Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 04-21-2019, 05:20 PM   #21
RVA_Grandpa

Default Re: Gate stabilisation

I can see the competition now. Gateway Inn on one side of the street and Courtyards by Mnoren on the other side. Both offer free continental breakfast.
We never really grow up; we only learn how to act in public.

Last edited by RVA_Grandpa; 04-21-2019 at 05:21 PM. Reason: addition
RVA_Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 05:47 PM   #22
FireHorse

And for the more budget-minded adventurers, down the street from the snooty Wizards' Guild gate, lies EconoGate — the discount teleportation service with fares up to 75% lower than the competition, but with less legroom, no snacks, and just the tiniest, infinitesimally greater chance (x3) of gate failure.

So please sign the waiver before entering, and be sure to indicate your next of kin.

Last edited by FireHorse; 04-21-2019 at 05:51 PM.
FireHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 07:06 AM   #23
Shadekeep

Nice to see all the variation in ideas about how folks handle Gates in their own campaign settings. I never used them very much, but then I recently had an idea for an adventure setting that was Gate-heavy. I've since revised that so it doesn't need Gates, but it's what got me thinking about the Gate stability issue in the first place.

I would think that any city where Gates are the absolute life-blood of the place would have an on-call mage. And I like the parallel that Steve draws with the Roman roads - they can become a costly but vital part of maintaining an empire, while also being convenient for others to use. At least as long as said empire allows that use.

And I agree that any Gates left behind by the Mnoren are likely to be far more reliable. They may even have technological or magical Gate stabilisers of their own.
Shadekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 07:38 AM   #24
hcobb

In the rules as written there are two basic ways of recovering from a gate failure:
  • Let the gate fail and rebuild it with 50 ST as needed.
  • Have a wizard able to respond within a minute with 50 ST.

The recovery ST can come from either stored or living ST. If you use stored ST then it takes a week to recover so your average traffic level is a fifty trips a week per wizard. If you use live wizard ST then you need a group of at least a half dozen wizards at hand and your traffic level is ten trips per hour per wizard.

If you rebuild instead of recovering then double these numbers, but add in travel time.
Old 11-22-2019, 09:40 AM   #25
Shadekeep

One other thing that just struck me about established Gate systems is that Mnoren Gates can literally lead to other worlds and planes. Since the Gate creator has to be able to travel to both ends of the Gate, only someone with a dimension-transiting ability like a Mnoren (or a demon) would be able to erect such a Gate.

No doubt this has been discussed before, but it's just now entering my own calculus for a maintained Gate network. I could see access to such Gates being very highly controlled by powerful groups, as well as becoming possible sources for incursions onto Cidri by beings from strange and distant realms.