Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-26-2019, 03:56 AM   #1
scc

Default Martial Arts In Dungeon Fantasy

So I'm wondering if anyone's tried this and how it worked out. In particular I'm interested in Martial Arts Styles, they don't tend to offer very powerful or showy abilities, and if they do they may often be restricted by niche protection (like Kai).

With this last in mind I opened up Yrth Fighting Styles for a look through. The styles in this book are not surprisingly a better fit for DF. Berserkergang however pulled me up short, unsurprisingly not only is it almost purpose built for Barbarians, but some of the abilities it offers are potentially OP, specifically Barbarians already have Mountain of Meat, but combined with Special Exercises (Extra HP up to +100% of ST), that might allow HP up to three times ST. And the Supernatural Warrior options make this worse, not only could HP now equal FOUR times ST when Berserk, but you might use upgraded ST in that calculation, a Barbarian might have ST 35, Great Rage 2 ( +10 ST) and a magic belt that adds a further +5, meaning you have ST 50 for determining HP and you can have twice that when Berserk.
scc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 12:37 PM   #2
Black Leviathan

Default Re: Martial Arts In Dungeon Fantasy

A lot of Martial arts is already in Dungeon Fantasy in the sense of Style Perks that are just allowed as Perks for some classes. And it seems to work really well in that context. Most DF characters certainly have enough skill in their fighting style that it would make sense for them to be perked. I'd say rather than building a complex style just make combat perks that would be cool available to the class you think is appropriate for them. If there's a cool technique look at the cost to buy it at skill level and offer it as a potential advantage.
Black Leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote