Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Transhuman Space

Old 07-29-2013, 03:21 PM   #11
Flyndaran
Untagged

Default Re: An Article on brain Mapping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromancer View Post
No, I was suggesting that the chances of horriffic and pittiable outcomes was so great, that gaining the maxium possible relavent data was the only way to have a hope of avoiding crimes against humanity.

Beside cloning monkeys would be valuable for medical research and could be profitable. This would allow a community to grow that had skill and experience with Primate Cloning. vital if you want to clone a human without hideous side effects.
Except that wouldn't eliminate the crimes, merely reduce the number that happen. I doubt those willing to commit the necessary horrors would care about taking the extra time to practice with non human primates when it would be so much faster to just do it with humans.
Old 07-29-2013, 04:08 PM   #12
Keiko
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Except that wouldn't eliminate the crimes, merely reduce the number that happen. I doubt those willing to commit the necessary horrors would care about taking the extra time to practice with non human primates when it would be so much faster to just do it with humans.
Well, there is a chance they'd care less about experimenting with non human primates. Researchers do the same thing now. Not having the same concern or emotional attachment to nonhuman primates or seeing experimenting on them as acceptable doesn't equate to being an amoral monster willing to do anything.
Keiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 04:23 PM   #13
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keiko View Post
Well, there is a chance they'd care less about experimenting with non human primates. Researchers do the same thing now. Not having the same concern or emotional attachment to nonhuman primates or seeing experimenting on them as acceptable doesn't equate to being an amoral monster willing to do anything.
I understand that many people are extremely anthrocentric. But I wasn't even talking about that. I meant that no matter what they do, there will be many human failures when they start actually working with human clones. Working with non human primates first will at most just reduce the number of future mistakes with humans, not avoid them entirely.
Old 07-29-2013, 05:06 PM   #14
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Working with non human primates first will at most just reduce the number of future mistakes with humans, not avoid them entirely.
Probably. There are imaginable breakthroughs that would make the whole process vastly easier, such as resetting telomeres. But in any case, experimenting on primates is going to be less illegal than doing it with humans, which will matter to anyone who isn't a cartoon mad scientist.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 11:17 AM   #15
Astromancer

Quote:
I'm not happy to have it happen with humans at all. But, with organ printing and new technologies that might soon allow new paths of sexual reproduction free of the limits of human sexual and reproductive organs, most of the reasons for cloning humans should go away before clonning of humans is possible. It will still happen because of vanity, but that will be rarer, I hope.

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 11:19 AM   #16
Astromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
Probably. There are imaginable breakthroughs that would make the whole process vastly easier, such as resetting telomeres. But in any case, experimenting on primates is going to be less illegal than doing it with humans, which will matter to anyone who isn't a cartoon mad scientist.
Agreed. Besides, there are far more reasons to clone apes and monkeys than humans. And improvements in biotech will just make this more obvious.

Ancora Imparo
Old 07-30-2013, 08:32 PM   #17
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
I'm not happy to have it happen with humans at all. But, with organ printing and new technologies that might soon allow new paths of sexual reproduction free of the limits of human sexual and reproductive organs, most of the reasons for cloning humans should go away before clonning of humans is possible. It will still happen because of vanity, but that will be rarer, I hope.
I'm not so sure that simple vanity could keep such a multi year horror project going long enough to reach predictable viable results.
Of course being THS, the absurdly implausible is par for the course.
Old 07-31-2013, 10:54 AM   #18
Astromancer

Quote:
I'm not so sure that simple vanity could keep such a multi year horror project going long enough to reach predictable viable results.
People have murdered for the sake of vanity. Never underestimate the dangers of vanity, especially the vanity of the powerful.

Ancora Imparo
Old 07-31-2013, 02:19 PM   #19
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
People have murdered for the sake of vanity. Never underestimate the dangers of vanity, especially the vanity of the powerful.
Oh I don't. I just don't think creating the first viable clones of a unique species is a back alley kind of thing in realistic settings. It would require loads of qualified biotechs, resources, and horrible screw ups before the techniques get hammered out.
I also think that even if such a program occurred, many people would demand the research destroyed, because of the means used to get it.
It's a hell of a lot easier to rationalize animal torture to get your new life sustaining diabetes drug, than deformed short lived human menageries just for a new way to reproduce.
Old 07-31-2013, 02:35 PM   #20
Anthony

Quote:
Honestly, given canonical THS tech, human cloning would be trivial; the required tech is implied by genefixing (if you're able to extra DNA, modify it, and re-insert it into the original or a new egg cell, you can do cloning with the same process).