Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Illuminati Playtest

Old 10-12-2017, 11:11 AM   #11
grimblefig

Default Re: Rules feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Goodwin View Post
It would seem to me that attributes could be useful toward future expansions, especially with things like Brainwash, NWO cards, and the like. Government might no longer be an alignment, but could that change with a NWO out? It could still be useful to know which groups are Government (or rename it State?). Likewise Bank, Church, Computer, Corporate, Person, Resource, Secret.

Plus it would let you say in the rules something like "Attributes don't do anything. Yet." :)
I agree.

With the loss of Government, there are a few fairly high-powered groups that can now be used against the Discordians (groups that were Gov't but not straight, e.g. CIA, New York, Fed. Reserve). Discordia's usual targets make it difficult to defend against these, especially if they use an attack to destroy.

Plus, it does give more hooks for group abilities or specials to work with. Without them, it is a lot more difficult to model today's climate of corporations-running-amok and church-vs-science. Even if they are not currently used, they would be there for future releases or homebrew cards (you are still going to make blank cards, right?).
grimblefig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 06:21 PM   #12
Magesmiley

My comment on FEMA in the other thread got me thinking a bit about the bonus/penalty system used in Illuminati.

When there are two competing sides comparing strengths, I've observed over the years that in most games modifiers get computed faster if they're all positive rather than a mix of pluses and minuses. The difference being who gets the modifier. It might be worth considering making everything into a positive modifier (with negative ones becoming a bonus to the other side).

It also speeds things up a bit with both the defender and attacker dividing up the various modifiers to count up. (You could even make numbers for modifiers inside of an attacker/defender/both icon for easy visibility on the cards).

Just a thought.
Old 10-14-2017, 08:05 PM   #13
Chris Goodwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magesmiley View Post
My comment on FEMA in the other thread got me thinking a bit about the bonus/penalty system used in Illuminati.

When there are two competing sides comparing strengths, I've observed over the years that in most games modifiers get computed faster if they're all positive rather than a mix of pluses and minuses. The difference being who gets the modifier. It might be worth considering making everything into a positive modifier (with negative ones becoming a bonus to the other side).

It also speeds things up a bit with both the defender and attacker dividing up the various modifiers to count up. (You could even make numbers for modifiers inside of an attacker/defender/both icon for easy visibility on the cards).

Just a thought.
I completely second this. Sometimes there are so many modifiers that, when it's the third hour of a seven player game and we're all getting​ a bit punchy, it's easy to lose track of which ones you've counted or mis-subtract. If there's an easy way to word it so that penalties to the attacker become bonuses to the defender I'm all for that.

I've started a subreddit for discussion of INWO and Illuminati. Check it out!
Chris Goodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:42 AM   #14
ChuckEye

The Bibliography in the copy I bought in the late 80s was a must-have reading list for me. The titles are mostly carried over to the new edition, but I'm sure many of them are going to be impossible to find now days. (I replaced my Arkon Daraul a year or two back, but the Wilgus? Good luck…)

Wondering if that section should be updated to include more contemporary books? (Da Vinci Code is the most recent title listed, and its 14 years old now…)
ChuckEye is offline   Reply With Quote