Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 10-06-2012, 10:15 PM   #1
tremorlaine

Default Mate

Our playgroup just had a 30 minute debate/argument. Even though I argued the loudest they aren't satisfied. Here is the scenario.

Scary Clowns was played (Level 9, 3 treasures). Enraged was played on it. (+5, +1 treasure). Mate was then played. We agreed that it then became a combined Level 28 creature. The sticking point was the +1 treasure from the Enraged card. Half the table argued that the final result of the combat was that the combined creature gave 2 levels and 7 treasures. The other half argued that is should be 2 levels and 8 treasures.

The disagreement was the text of Mate where the 7 treasure group said the Monster Enhancer meant the +5 enhancement only and not the 1 treasure was duplicated.

The other group said that it duplicated the Monster Enhancer in its entirety.

Which is the correct answer?
tremorlaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:49 PM   #2
DoomedDuck

Default Re: Mate

Mate duplicates the first monster entirely. The first monster has a combat strength of 14 and gives 1 level and 4 treasures. Therefore, with Mate, there is now 2 monsters with combat strengths of 14 each, and each giving 1 level and 4 treasures. This totals to a monster combat strength of 28 worth 2 levels and 8 treasures.
DoomedDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:52 PM   #3
HumphreyBraggart

I would say that the "Monster Enhancer" is the card. +5 is just the combat bonus, not the Monster Enhancer in its entirety. The way I read the card is to imagine that you have two of the same monster with all of the same cards played on it (excluding the Mate card for obvious reasons). I am not sure that would include One Shots though I believe thats the way my group has played it.

Edit: I believe most One Shots specify a "side" of the battle it effects, so those shouldn't duplicate.
HumphreyBraggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 05:00 AM   #4
MunchkinMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumphreyBraggart View Post
I would say that the "Monster Enhancer" is the card. +5 is just the combat bonus, not the Monster Enhancer in its entirety. The way I read the card is to imagine that you have two of the same monster with all of the same cards played on it (excluding the Mate card for obvious reasons). I am not sure that would include One Shots though I believe thats the way my group has played it.

Edit: I believe most One Shots specify a "side" of the battle it effects, so those shouldn't duplicate.
The Mate card states that only Monster Enhancers, which are specific type of card, gets duplicated, so you are correct: One-shot Items don't get duplicated.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 05:02 AM   #5
MunchkinMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomedDuck View Post
Mate duplicates the first monster entirely. The first monster has a combat strength of 14 and gives 1 level and 4 treasures. Therefore, with Mate, there is now 2 monsters with combat strengths of 14 each, and each giving 1 level and 4 treasures. This totals to a monster combat strength of 28 worth 2 levels and 8 treasures.
This pretty much has it down succinctly.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote