Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > The Network > GURPS Character Builder

Old 02-11-2005, 06:06 PM   #1
adm

Default Those who WANT to stay with GCB

What are the chances that an upgrade patch for GCB 3E to GCB 4E, either Official or unoffical, free or at a nominal fee, will ever be approved/ released by SJGs?

Irritated GCB owner,
adm
Old 02-11-2005, 06:50 PM   #2
jahn

Default Re: Those who WANT to stay with GCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by adm
What are the chances that an upgrade patch for GCB 3E to GCB 4E, either Official or unoffical, free or at a nominal fee, will ever be approved/ released by SJGs?
Since GURPS Character Builder (for 3rd Edition) and GURPS Character Assistant (for 4th Edition) are totally different programs written by two different people, I would say the chance is 0% GCA is not a modification of GCB so there is no way to patch (well, the patch would just replace one program with the other). So what you need to ask for is an upgrade discount price for current GCB owners.
Old 02-11-2005, 10:53 PM   #3
adm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahn
So what you need to ask for is an upgrade discount price for current GCB owners.
Which, I believe, is what I asked for.

adm
Old 02-12-2005, 01:19 AM   #4
jahn

Quote:
Originally Posted by adm
Which, I believe, is what I asked for.
Hmm, I guess I misunderstood you. To me a patch is the fraction of the changes you need to update an application. Since in this case the patch would be the whole of the new application, it's not really a patch at all.
Old 02-12-2005, 05:39 AM   #5
adm

Perhaps I should have been more clear, that was why I listed the fee option. My appologies if I snaped at you.

As someone who went with the Official Program, I am highly irritated that they now or going with the other program, and offering no way to upgrade our current charectors to boot.

adm
Old 02-22-2005, 07:14 PM   #6
laserdog

What annoys me the most, is that GCB was clearly written with flexibility in mind. Modifying the stats and redoing the skills, advs and disads seems like a weekend task for someone really familiar with it...

(Clearly some stuff, like innate attacks, etc would be missing)

And yet, a half year later, no official patches or even a single game aid are available to help us bridge the gap to the release of GCA??

I guess I can understand them not wanting to dump resources into something they don't want to market anymore. But what about user submitted ones?

And while I have the utmost confidence in SJG not to make purely "evil" decisions, the glaring lack of any official 4th edition GCB stuff showing up anywhere seems kinda fishy to me.

I swear within a week of the release of 4th edition Lite I saw a half-dozen people saying they were working on GCB compatability for it. Did they all give up? Or did none of them choose to submit it?
laserdog is offline   Reply With Quote