Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 12-30-2015, 12:00 PM   #1
billchamb

Default Maximum Deck(s) Size

Is there a practical guideline for how many cards are too many to have in the Door and Treasure decks?

We (3 of us) are fairly new to the game (silly that it took us so long), and while all the expansions and mash-up sets look fun and inviting, at some point I imagine the card count and availability gets unwieldy (possibly even un-fun).

I also imagine the more players involved the more cards (proportionally) would be needed?

Thanks!
billchamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 12:07 PM   #2
Damon Griffin

Default Re: Maximum Deck(s) Size

It's Munchkin! That means more/bigger is always better!

For us it only becomes problematic when the decks are in danger of falling over when someone draws a card, and we took care of that using card trays. Even the single-height trays from this vendor help, and they'll be launching a Kickstarter soon for double- and triple-height versions.
Damon Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 06:17 AM   #3
Rohml

I'm sharing my experience.

On our play group we limit the maximum number to 100 cards per deck. This is because I only have 200-pc sleeves available to protect my cards. This enabled our games to "end" within an hour (at around 5-8 players), and to cut some cards that are either too confusing for us to use or too overpowered (or weak) to include in the deck (also we limit classes and races to 2 per piece, so we get unique classes/races per player).

This also worked well for my customized Munchkin Box and made counting the cards after playing easier (we play on diners and other public places)

But all-in-all there is no maximum deck size, you can make it as big or as small as you want. :)
Rohml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 02:43 PM   #4
Magesmiley

It really boils down to how many cards you are up to shuffling.

Keep in mind also that as you mix more and more sets together, the probability of being able to use class and race specific items goes down. The old Blender set had stuff to help with that some. Also, cards that rely on similar cards for bonuses (Hong Kong, -aser weapons) will get matches less often.

Despite that my family just uses all the cards that we have. Which currently weighs in at 3-4 card boxes (of I think 400 each). They seem to like having things like the British Chimera Dark Cyborg Elf Mummy Munchkin Master Yakuza Ranger. (I think I got all of that right and legal).

A few extra cards for more players is helpful, particularly if you have a lot players, but there is a point where you really don't need more.

Watch your handling and remember to Drive Offensively!
Magesmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 03:36 PM   #5
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magesmiley View Post
Keep in mind also that as you mix more and more sets together, the probability of being able to use class and race specific items goes down. The old Blender set had stuff to help with that some.
Which is why we reskinned it and made it the new Munchkin 7.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 06:28 PM   #6
billchamb

Thanks, all, for your insights and experiences!
billchamb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
basic, deck size