Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-06-2012, 10:46 PM   #11
Lamech

Default Re: [Banestorm] Wizard Builds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oni5115 View Post
I'm possibly playing a wizard character in an upcoming campaign for Banestorm. I'm not certain on the point limit yet; probably in the 150-200 pt range though.

1. Would an enchanter or golemancer be effective? (as opposed to a more traditional battle wizard).
Hmm... the best I could do on 200 points is:

Jim the master enchanter: IQ 16 [100], Archmage: 2 [20] Magery (dance) 5 [35], 20 spells for enchant prereq [20] Bless [1] Enchant [1] Various specific enchant spells [23] Allies: "Apprentices"*4 (on a 15 or better) 100% of your point value [60] Other to round out character [20] Disadvantage [-100]

That gives you 10 energy+3 to 4 helpers, all probably clocking in at 15ish. Plus whatever can be scrounged from power stones. You should be able to ding 100 with powerstones for Q+D. (Also note you can dish out the bless spell at 2 to everyone.) You do much better at 250 to 300 points. If the GM lets you pull a reasonable amount of negative FP that can also increase it a bit more. Finally, enslave is a viable casting option (as is youth) with this level of power. Actual enchantments include, hideaway, cornucopia, quick-aim, fortify, staff, deflect, lighten, powerstone, bless...

If you had another 100 points, this would go much better. You could add three more apprentices, probably even cook up lesser wishes. If the GM allows enchantment only, special recharge ER this would also go a lot better.

Not sure how much fun you would have with it though. I mean, you'll give everyone just a touch more DR, make them roll a bit better ect.
Hiriko
Andrew
Lamech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 09:22 AM   #12
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamech View Post
Jim the master enchanter: IQ 16 [100], Archmage: 2 [20] Magery (dance) 5 [35], 20 spells for enchant prereq [20] Bless [1] Enchant [1] Various specific enchant spells [23] Allies: "Apprentices"*4 (on a 15 or better) 100% of your point value [60] Other to round out character [20] Disadvantage [-100]
Magery above level four is vanishingly rare in Ytarria, and an aspected archmage would be more unusual yet. Not really a criticism, just sayin'

Dance Magery doesn't seem like a good fit for an enchanter. Maybe one of the temporal aspects would work better?

Last edited by Not another shrubbery; 07-18-2012 at 11:02 AM. Reason: spelling
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 04:04 PM   #13
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

I did this guy for some thread about Enchanters for only 150 points.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 01:24 PM   #14
PhoenixPaw

Enchanter effective in a Banestorm Campaign?

Beside the months or years of down-time to make anything (unless it's something very simple like Penetrating Blade on an arrow, which is doable through Q&D-enchanting) sure. Can be very useful for the group.

I would probably rather go for (in order of preference):
1- Healing (can reduce recovery time after a fight from a week to a couple of hours)
2- Meta (esp. Ward, Counter-spell & Remove Curse)
3- Mind Control (Daze, Sleep, False Memory, Ecstasy, Hallucination, Enslave ... lots of goodies there to pick)
4- Light and Darkness (all I say is: "continual light"-rocks & invisibility)
5- Body Control (Might, Retch, Spasm to name a few.)
Old 07-14-2012, 02:43 PM   #15
Oni5115

We'll be building on 200 points. I'm planning to do a little... lot of dabbling really. Enchant + Powerstone + Recharge Powerstone -- maybe a couple of other minor enchants. Stuff I can do Q&D on.

Amusingly, I ended up not too far from your list PhoenixPaw:
Healing (Minor/Major Healing, Healing Slumber)
Meta (Counter Spell, Remove Curse)
Body Control (Itch, Spasm, Pain, Stun, Vigor, Frailty, Fumble, Choke, Clumsiness)
Movement:(Flight, Hawk Flight, Glue, Grease, Haste, Great Haste, Slow).

Remove Curse has a crazy prerequisite; namely spells from each of 15 different colleges. That is some serious dabbling. So I might end up taking Flame Jet and/or some other spells. I'm really trying to find good utility in several colleges to get access.

I will take a look at mind control again. I was thinking a not super flashy wizard that disabled enemies while also being the party speaker. We've got a spartan and another wizard. He's going with food, fire, and maybe some others.
Oni5115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 04:28 PM   #16
Lamech

Quote:
We'll be building on 200 points. I'm planning to do a little... lot of dabbling really. Enchant + Powerstone + Recharge Powerstone -- maybe a couple of other minor enchants. Stuff I can do Q&D on.

Amusingly, I ended up not too far from your list PhoenixPaw:
Healing (Minor/Major Healing, Healing Slumber)
Meta (Counter Spell, Remove Curse)
Body Control (Itch, Spasm, Pain, Stun, Vigor, Frailty, Fumble, Choke, Clumsiness)
Movement:(Flight, Hawk Flight, Glue, Grease, Haste, Great Haste, Slow).

Remove Curse has a crazy prerequisite; namely spells from each of 15 different colleges. That is some serious dabbling. So I might end up taking Flame Jet and/or some other spells. I'm really trying to find good utility in several colleges to get access.

I will take a look at mind control again. I was thinking a not super flashy wizard that disabled enemies while also being the party speaker. We've got a spartan and another wizard. He's going with food, fire, and maybe some others.
I still recommend bless. It gives +1 to everything ever. +1 or 2 striking strength (it increases damage) +1 IQ, +1 to all DX skills +1 to all defenses. Saves lives when it crunch time. Its amazing and you should take it. In addition missile shield rocks (also if you can get 20 missile shiled I recommend leaving it up at all times).
Hiriko
Andrew
Lamech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 08:00 PM   #17
Fred Brackin

Quote:

Remove Curse has a crazy prerequisite; namely spells from each of 15 different colleges. That is some serious dabbling. So I might end up taking Flame Jet and/or some other spells. .
Probably more limiting in most cicumstances is the 20 energy cost to cast. 15 Colleges is just 5 more spells after you decided to be an Enchanter.

If I could hanfle the 20 energy I'd find the 5pts for the prereqs. Remove Curse solves an amazing nmber of problems.
Old 07-15-2012, 01:23 AM   #18
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery View Post
Magery above level four is vanishingly rare in Ytarria, and an aspected archmage would be more unusual yet. Not really a criticism, just sayin'

Dance Magery doesn't seem like a god fit for an enchanter. Maybe one of the temporal aspects would work better?
IIRC, Archmage is the UB charged for more than 3 levels of Magery.

I think it makes for a better world, when Magery isn't limited by level, but rather by the amounts of points put into it. Whether it's a hard or soft limit, although soft limits are of course always preferable. And that would of course make Aspected Archmages more common than non-Aspected ones.
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 11:05 AM   #19
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Knutsen View Post
IIRC, Archmage is the UB charged for more than 3 levels of Magery.
Yes. It also seems to be a general term used to refer to such mages.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:15 AM   #20
Bibiribobiri

Ive made this guy with 150 points.

You could upgrade him with the extra 50 :)

Its on tread "warrior/wizard":
http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=88857&page=5

(sorry dont know how to link a post)
Bibiribobiri is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
banestorm, wizard, wizard build