Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Traveller

Old 03-20-2018, 12:33 PM   #21
hal

Default Re: Lunion - implied history and inferences

Hello Jason,
To use an old Pythonesque phrase, Hans has joined the choir invisible. That is to say, he and Stephen Hawking have left this world. As a consequence, the answer to your question will have to come from other sources.

Hal
hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 02:01 PM   #22
jason taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal View Post
Hello Jason,
To use an old Pythonesque phrase, Hans has joined the choir invisible. That is to say, he and Stephen Hawking have left this world. As a consequence, the answer to your question will have to come from other sources.

Hal
I know, I was there for the obituary. It is still an interesting question.
Old 03-27-2018, 06:34 AM   #23
Fortitude

As a blue collar, I give a rather skeptical look to "ready to think" ideas.
Water worlds, like Lunion, are good for one thing : oil. Precisely, a vital material to any high tech society : plastic.
I used to work in a central europa old Dupond de Neumours plastic factory and I had a taste of what could have tinted Lunion athmosphere. ;)
Fortitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 06:52 AM   #24
hal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortitude View Post
As a blue collar, I give a rather skeptical look to "ready to think" ideas.
Water worlds, like Lunion, are good for one thing : oil. Precisely, a vital material to any high tech society : plastic.
I used to work in a central europa old Dupond de Neumours plastic factory and I had a taste of what could have tinted Lunion athmosphere. ;)
That "taint" aspect of what you figure could have tinted the Lunion atmosphere, would be a largely local effect. Bad as smog may be in some of the Chinese cities or in California - that same effect is not present in New England, the Sudan, or any other location on Earth. By that definition, Earth should be defined as a tainted world, yet, in reality, is Earth a tainted atmosphere?
Old 03-27-2018, 08:53 PM   #25
warellis

Quote:
That "taint" aspect of what you figure could have tinted the Lunion atmosphere, would be a largely local effect. Bad as smog may be in some of the Chinese cities or in California - that same effect is not present in New England, the Sudan, or any other location on Earth. By that definition, Earth should be defined as a tainted world, yet, in reality, is Earth a tainted atmosphere?
Could increasing desertification or soil depletion, along with higher temperatures possibly causing storms and stronger winds, possibly also cause more widespread air quality issues?

For example, Beijing's air quality goes down quickly in the winter due to using coal for heating in addition to dust from Mongolia flying into it due to strong winds.
warellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 01:27 AM   #26
Fortitude

I wasn't clear, and I beg your pardon for that.
The important words, in Lunion description are "tainted" AND "corporates"
Have you ever smell the smoke in London, and cough to the point you wearn't able to take your breath back ? Do you know people who are dying after ten years living in Beijin ? Did you ever had a doubt, on your chances of surviving, when you heard the sirens screaming in industrial conplexe ?
My version of "tainted" Lunion is a mix of all of that. It's fearsome, not because I make it credible, but because it's something everyone fear for him self and its familly in the future. ;)

A good science fiction background works better if players may think of it as a reality.
Old 03-28-2018, 10:20 AM   #27
hal

Quote:
Originally Posted by warellis View Post
Could increasing desertification or soil depletion, along with higher temperatures possibly causing storms and stronger winds, possibly also cause more widespread air quality issues?

For example, Beijing's air quality goes down quickly in the winter due to using coal for heating in addition to dust from Mongolia flying into it due to strong winds.
What you're describing above qualifies as local conditions for the most part. If the entire world starts to suffer desertification, soil depletion, water vapor issues - then yes, we're talking in a large part, of a dying world. But you won't see a couple living in Western New York donning respirators because of conditions in china. ;)
Old 03-29-2018, 02:00 AM   #28
Fortitude

Quote:
But you won't see a couple living in Western New York donning respirators because of conditions in china. ;)
Well, but it's a pitty; in my state, there is 76.000 death a year of breathing illness. It's an area that is seen as "clean". Everyone knows it isn't because of tabacco AND that's ten times the car crash toll.
You knows that your air is lethal BUT, since the last ten years, it's not a problem anymore, because this worst in China. :D

There is something else about Lunion, is full of non human workers, jonkeereens, aslans, sword worlders too (noted in SJG Sword worlds). So called underclass, ready to work for a miserable salary. Can't you see the nice Charles Dickens hell that we have there ? :)