Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-09-2013, 06:54 AM   #1
Empada

Default costs of Modular abilities with disavantages

Hi, I'm not experienced in GURPS and will start a Sci-fi campaing with the possibiliy of chip entrance (*sorry if the term is wrong, my GURPS is in portuguese and I don't know some of the specific terms translation).

I want to make diferent kinds of chip entrance and I don't know how to price it. my problem is, the chip of lower TL come with a disavantage (-5 for every 2 points of skill) example: the chip with 4 points in "following*" skill bring also the "paranoic*"(-10) disavantage. the chip with 6 points in "battlesuit*" come with "Sadism*" (-15) disavantage.

the disavantage only work while the chip is on and normal TL chips don't have this problem.

I also want to make 2 kinds of Chip entrance, one of low TL, with always have de disavantage problem and a normal TL, with only have this problem with old program versions.

solving with the price of the chip is also an option, but I'm not sure how to handle it.

Thanks.
Empada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 07:11 AM   #2
johndallman
Night Watchman

Default Re: costs of Modular abilities with disavantages

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empada View Post
Hi, I'm not experienced in GURPS and will start a Sci-fi campaing with the possibiliy of chip entrance (*sorry if the term is wrong, my GURPS is in portuguese and I don't know some of the specific terms translation).
If by "entrance", you mean the thing that the chip goes into to make its skill available to the person, the usual term is "socket".
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 07:30 AM   #3
Nereidalbel

Build the disadvantage into each chip. The higher TL version without the disadvantage is simply more expensive.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 07:32 AM   #4
Dwarf99

Basically it looks like you've got chip slots that are disadvantageous "meta traits" and would count against the campaign's disadvantage limit. I do wonder though, if you have multiple sockets could more than one socket share a disadvantage, say three 2 point slots share a -15 point disadvantage?
Dwarf99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 07:33 AM   #5
Anders

Isn't this "Nuisance Effect" worth -1% per point the disadvantage costs?
Old 12-09-2013, 07:40 AM   #6
Figleaf23
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empada View Post

I want to make diferent kinds of chip entrance and I don't know how to price it. my problem is, the chip of lower TL come with a disavantage (-5 for every 2 points of skill) example: the chip with 4 points in "following*" skill bring also the "paranoic*"(-10) disavantage. the chip with 6 points in "battlesuit*" come with "Sadism*" (-15) disavantage.

the disavantage only work while the chip is on and normal TL chips don't have this problem.
Build the ability of each chip, and find the point cost. Then apply the Temporary Disadvantage modifier (page B115 in the English set), appropriate for whichever disad you want to go with it.
Figleaf23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 08:33 AM   #7
the_matrix_walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figleaf23 View Post
Build the ability of each chip, and find the point cost. Then apply the Temporary Disadvantage modifier (page B115 in the English set), appropriate for whichever disad you want to go with it.
This sounds like the obvious RAW way to go...
the_matrix_walker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chip, modular abilities, modular ability