Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 02-18-2018, 02:17 PM   #1
Hrothgar Rannúlfr

Default Bigger and Smaller Weapons

Are there rules for weapons of unusual size in the DFRPG?

Say a delver wanted to use an ogre's maul... How is that handled?
Hrothgar Rannúlfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 05:44 PM   #2
Rasputin

Default Re: Bigger and Smaller Weapons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrothgar Rannúlfr View Post
Are there rules for weapons of unusual size in the DFRPG?

Not in DFRPG. There are two versions of rules for this:

GURPS Dungeon Fantasy 1: Adventurers and GURPS Dungeon Fantasy 3: The Next Level. DF1 handles SM+1 equipment (barbarians, ogres) while DF3 handles SM-1 (gnome) to SM-6 (pixie) equipment. Personally, these really hose little guys.
GURPS Low-Tech Companion 2: Weapons and Warriors. More versatile and generic. Much of the book otherwise would be of better use if you have GURPS Low-Tech, however, while DF3 has use in a DFRPG game. (DF1, aside from the armor rules, is almost all in DFRPG.)

My GURPS blog.
Rasputin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 05:45 PM   #3
Rasputin

Quote:
As for trying to use the maul, he'd be at -1 for each SM of difference on top of any penalties for having ST below the weapon's minimum (which will assuredly be higher since it's heavier).

My GURPS blog.
Rasputin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 07:10 PM   #4
Hrothgar Rannúlfr

Thanks, Rasputin.

Much appreciated. Just got my DFRPG boxed set, less than a week ago and am reading through it.

Having played Pathfinder, I know that the PF pre-gen Barbarian has a frost giant-sized bastard sword and that Pathfinder has rules for when the sizes don't match. So, was hoping that DFRPG did, as well.

From looking at the DFRPG Ogre's stats, it looks like his maul does the same damage as I would expect if a human with the same strength were wielding a maul. Nor does the ogre have any more reach with his maul than a human would. So, from looking at it from that perspective, maybe this ogre's maul isn't really any larger or more massive than a human-sized maul would be.
Old 02-18-2018, 07:53 PM   #5
tbone

Quote:
So, from looking at it from that perspective, maybe this ogre's maul isn't really any larger or more massive than a human-sized maul would be.
I'm not able to look at the materials right now, but based on what you say, I'd assume the same: the ogre is using a human maul. Which is fine. Humans use little stuff like knives and shortswords; ogres are sure to use "little" stuff too, like human mauls.

The benefit, from DFRPG's point of view, is that the PCs can dispatch the ogre, take his maul, and use it as they like, with no need to add more weapon stats or "big weapon" rules to the books.

If you do want to design stuff, Rasputin's summary of published rules sources is perfect. The rules are a scattered bunch; if there's a GURPS 5e someday, I hope it will organize and collect all these options into Basic Set.

If you want to check out a home-made solution, I have a simple "weapon design system" for 4e here (with more blather about it here). It works well, though its roots go back to 3e, when there was very little in the way of published rules on the topic. For your 4e games, you may be perfectly happy using the official rules from DF or Low-Tech.

Twitter: @Gamesdiner | RSS: here ⬅︎ Updated RSS link | This forum: Site updates thread (occasionally updated)

(Latest goods on site: GLAIVE Mini levels up to v2.4. Update to melee weapon design tool, with more example weapons and commentary.)
tbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 12:35 AM   #6
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post

GURPS Dungeon Fantasy 1: Adventurers and GURPS Dungeon Fantasy 3: The Next Level. DF1 handles SM+1 equipment (barbarians, ogres) while DF3 handles SM-1 (gnome) to SM-6 (pixie) equipment. Personally, these really hose little guys.
GURPS Low-Tech Companion 2: Weapons and Warriors. More versatile and generic. Much of the book otherwise would be of better use if you have GURPS Low-Tech, however, while DF3 has use in a DFRPG game. (DF1, aside from the armor rules, is almost all in DFRPG.)
You've missed GURPS 4th Dungeon Fantasy Denizens Barbarians, which covers weapons sized up to SM+1, SM+2, SM+3 and (with extrapolation) beyond.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 01:52 PM   #7
demonsbane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
You've missed GURPS 4th Dungeon Fantasy Denizens Barbarians, which covers weapons sized up to SM+1, SM+2, SM+3 and (with extrapolation) beyond.
Excellent references.

And if one wants to delve even deeper into the subject here, there's also GURPS Fantasy-Tech 2: Weapons of Fantasy, expressly covering giant weapons among other options; it's basically compatible with the Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game.

"Physics is basic but inessential."
Wolfgang Smith

My G+
demonsbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 06:15 PM   #8
Hrothgar Rannúlfr

Thank you, all.

These responses definitely help me to get ready to introduce my group to GURPS DFRPG, soon.
Old 02-19-2018, 10:30 PM   #9
Colarmel

In DFRPG, straight out of the box, I'd just do an appropriate penalty per difference in SM. And just guess at the increase in weight and effective ST. So for an oversized maul, say it weighs 18 lbs and it requires based on the ST to weight ratio of the maul, 18-20 ST.

It won't match up with the more exacting rules of the sources cited upthread, but it'll do for playability in the short term.
Colarmel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weapon scaling