Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars > Car Wars Old Editions

Old 12-20-2009, 09:20 PM   #51
Parody

Default Re: Car Wars 5e Vehicle Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoob View Post
The Car Wars Compendium I have (2nd Edition 1998, SJ#1301) quotes a JD as loaded cost $50, 125lbs with 5 shots. 25lbs per shot. This in itself doesn't make a lot of sense, and I think its a typo by SJ. It should be 150lbs loaded weight, but perhaps that's besides the point.
FWIW: both the CWC2.5 (which I'm guessing is the one you have: a black and green cover) and the UACFH have the JD at $50, 25 lbs., 1 space, 10 shots at $0 and 10 lbs. each making it $50 and 125 lbs. loaded.

Addition: so does the Blue CWC2.

More additions: Ahh, I see what you're saying now. The chart in the back of the CWC2.5 differs from every other reference, including the chart in the back of the UACFH and the text in the CWC2.5. Interesting typo.

Last edited by Parody; 12-20-2009 at 09:46 PM.
Parody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 10:19 PM   #52
Stoob

Yep, I've got the green and black CWC2, correction on the number there...it's catalog #7142 published in '98.

You are correct about the typo, I'm looking at the chart on pages 51 and 137 of my book, and it does say a JD is $50, 25lbs and 1 space unloaded. 5 ammo capacity. CPS and WPS are $0 and 25lbs. L$ listed is $50 and LWt is 125 lbs.

This is totally different from what it says on page 101, in the text, where the WPS is 10 lbs and ammo capacity 10.

Dats what muh book says, maybe it's an old version or a misprint? I wonder if they corrected this in the recent CWC PDF?

Thanks for checking...for now I'll assume that you guys know better than I do, and my chart in the book is wrong. I'll go with the text in CWC and Uncle Als CFH as the real numbers.

UPDATE: I checked the Errata on this website and it doesn't address the discrepancy in the WPS and Ammo for the JD in any version of CWC.

QUESTION: Can someone who has downloaded the PDF version of CWC confirm if the discrepancy still exists? THANKS!

Last edited by Stoob; 12-20-2009 at 10:43 PM.
Stoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 10:55 PM   #53
Parody

Quote:
QUESTION: Can someone who has downloaded the PDF version of CWC confirm if the discrepancy still exists? THANKS!
Yes, it's still there. AFAIK, the text in the PDF is unchanged from the print version.

Last edited by Parody; 12-20-2009 at 10:58 PM.
Parody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 11:51 PM   #54
Stoob

If it is there, maybe we should report it to the authorities, and they could put in on the errata pages on the website at least.
Old 12-21-2009, 01:09 AM   #55
chaoticsyst3m

Quote:
I'm curious why you put in your document a hypothetical 5e construction cost for a JD as 275 lbs, 1 space, 10 shots. I don't want to assume you made an error... is there something I don't know about how you came up with these numbers?
Looking at it now, I have no idea why I used that weight for a hypothetical 5e Junk Dropper. I'll just edit in the CWC2 weight. There are a lot of CWC2 components that will blend into 5e just fine - don't be afraid to add your own. My short list of easily-added components is by no means exhaustive. I do recommend staying away from things that have a cost/weight/space based on another component (such as component armor or bumper spikes) as 5e gave stuff like that a fixed cost/weight/space for simplicity.
chaoticsyst3m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 01:30 AM   #56
chaoticsyst3m

Quote:
You are correct about the typo, I'm looking at the chart on pages 51 and 137 of my book, and CPS and WPS are $0 and 25lbs. This is totally different from what it says on page 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaoticsyst3m View Post
Looking at it now, I have no idea why I used that weight
Okay...yep...that typo in the CWC2 weapon charts explains my temporary insanity.
chaoticsyst3m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 08:24 AM   #57
Parody

Quote:
If it is there, maybe we should report it to the authorities, and they could put in on the errata pages on the website at least.
Always a good idea, but don't hold your breath waiting for it to get updated. The actual errata on that page hasn't changed since at least 1998.
Old 12-21-2009, 11:19 AM   #58
Stoob

I have reported the typo to the Errata department using their website form. We'll see what happens. Thanks guys.

Chaotic, thanks again for doing these 5e rules.

FYI: Soon I will be posted some self-made CW 5e compatible Ice Counters as well as at least 4 of my own 5e-sized vehicle counters.
Old 12-29-2009, 10:15 AM   #59
Stoob

In CWC there are limits regarding body size and turrets. For instance, IIRC a 2 space turret could not be placed on a subcompact or compact. A compact could hold a 1 space turret.

Although they don't specifically mention it in CW5, no sub or compact that I could find in CW5 has a turret at all. I'm assuming that the same rules regarding body size and turrets apply to CW5, they just never got published...sound reasonable to you?
Old 12-29-2009, 10:48 AM   #60
DSumner

I've got a couple of ideas for some gear that could be used in 5e, any of you guys interested in seeing them? If so, I'll post hem later in the week.

"Death is certain, life is not."

"No one assails me without punishment"
DSumner is offline   Reply With Quote