Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 07-07-2010, 01:58 PM   #1
Rudkin

Default Any change to card size with new printing [Super Munchkin]?

Recently, in this thread I was made aware of the fact that the fantasy Munchkin 19th printing was a different size than previous printings, and that old and new cards didn't shuffle together nicely. It was also said that Munchkin Cthulhu 4 should fit properly with older printings of Cthulhu 1-3 without incident (if I understood Andrew Hackard correctly).

With the new release of Super Munchkin (SM), I was wondering what size of cards it had; my FLGS has a few exrta copies of Super Munchkin 2 (SM2) kicking around, and I was thinking I would pick up a new copy of SM when they get them in, but will the new printing of SM be the same size as the old SM2 cards, or will it have the same problem that using the 19th printing of fantasy Munchkin with older expansion cards have?

...I hope that made sense.
Old 07-07-2010, 03:35 PM   #2
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Default Re: Any change to card size with new printing [Super Munchkin]?

Quick answer: I'm not sure.

Longer answer: I want to be very clear, given how you worded your question, to make it clear that we're talking about a difference of a millimeter or less, and that this was not a DELIBERATE change, merely an artifact of using different printers at different times. (I know you know this; I'm being pedantic because the last thing I need is to start a "SJ Games made the new Munchkin printings a different size so we'd have to buy everything all over again!" rumor. We didn't. Snot true.)

Everything we have printed since about this time last year has come from a single printer, and therefore the cards should all be cut to the same specifications, but we cannot guarantee 100% compatibility with older printings. There may be slight variations in card height, width, or corner rounding. If this really bugs you, I suggest card sleeves.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 10:11 PM   #3
Rudkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post
Quick answer: I'm not sure.

Longer answer: I want to be very clear, given how you worded your question, to make it clear that we're talking about a difference of a millimeter or less, and that this was not a DELIBERATE change, merely an artifact of using different printers at different times.
Thanks, Andrew. I certainly didn't mean to imply that it was some malevolent plot on SJG's part to get more sales, or anything like that. I just figured I'd ask, in case it was known. Sounds like I'll just have to get the two boxes and see for myself if they were from the same printers.
Old 07-07-2010, 11:35 PM   #4
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudkin View Post
Thanks, Andrew. I certainly didn't mean to imply that it was some malevolent plot on SJG's part to get more sales, or anything like that.
I know you didn't, but it's a touchy subject because it's such an annoying problem. What I meant to say about Cth4 is that it will mix with the NEW printings of Cth1-3, but I don't know where we had the PREVIOUS printings done and I can't guarantee that they'll match exactly.

With luck, in a couple of years this will be less of a problem because we've standardized on a single printer, and as old product flushes through the supply chain, it will be reprinted at the same place using the same die to cut the cards.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
munchkin, new printing