Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-21-2009, 04:47 PM   #1
Tyneras

Default Explosive robot character

Okay, we were brainstorming various characters last night, and one of the ideas was for a powerful combat robot that suffered from an unstable power supply/ammo. The idea we had was that it could be a walking mech (or maybe flying), but have several independent weapon systems that can explode if hit to hard. We figured that is we combined Independent Limbs (the weapons) and Fragile: Explosive, we could have individual weapons explode without the whole mech going up at once. I was thinking to base the weapons going kaboom off the limb HP, rather than total HP, resulting in smaller but more numerous explosions. Does this look right? Are we overlooking anything?
Old 08-21-2009, 05:06 PM   #2
Dwarf99

Default Re: Explosive robot character

I don't know if it's RAW but I'd do it that way or add Cosmic to represent the rules breech of only using arm or leg HP if it isn't RAW
Dwarf99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 12:23 AM   #3
Tommi_Kovala

I have an almost identical character in a campaign I'm in. The only difference is that we wanted to make only hits to the main reactor count. So he's Fragile: Explosive (torso hits only). I'd actually recommend something of this sort.
I don't have the books on me now, but if you buy it for a specific body part, would it make any sense to buy it several times? You know, that way you could get different effects. The torso could explode in a massive radioactive mushroom cloud while arm hits might produce smaller kabooms.
Tommi_Kovala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 09:21 PM   #4
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommi_Kovala
I don't have the books on me now, but if you buy it for a specific body part, would it make any sense to buy it several times?
I don't think so. Buying it with a limitation for a certain body part looks reasonable, but multiple instances should not be worth more than the base form of the disad.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 12:43 AM   #5
bcd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyneras View Post
The idea we had was that it could be a walking mech (or maybe flying), but have several independent weapon systems that can explode if hit to hard. We figured that is we combined Independent Limbs (the weapons) and Fragile: Explosive, we could have individual weapons explode without the whole mech going up at once.
Doesn't Fragile:Brittle do almost exactly what you want if each weapon is considered a limb, except change the flavour text from "shatters or liquefies" to "explodes"?

If the explosions also cause further damage (to the 'bot and bystanders) this may have to be modeled as separate on-off attacks of sorts.
bcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 11:47 PM   #6
Tommi_Kovala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery View Post
I don't think so. Buying it with a limitation for a certain body part looks reasonable, but multiple instances should not be worth more than the base form of the disad.
but that's a matter of pricing the limitation, innit.
Anyway, I'll keep this thread in mind. I'll post as soon as I can think of a sensible solution. It's often the case with these discussions that the resulting (dis)advantages are mechanically sound and get you roughly the results you need, but the price is silly. I'm reminded of a discussion on the curse of lycanthropy where one "solution" actually left you paying points for being cursed…
Tommi_Kovala is offline   Reply With Quote