Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 10-06-2017, 04:39 PM   #21
Eugee

Default Re: Ogre computer game released

So I had a game where I went a ridiculously long time unable to get more than a 4 on the dice, and it prompted me to test the RNG more thoroughly.

I made a custom map with 7 town hexes in a circle. Deployed a MkVI in the center, and 30 sets of 3INF in 5 stacks surrounding it.

Then I would attack the ogre treads 90 times (which are only damaged on a 6 in the town hex) and record the results. After that I would attack a 3INF with 1 AP (can't damage their D9, but triggers 4 spillover rolls) on two different 3INF. That got me a round 100 rolls.

I did this 10 times, to get 1000 consecutive rolls.

1 - 17.80%
2 - 18.60%
3 - 16.20%
4 - 13.40%
5 - 17.00%
6 - 17.00%

So, while I would need a much, much larger sample to suggest the RNG is off, it was easily within tolerances for such a small sample.

But man, it was really a long string of <5!
Eugee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 05:11 PM   #22
Blue Ghost

Yeah, at times it felt like there was something wrong with the die roller, but the truth is it's really and truly random. The first few missions and the last couple I played the AI kept getting a high percentage roll of sixes when it went after a lone GEV or light tank, but things evened out.

Think of all those times when you had crappy die rolls, and your friend got really good ones. It's kind of like that >:)

Really a fun computer version of a classic game.
Blue Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 07:55 PM   #23
CON_Troll

OI! Been working and have only got a couple of hours on it. Love it though. Best 25 bucks I've ever spent. My one and only quibble is having to click on a stack to see what's inside. Can get annoying when you've got more than one stack on the board. Hope they patch it so that you can see what's in a hexagon stack by just hovering your mouse pointer over the hex. (Edit: Okay, they apparently patched it right away. You can now see what's in a stack by hovering. That's better.)

Love that we can make maps and scenarios to upload to the Steam Workshop for others to try out. I see several are already there.

Question: I was rather startled me to see my forum avatar on the game's main page. How did that happen? Is the game linked to the forums here through Steam somehow? Or is it just the Steam forums? (I use the same avatar for both.)

Last edited by CON_Troll; 10-07-2017 at 08:23 PM.
CON_Troll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 08:25 PM   #24
wolf90

Editors note: the series of posts relating to issues with destroying terrain has been moved to their own thread in the Ogre Video Game subforum. Please keep all issues relating to the game function and possible bugs there. This will assist Auroch to handle any issues. More general discussions as to how you like the game, etc. are welcome in the main Ogre forums. Thanks!

D.
Proud sponsor of Ogre KS $4.5k Sheet #3 - Bringing the Vatican Guard, a Tiger-striped mercenary unit, and of course pink GEVs, to a game near you! Orders may be placed here.
wolf90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 09:18 PM   #25
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CON_Troll View Post
(I use the same avatar for both.)
I think you just answered your own question. If you use the avatar on Steam, why are you surprised to see the avatar you chose to use on Steam?
Old 10-09-2017, 11:35 PM   #26
CON_Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranitePenguin View Post
I think you just answered your own question. If you use the avatar on Steam, why are you surprised to see the avatar you chose to use on Steam?
Uhm, because I saw the avatar on OGRE's main page, not on Steam. I realize that OGRE is verified through Steam, but since I use the exact same avatar for both Steam and the SJG forum here, I was wondering if maybe Auroch had made some arrangement to link to the forums here.

I've just never seen my Steam avatar in any other game on the main menu. Hence my confusion.

EDIT: Sorry, wolf90, I just noticed your post above. I'll move on to the Ogre Video Game subforum. Sorry, didn't know that was up.

Last edited by CON_Troll; 10-09-2017 at 11:40 PM.
CON_Troll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 08:22 AM   #27
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CON_Troll View Post
Uhm, because I saw the avatar on OGRE's main page, not on Steam. I realize that OGRE is verified through Steam, but since I use the exact same avatar for both Steam and the SJG forum here, I was wondering if maybe Auroch had made some arrangement to link to the forums here.

I've just never seen my Steam avatar in any other game on the main menu. Hence my confusion.
Yeah, I could see that; I didn't interpret it that way. I assumed "Steam game" = "Steam avatar" and didn't think anything of it. I have almost no experience with Steam, so had no reason to expect anything different.