.

Let us look at my duel class character: a Thief who is ALSO a pirate. In order to get Guns I need to forget Running. Rather than calling attention to the fact that managing memory slots is totally weird, just make it fast and easy, and get it over with. I get enough experience (XP), to buy Guns. I quietly erase Running and I'm done.

The only penalty is built in, the XP that I spent to buy Running is lost.

Thoughts?

Warm regards, Rick.
Rick_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 04:43 PM   #113
John Brinegar

Well, if talents are bought with XP, then this makes sense as it imposes a cost on switching talents. I suspect the old system of forgetting was designed at least in part to impose a cost on what otherwise would have been a costless switch.
John Brinegar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 04:52 PM   #114
pyratejohn

Default Re: Forgetting talents and spells. --> Make it easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_Smith View Post
I would like to suggest that talents and spells can be forgotten instantly, at any time, for no cost...

I get enough experience (XP), to buy Guns. I quietly erase Running and I'm done.
Yes, I would be all for that. Anything that speeds play and does away with bookkeeping is fine by me.
Old 07-10-2018, 04:53 PM   #115
tbeard1999

Default Re: Forgetting talents and spells. --> Make it easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_Smith View Post
Hi all,
Since we are going back to the rules that your memory IQ (mIQ) is strictly limited we need again rules for forgetting spells and talents.

I would like to suggest that talents and spells can be forgotten instantly, at any time, for no cost.
I have no problem with that. If a player wants to re-sculpt his character, why not let him?

I would, of course impose some kind of limit if PCs started redoing their skills in every new adventure.
tbeard1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 05:37 PM   #116
Steve Jackson
President and EIC

I am planning to ditch the complex forgetting rules AND the "announce what you're learning" rules. There's no sign that they added a great deal to play.

If characters redo their sheet before every adventure, they are hardly the same characters . . . Uh oh, I have slid into philosophy.
Steve Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 06:22 PM   #117
CJM

I was just thinking while on a walk that if you do go with a IQ/Memory slots, which I like. That if a PC survives long enough to fill all the IQ/Memory slots and has topped out on attributes that he/she has retained the right to have their PC retire and be placed as a significant NPC in the world, with a great background story already written. One way to do it anyway...maybe as a side note if a GM doesn't want to deal with forgetting talents. A kinda way to win in a game that doesn't have winners or losers (RPG). Just random thoughts flowing through my brain...
CJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 07:24 PM   #118
Rick_Smith

Quote:
... If characters redo their sheet before every adventure, they are hardly the same characters . . . Uh oh, I have slid into philosophy.
Well, if it costs you a few hundred experience points (XP) to buy a new talent, then you likely won't be changing your character before EVERY adventure.
Rick_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 07:37 PM   #119
Dave Crowell

Quote:
I am planning to ditch the complex forgetting rules AND the "announce what you're learning" rules. There's no sign that they added a great deal to play.
Thank You!
Dave Crowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 08:54 PM   #120
JLV

Quote:
Another great call, I think!
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote